Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Two new 500 seat restaurants?

by Mark R. » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:25 pm

I did a short interview with Dean Corbett on the WLKY 6 o'clock news and he said that Louisville had 30 new restaurants open and 13 close for a net gain of 17 new restaurants. He then went on to say that two of them had over 500 seats. I don't recall any restaurants that large opening recently, does anyone else?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

Re: Two new 500 seat restaurants?

by Leah S » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:20 pm

Hop Cat has to be one of them.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:28 pm

The Levee + River House may be the other one. Levee seats 130 inside and 100 outside; River House seats 230 inside and 100 outside according to their websites.
We've been to River House and I didn't think it looked that big, but their website says 16,000 square feet.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:28 pm

Leah S wrote:The Levee + River House may be the other one. Levee seats 130 inside and 100 outside; River House seats 230 inside and 100 outside according to their websites.
We've been to River House and I didn't think it looked that big, but their website says 16,000 square feet.

It certainly didn't seem that large when we were there either. Not doubt in the numbers but it certainly seemed like River House would receive any more than about 200 or so inside and 60 or so outside. The levee also seem smaller than those numbers although we just took a quick look in there. I didn't think that HopCat actually would be considered a restaurant, at least in my opinion it's just a bar that happens to have some food.

no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:21 pm

2 500 seat restaurants? So THAT'S where all the line cooks went! :lol:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

charles.minter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:43 am

by charles.minter » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:44 pm

What about Doc's Cantina?
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:28 pm

I looked up Doc's but couldn't find what I read earlier. 200 seats, I think. 10,000 square feet, counting both floors, so smaller than River House. Yelp is not being kind.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:28 am

Red Barn Kitchen is one of the 500 seaters if you count the outside seating.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:07 pm

GaryF wrote:Red Barn Kitchen is one of the 500 seaters if you count the outside seating.

I didn't think about how large their outside area is you are certainly right about them having 500 seats if you count the outside area.

no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:03 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Leah S wrote:The Levee + River House may be the other one. Levee seats 130 inside and 100 outside; River House seats 230 inside and 100 outside according to their websites.

It certainly didn't seem that large when we were there either. Not doubt in the numbers but it certainly seemed like River House would receive any more than about 200 or so inside and 60 or so outside. The levee also seem smaller than those numbers although we just took a quick look in there. I didn't think that HopCat actually would be considered a restaurant, at least in my opinion it's just a bar that happens to have some food.

HopCat would be considered a restaurant. It's food is better (and more varied) than many of the restaurants up and down Bardstown, as much as it chagrins me to say that. I know people going back to it just for the food (specifically for the crack fries). Could just be a difference in terms -- not sure what you would consider a Buffalo Wild Wings, etc.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:17 pm

Adam Robinson wrote: Could just be a difference in terms -- not sure what you would consider a Buffalo Wild Wings, etc.

I would also consider them a bar that happens to serve food.

no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:24 am

Mark R. wrote:
Adam Robinson wrote: Could just be a difference in terms -- not sure what you would consider a Buffalo Wild Wings, etc.

I would also consider them a bar that happens to serve food.

That's a bit of a stretch for a chain that literally brands itself by its food.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:39 am

Remember, definitions in this realm are important from a business standpoint: If a restaurant wants to serve alcohol - and particularly if it wants to serve liquor - it has to show that a certain percent (50 percent?) of its sales come from food. If you can't make this quota, you lose your liquor license. So it's not just a matter of saying, "Look at us, we're a restaurant!" :mrgreen: You have to open your books to the nice man from ABC and show him that people are coming to your place for food.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:32 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Remember, definitions in this realm are important from a business standpoint: If a restaurant wants to serve alcohol - and particularly if it wants to serve liquor - it has to show that a certain percent (50 percent?) of its sales come from food. If you can't make this quota, you lose your liquor license. So it's not just a matter of saying, "Look at us, we're a restaurant!" :mrgreen: You have to open your books to the nice man from ABC and show him that people are coming to your place for food.

For what it's worth, on the state ABC website, HopCat is listed as "restaurant, microbrewery," in contrast to Flanagan's ("bar w/ food sales") and Holy Grale ("bar with package sales").
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:56 pm

Rich S wrote:For what it's worth, on the state ABC website, HopCat is listed as "restaurant, microbrewery," in contrast to Flanagan's ("bar w/ food sales") and Holy Grale ("bar with package sales").

I may be mistaken - in fact, I probably am - but I think the difference might be that HopCat is selling beer only, while the other have liquor licenses, which is a far stricter setup.
Next