Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Re: Can't get waited on.

by Richard S. » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:25 am

Willie Myers wrote:I have a great pal who is a local restaurantuer. He and I have frequently discussed this issue (server attitude) over beers and we agree - the problem is that young folk getting in to the business do not see service as a potential career path. For them, it's just something to "fill time" until that *real* opportunity occurs. It doesn't seem to register with them that, though he - my pal - is now one fo the most successful restaurantuers in town, *he* started out doing years of table service and he still knows how to make each and every customer feel that a visit to his place is a treat. And the sad thing is that he is more than willing to pass this knowledge along to the next generation, but too often - they couldn't care less...
ah, well....

On the other hand, though, whenever there's a discussion about raising the minimum wage, it's generally restaurant operators who are most opposed, saying the jobs they offer are entry level and don't warrant higher pay. I'm wondering if that doesn't contribute to the attitude that restaurant jobs are throwaway.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:37 am

Richard S. wrote:On the other hand, though, whenever there's a discussion about raising the minimum wage, it's generally restaurant operators who are most opposed, saying the jobs they offer are entry level and don't warrant higher pay. I'm wondering if that doesn't contribute to the attitude that restaurant jobs are throwaway.

Oh snap! Good point!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:37 am

Carla G wrote:Not that I'm anxious to get into a big discussion about this but I agree with Gary.
+1

I disagree. That said, fast food is a different service model. They do a good job there, but training a counter person is different than a server, which requires a more multifaceted skill set.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:51 am

I apologize for not being more specific in my "+1" comment. Actually I was trying to say that I would rather patronize a business with less than satisfactory service instead of supporting a business that I consider either racist or bigoted in their business management as Chick-Fil-A.
I agree that the skill levels needed for white linen service or fast food are very different.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:56 am

No, you were clear. I guess I was saying, despite being a staunch liberal, "-1". But, that's a different thread. :)
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:09 pm

Did have a nice experience last night. Commonwealth Tap.

Stopped in last night for a beer. ATG IPA. Such a nice visit. Our bartender greeted us; waited on us; handed us our check when we were ready to leave; then thanked us for coming in as we were leaving. Just as it should be. Good job.

I still think that a lot of managers shouldn't be managers. They either have degrees, are more ambitious, assertive, or all of the 'above'. I believe that restaurants are a perfect example of paying a few GOOD people more than paying less to a bunch of bodies.
They just hire bodies.

Ellen
Previous