Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Chicago Eats

no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

Chicago Eats

by juan.molina » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:03 am

Any recommendations for Chicago hidden gems? Going up this weekend. Not high end places.
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: Chicago Eats

by JustinHammond » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:48 am

"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:15 pm

Slurping Turtle . . . Japanese restaurant with ramen and noodle dishes featured (posture of man eating noodles is "slurping turtle") . . . fun appetizers (octopus balls) . . . we especially like the seafood noodles (not a ramen) . . . on Hubbard Street, in center of nightlife of the River North area of the city

Hub 51 . . . bar restaurant on Hubbard, maybe a block from Slurping Turtle? . . . features the foods the owners (kids of lettuce entertain you's founder) like, ranging from sushi to salads to sandwiches and some entrees . . . reasonable

Tre Soldis . . . "3 coins", like the movie . . . on Ohio in Streeterville . . . very fine food rating on Zagat (well deserved) in casual relatively inexpensive Italian place . . . food is much better than expected

Silver Spoon Thai Restaurant . . . on Rush Street, adjacent to Thai Consulate . . . zero atmosphere, in a basement, but spotlessly clean and wonderful food

All the above have menu's on-line, so see what you like . . . Only Tre Soldis and Hub 51 take reservations, and you probably should make them if you like those . . . other ideas include:

A tad out of the way, is Sun Wah BBQ on Broadway, 5039 North (so you have to drive to it) . . . make a reservation . . . I don't think it's on the menu, but get Peking Duck (and tell them you want that when you make a reservation) . . . it's (on weekends) maybe $40 for a whole duck, and they do around 400 a night! . . . a duck serves 2-3 easily, and is three courses (sliced with buns/onion/hoisin, soup, and fried rice) . . . primarily an Asian customer base . . . located in a far north Asiatown . . . sliced at your table, and takes less than a minute to carve up entire duck!

Finally, have not been recently, and no reservations, but The Phoenix (in the main South Side Chinatown) has the full rolling cart dim sum for Sunday brunch (really 7 days a week, but enroute out of town on Sunday) . . . as an alternative, hit Manny's Deli (been there around 50 years, old style Jewish deli), on Jefferson at Roosevelt.

Have fun!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

by juan.molina » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:38 pm

Thanks guys. Justin, are those places you have been?
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:08 pm

Cemitas Puebla, trust me. :shock:
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:11 pm

juan.molina wrote:Thanks guys. Justin, are those places you have been?

A mixture of places I've been or places I want to go. I've been to most of them.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:27 am

Au Cheval. Get there early to secure a good spot in line. Get the fried bologna sandwich, burger, or fried chicken. Or all of the above.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:49 pm

Is Hot Doug's still a thing?
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:06 pm

I just watched this episode about Chicago from this show on the Tastemade app. Looks good, hard to tell if it's strictly promotional or not.

https://www.tastemade.com/shows/day-of-gluttony
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:29 pm

SilvioM wrote:I just watched this episode about Chicago from this show on the Tastemade app. Looks good, hard to tell if it's strictly promotional or not.

https://www.tastemade.com/shows/day-of-gluttony

Won't play...need bit coin or login.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:02 pm

Volo in roscoe village, and the Paramount room on Michigan. Chef worked with Puck back in the day. Volo for wine and small plates, paramount for burgers and beer.
no avatar
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:29 am

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/index.php

Cannot recommend this site too highly. They're all about the hidden culinary gems of Chicago.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:45 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:Won't play...need bit coin or login.

Hmm, don't know what to say. I was able to watch without logging in. Saw it the first time on Apple TV, free app.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:00 pm

SilvioM wrote:
Andrew Mellman wrote:Won't play...need bit coin or login.

Hmm, don't know what to say. I was able to watch without logging in. Saw it the first time on Apple TV, free app.

Works for me, too. Mac OS X El Capitan, current version of Chrome. I just clicked the movie, and away it went.
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

by juan.molina » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:41 pm

I went to a work seminar so I didn't have as much time as I thought I would and didn't get to get out to eat. I did go out one night and went to Umami Burger. I didn't realize till just now that is a chain that started in LA. It was good, kind of like Stout or M&BB but different recipes. Right across the street I noticed a ice cream shop, it was called Jeni's and they started in Columbus. There was a line out the door the whole time I was eating dinner. So I went there after dinner and had some ice cream and it was very good.