Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Peruvian chicken

no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Peruvian chicken

by Richard S. » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:47 pm

I was having lunch at Yummy Pollo today and chatting with the owner, and he expressed some mild displeasure that someone had opened a copycat place in the Stonybrook area. I was out that way later this afternoon but didn't see anything that would fit the bill. I probably wouldn't go out of loyalty to YP unless they were open much later (YP closes at 6:30 during the week and 3 on Saturdays; closed Sundays). Does anyone have any idea where this place might be?
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

Re: Peruvian chicken

by Terri Beam » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:36 pm

It's called Carali's, and in the true Louisville tradition of giving locations by what was previously housed in the building, it's in the former Shah's Mongolian Grill spot in the Stony Brook shopping center (near HH Gregg and Buffalo Wild Wings)

According to this page: http://caralischicken.com/contact-us/4678583 they are open daily 11 am to 10 pm.

I've only been to YP once, and I really enjoyed it, but the location and their hours make it difficult for me to get over there on a regular basis. I've been wanting to try Carali's since it's closer to my home.

I'm not sure why YP's owner is unhappy about some competition. It's not like YP is the first Peruvian chicken joint in town (the long-gone Mr. Pollo gets that honor, I believe?). I think there is room in a city of this size for more than one restaurant of this kind. If anything competition tends to make people up their game (even though YP is totally on top of theirs right now).
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:44 pm

I don't think it was the competition as much as what he thought was direct copying. He said he serves some side dishes that weren't Peruvian but were more reflective of his native Bangladesh (herbal rice) and that the other place was serving the same sides. He did say their food was good, though. In the long run I doubt it will have much effect on his business because they are so far apart.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:55 pm

There are a lot of Peruvian chicken places in DC that are pretty similar to Yummy Pollo -- roast chicken, green sauce, white sauce, yucca, etc. I guess YP is the first one where I've seen mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli, but I didn't notice anything particularly distinctive about it that seemed copiable.
no avatar
User

garyguthrie

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:38 pm

by garyguthrie » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:54 pm

There's room for more than one of these just like there's room for more than one restaurant in any cuisine niche.
We just tried the place on Taylorsville @ H'bourne and it's far better than the one on Newburg. Chicken's juicier, the fries are humongous, etc.