Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Can't get waited on.

no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Can't get waited on.

by Ellen P » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:52 pm

Went to a restaurant Saturday night. Passed a bartendar/barback on the way to the bar. Another bartendar/barback was washing glassware. She didn't look up, acknowledge us, smile, or say hello. There was only one other couple at the bar. Two couples at bar tables. The other bartendar/barback returned with his arms full of bottles. He put them down on the bar, about 3 feet from us. Did not look at us, acknowledge us, smile, or say hello. He began putting a few bottles away, then stopped to wait on a server. That's when we left. The two hosts/hostesses thanked us for coming in. We told them we never got waited on and they were surprised....

Next restaurant, two bartendars. Got waited on. 3 couples at the bar besides us. Barely any interest in us. Would have ordered a second glass of wine but didn't want to give them anymore money plus tip. At the end, she did smile at us and give us eye contact finally, when she was handing Mike the receipt SO THAT HE COULD ENTER HER TIP.

A few nights earlier, we stopped in a new restaurant. Cold, impersonal service. After we had ordered a few things, asked a manager about the specials. He laughed that they should have told us. (Two of their specials involve Bud and Miller so that's really not special to most Louisvillians.) Owners were very interested in chatting with their friends. Never stopped to thank us.

Went to a restaurant on 30A. Same thing. Owners chatted with their friends. Never came by to thank us for coming in. We could walk to that place too but won't return.

Another experience, a month ago. We didn't get waited on. Couple next to us were asked for their drinks but didn't get food order. We didn't even get a drink order. When we got up to leave, they (employees) asked why we were leaving, we told them we would come back when they are less busy. Haven't returned.

Is it a Millennial vs. Baby Boomer thing? Would rather wait on their 'own'?

Reminder folks. If we can't get waited on, don't care how good the food is.

Ellen
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Can't get waited on.

by Steve P » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:05 pm

See - now this is a perfect example of place/s that (I believe) need to be outed. You're obviously not trolling 'em and there is no apparent axe to grind, rather these are legitimate issues that the operators need to address. There are innumerable places to spend our discretionary income in this city and personally I appreciate knowing of any potential issues -before- I belly up to the bar.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:21 pm

What Steve said.........
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:31 pm

This seems to be a frequent problem for you. I'm sorry you have such bad luck!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:05 pm

Ellen, I've been hearing a lot of reports that the growth in restaurants around town is stretching the server pool thin. I'll be interested to hear what others say.

One question, though:

Ellen P wrote:Went to a restaurant on 30A.

Maybe I don't get out much, but where's that?
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:51 pm

I agree with Robin re the server pool being stretched thin. It can run hit or miss sometimes. But I don't think it's just the restaurant industry that is suffering. I've been seeing some poor customer service in several industries lately. Usually it involves a younger employee. I don't know if it's poor training or the sometimes seen " I' m too cool/talented/smart/deserving (because it's ME) to being doing this job" attitude that youth sometimes come into the workforce with. They seem to want to start out at the top.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:04 pm

At some point this stops being a millennial problem and becomes an HR problem. You hire someone, you train them, and then you hold them to standards. If they fail to meet expectations, then you retrain, and try again. If they simply are unable to meet the expectation, then you have to let them go and give someone else the opportunity.

Millennials, if this is a "generational thing," can't be the only people out there looking for work.

But for the record the restaurant industry is suffering from a lack of quality applicants both front and back of house. I've been looking for a full time line cook for a year now, few leads and none that have worked out.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

by Tony G » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:13 pm

By the 30A reference I'm thinking this may be thier experiences in Fla, maybe on vacation?
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:06 pm

I just returned home from a trip to Kroger. The young man who was cashiering never looked my way or spoke to me. Instead he spent my whole check-out telling the bagboy about his great parking spot, and how he was sure that the people next to him were probably 'pissed off' because he parked right on the line. He laughed and then said they were probably mad at him for parking like a 'retard.'

Who talks like that in front of customers?!?!?
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:18 am

Alanna H wrote:I just returned home from a trip to Kroger. The young man who was cashiering never looked my way or spoke to me. Instead he spent my whole check-out telling the bagboy about his great parking spot, and how he was sure that the people next to him were probably 'pissed off' because he parked right on the line. He laughed and then said they were probably mad at him for parking like a 'retard.'

Who talks like that in front of customers?!?!?

Someone that makes minimum wage and doesn't care about their job.
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

by juan.molina » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:43 am

It is possible as Chick fill A has demonstrated. Lots of people wonder how they do such a good job with the attitudes and efficiency of their employees. They are certainly considered the best by chain standards. It seems they invest a lot into their training to accomplish such good service. But it does prove that providing good and efficient service is possible, even with lower paid employees.

http://www.fastcompany.com/resources/customer/chickfila.html

https://www.thesaleslion.com/8-reasons-why-chick-fil-a-has-the-best-business-model-in-america/
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:22 pm

Thanks for comments. (30A, Santa Rosa Beach, Florida)

Otherwise on 30A we have very nice service. Know our bartenders by name and they remember us.

Ellen
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:26 pm

I have a great pal who is a local restaurantuer. He and I have frequently discussed this issue (server attitude) over beers and we agree - the problem is that young folk getting in to the business do not see service as a potential career path. For them, it's just something to "fill time" until that *real* opportunity occurs. It doesn't seem to register with them that, though he - my pal - is now one fo the most successful restaurantuers in town, *he* started out doing years of table service and he still knows how to make each and every customer feel that a visit to his place is a treat. And the sad thing is that he is more than willing to pass this knowledge along to the next generation, but too often - they couldn't care less...
ah, well....
no avatar
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:51 am

juan.molina wrote:It is possible as Chick fill A has demonstrated. Lots of people wonder how they do such a good job with the attitudes and efficiency of their employees. They are certainly considered the best by chain standards. It seems they invest a lot into their training to accomplish such good service. But it does prove that providing good and efficient service is possible, even with lower paid employees.

http://www.fastcompany.com/resources/customer/chickfila.html

https://www.thesaleslion.com/8-reasons-why-chick-fil-a-has-the-best-business-model-in-america/

To be fair, Chick Fil A has to be the best at what they do seeing as how they have already alienated half of their potential customer base with their awful social stances. I can buy overpriced chicken anywhere. I'd rather deal with bad service than contribute to a company with an agenda I don't support.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:06 am

Gary Z wrote:To be fair, Chick Fil A has to be the best at what they do seeing as how they have already alienated half of their potential customer base with their awful social stances. I can buy overpriced chicken anywhere. I'd rather deal with bad service than contribute to a company with an agenda I don't support.

Not that I'm anxious to get into a big discussion about this but I agree with Gary.
+1
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
Next