Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Ms Miller CJ critic

User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Ms Miller CJ critic

by Steve Shade » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:47 pm

Business First is reporting that Ms Miller in leaving the CJ soon and going to work for Belle Noble Group (Le Moo, Village Anchor, Picnic). In charge of PR and employee training.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Ms Miller CJ critic

by Carla G » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:31 am

Wow, that's a pretty wide swipe to cover...employee training and PR. I'm betting she will be very happy after leaving Gannet.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:41 am

I'm sure she'll do well in this job. She knows food. My concern about her has always been that she's too connected with too many restaurants in a business way to be an unbiased critic, but this move makes sense. It'll be interesting to see whether the CJ reaches back to industry or looks for a reporter to fill the position.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:18 am

M;y bet is they just use freelancer(s).
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:15 am

TP Lowe wrote:M;y bet is they just use freelancer(s).

Actually, the restaurant critic has always been a free-lancer. Back in the Binghams' day, it was almost always a staff writer or editor, but the job itself was paid separately and not part of one's salaried duties. With Gannett they started using free-lancers who generally were not reporters, but it's never been a salaried staff position.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:16 am

Dana McMahan would be a great restaurant critic, by the way, and already writes regularly for the CJ. I have a feeling she doesn't want the job, but if I were editor, I'd try to hire her.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:23 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Dana McMahan would be a great restaurant critic, by the way, and already writes regularly for the CJ. I have a feeling she doesn't want the job, but if I were editor, I'd try to hire her.

I would throw my bones behind her. She's honest and knowledgeable. This assignment may just get in the way of her other projects, though.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:28 pm

I raised this suggestion in a Facebook discussion and nominated Dana, but she reminded me that she's already turned it down once and really isn't interested in critiquing restaurants. She's very good, though, and she and Brian are good people.