Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

What's up with local beer?

User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

What's up with local beer?

by Lonnie Turner » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:37 pm

Haven't seen this mentioned before. I've been to 11 of 12 places in Jefferson Co. that currently brew beer in-house, all that I am aware of at present. I've been to six in our immediate metro across the river in Clark / Floyd Cos. Estimates I found gave Jefferson approx. 764M population, Clark / Floyd combined at almost exactly a fourth of that at 192M. I've been to six places that brew beer in Clark / Floyd. So the Sunny Side has double the micros per capita that we have on this side of the river. What's up with that?

Here's the list I know about - in Jefferson is 3rd Turn, ATG, Apocalypse, BBC (counted for 2 for St. Matts & downtown locations, not sure if I should have), Cumberland, Goodwood, Gordon Biersch, Monnik, Old Louisville & Over The Nine. In Clark / Floyd is Donum Dei, Flat 12, Floyd Co. Brewing, NABC Bank Street Brewhouse & NABC (again, counted for two) & Red Yeti.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Re: What's up with local beer?

by SilvioM » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:40 pm

Add Great Flood to the Louisville list.

As to the overall question, I'd consider not just the number of places, but the sales/output. ATG, for example, has at least a dozen of their brews in many local stores adding to their overall sales. The same is true for BBC and Goodwood, along with Falls City, if that counts. I have seen Flat 12 recently, and some NABC, in local stores. Either way, I think the sales on this side stack up well.

It also occurs to me, looking at your list, that most (all?) of your Louisville list is inside the Watterson. Perhaps the micro/locals aren't as in demand outside of it, for whatever reason, which makes the population comparison a bit skewed? A possibility.
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:36 pm

Ah! Thanks, I have been to Great Flood a couple of times but didn't have it listed. As far as I know 3rd Turn in J-town is the only one outside the Watterson. I'm really surprised there aren't some out in NE Jefferson County yet. I didn't list BJ's because they claim to be a brewhouse based on making root beer on site. Their "beer" beers are brought in from out of state last I heard. G-B isn't a local firm but I think they do brew on Fourth Street. Likewise for non-local Flat 12 over in Jeff. Good point about store sales taking off for smaller scale locals. I didn't list Falls City as I was just thinking of places you could sit down and drink a pint of something made on site.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:42 pm

Brewery is being built in Lyndon area by a Brown-Forman female and her brewery husband. She has brewery experience as much or more than him.
We like our local/regional craft beer 'outside' the Watterson. Only thing we drink. Land costs an issue? We have plenty of bars/restaurants that serve local/regional craft beer. Commonwealth Tap just had a Goodwood tap takeover with Momma's BBQ food truck on Wed. All was very yummy.
Even the Prospect Kroger growler wall is really good and has a pint night. Liquor Barns have added pint nights.
I use to want to live in downtown Louisville or the Highlands. Lots of great neighborhoods to visit. Can only live in one. :-)

Holsopple is their name, the new brewery.

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/news/2016/07/22/two-beverage-industry-pros-are-opening-a-brewery.html

Ellen
no avatar
User

bob.durbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:20 am

by bob.durbin » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:45 pm

Over the 9 doesn't actually brew beer. We're the restaurant/bar that's connected to Falls City and The Old 502 Winery. While located in the same complex they are separate facilities. However, we do feature both brands at the bar.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:25 am

For Jefferson County, add Akasha on East Market Street, and Mile Wide, which should open sometime this year on Barret Avenue. I've also read that the new Hopcat plans to have a microbrewery. I agree with Silvio that if you consider the breweries' sales, Louisville does well compared with Clark/Floyd counties. Some of the Indiana micros are very small.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:20 pm

Ellen P wrote:I use to want to live in downtown Louisville or the Highlands. Lots of great neighborhoods to visit. Can only live in one. :-)

I wasn't dissing the outer Watterson scene, just noticing where the bulk of these places are located.

Clearly, one can get locals anywhere in town, including growlers, and almost everything that I buy from the grocery is Louis/Lex/Cincy/Southern Indy produced. It's a great time to be a locally-conscious, quality beer drinker.
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:15 pm

I'd imagine that a lot of those businesses are start-ups that aren't strong on cash, and can potentially save money by operating on the other side of the river.