Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

Waiter Jedi Mind Trick

by Ray Griffith » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:35 am

Maybe I'm just getting grumpier with age, but I have noticed a worsening trend in the last few years. "Was everything just wonderful?" -or- "How was your dinner? Awesome?" (seriously, this is verbatim and accompanied with a huge smile and nodding head). To a lesser extent, I have even heard managers ask similarly worded questions.

Are some restaurants actually training their waitstaff to use this tactic? I certainly hope not.

Perhaps I am just getting too worked up over semantics, but it just seems that these loaded questions are presumptuous and not very professional. If they truly wanted my opinion, they wouldn't word the inquiry this way.

Thoughts?
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Waiter Jedi Mind Trick

by Carla G » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:46 am

But that's just it - it's not about you, your meal, if you are happy. It's about distracting someone long enough to get a good tip. (Heavy sigh) It seems more and more people are being asked to accept the superficial and mediocre in place of quality or craftsmanship. Those exceptions to the rule (and I think we have many here in town) will always get my $.
Or maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:56 am

I've noticed it sometimes, but I try not to be grumpy. I do not always succeed in this, but I suspect it might be more of a generational thing than a conscious scam.
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:32 am

Marketing 101. And yes, companies are training their people to do that.

It's smart business.
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

by juan.molina » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:18 am

Robin Garr wrote:I've noticed it sometimes, but I try not to be grumpy.

It's hard not get grumpy as you get older :lol:
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:26 am

I hate it as well.

Reminds me of the guy with the flair in Office Space.
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:34 am

Not unlike "no problem." I utterly hate that phrase, and I am an admitted grumpy old man. When I thank a server for bringing me my beverage, for example, the response is usually "no problem." Like they're doing me a favour. Well, why should it be a problem?...It's kinda your job. "You're welcome" might be more appropriate.

And no, my meal wasn't "awesome." It might've been quite pleasant and enjoyable...right up to the point where you asked me how "awesome" it was.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:42 pm

Chris M wrote:Marketing 101. And yes, companies are training their people to do that.

It's smart business.

Hmmmm....people don't like it, it's alienating , it assume diners are mindless sheep, so I vote "no", it's not smart business.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:05 pm

Carla G wrote:
Chris M wrote:Marketing 101. And yes, companies are training their people to do that.

It's smart business.

Hmmmm....people don't like it, it's alienating , it assume diners are mindless sheep, so I vote "no", it's not smart business.

Hear, hear. There is nothing "smart" about it at all.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:24 am

Not exactly the same thing, but a few years ago at a new restaurant in town with a very confusing menu my server said "I think you should try..." or "I'd like you to get..." or "I think you'll love this" etc.
I finally told him that I really didn't care what he thought, I just wanted some clarification about the menu.
And I can be really grumpy if pushed. :evil:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:18 am

I'm sure a bunch of us that have worked in the business (or with the public in general) have seen an absolute parade of ninnies that are highly suggestable or, in some sad cases, merely dim. BUT to obviously assume the person in front of you is that is simply rude.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:58 am

I stopped by a kid's lemonade stand this weekend. A quarter a cup. I gave her a dollar. The five-year old asked, "Would you like your change?"

I think she has a future as a server in one of our local establishments.

(FYI, I let her keep the change. :D )
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:59 am

No wonder our local restaurants are having a hard time finding servers. Y'all are hard to please.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:01 pm

I think it may be a paradigm shift of a sort. For a while there diners just wanted a mass amount, cheap. Buffets and all-you-can-eats reigned. I think we're paying closer attention to what we're getting for our money. I also think we're willing to pay more to get better.

I saw an ad for Rally's that offered 4 items for $3. ( choice of 3 different sandwiches, apple pie, drink, fries.) honestly I'd be worried about what it was all made of. How can they make a profit, pay help, pay utilities?

Sorry. Kinda veered off topic. :oops:
no avatar
User

Jeremy Coker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:09 am

by Jeremy Coker » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:48 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:No wonder our local restaurants are having a hard time finding servers. Y'all are hard to please.

:D +1 I am amazed that this petty stuff really bothers you enough to post about.
Next