Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Crestwood Grocery Outlet - Closing

no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Crestwood Grocery Outlet - Closing

by Steve P » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:53 pm

Crestwood Grocery Outlet is closing...The rancid landlord wouldn't repair a roof the leaks like a sieve and mold was getting terrible, so the operators had little choice. Several employees had been there for over 30 years.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Re: Crestwood Grocery Outlet - Closing

by SilvioM » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:24 pm

Just curious -- what kind of a grocery was this place? I'm not sure what a "grocery outlet" means or how it might differ from a Kroger or some mainstream place.
no avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:02 am

Is this the place that was John Mausers IGA for like years?
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:04 am

Did not know that was happening but yes I can attest to its recent neglect and general...ickyness. I guess the new Walmart (only a moment away) didn't help although I've never seen it even close to busy either.

Supposedly they offered all groceries at cost plus 10%.
Maybe Reardons will take it over and expand. I wish something like a Fresh Market would go in there. I hope it doesn't just sit empty.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:58 am

Its been a good while since I lived n Crestwood. Is this the old IGA building? And when last I was there, Reardon's was a roadside fruit and vegetable stand.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:01 pm

Leah S wrote:Its been a good while since I lived n Crestwood. Is this the old IGA building? And when last I was there, Reardon's was a roadside fruit and vegetable stand.

Yes and yes.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:07 pm

Paul's would be nice. But it would be about the same distance from me as the one is at Holiday Manor.
Would love to see a Paul's at the corner of Ballardsville/New Chamberlain/Brownsboro/22 intersection. Norton Commons would be nice but might not give them enough traffic? Dunkin Donuts did open this week. A little challenging to get into but it was fun to have a donut. I miss Earth Fare's baguettes, deli, crab cakes, a produce item or two. Ellen
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:26 pm

Carla G wrote:Did not know that was happening but yes I can attest to its recent neglect and general...ickyness. I guess the new Walmart (only a moment away) didn't help although I've never seen it even close to busy either.

Actually the new Walmart isn't having much of an effect (so far) on local businesses...This from conversations I've had with a couple of business owners (including the Grocery Outlet). MOF, the owner of the Ace Hardware told me last month that the manager of the Walmart told -him- that the Walmart store is doing less than 50% of the business they had projected...I've been in the Walmart a couple of times when I absolutely-positively HAD to have something FAST - and each of those times it's been positively DEAD...and I mean checkout people standing around dead.

Carla G wrote:Supposedly they offered all groceries at cost plus 10%.
Maybe Reardons will take it over and expand. I wish something like a Fresh Market would go in there. I hope it doesn't just sit empty.

As far as I'm concerned Reardon's could just go away (or at least MOVE !!!) and the town would be better off - That crossing they occupy should have been closed when the new multi-million dollar "by-pass" went in but it wasn't and now it continues to cause (what is for a small town) traffic jams of biblical proportions (which ironically is why they put the by-pass in in the first place).

I don't see anyone going into the Grocery Outlet building - I got one of those "hey check this out" tours of the stockroom, etc and it is a freaking white hot mess - mold, mildew, leaky roof, yada-yada-yada. The owner of the building is some slumlord from Indiana who hasn't put a dime into the place in years.

Stuff -was- ten percent over cost, now it's 10% UNDER cost until they get rid of everything. Personally, I'm gonna miss the place - it was always a convenient little "jot 'em down" store (as my granny used to call that kind of place). Their "no roll" meat was IMHO superior to the stuff coming out of Crestwood Meats, so yeah....it's a loss.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:48 pm

I agree about the traffic jams through that area. About 4:45-6:00 everyone that owns a car in Crestwood is on the road in Crestwood. And then the train comes through.
That butcher at the grocery was a pretty nice guy and real helpful so I hope he finds a new place.