Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Who has the best Hot Brown?

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:32 pm

In the “Nostalgia Dining” thread (link below), someone suggested a trip to the Brown Hotel’s Cafe for an “authentic” Hot Brown, and I expressed the cynical concern that the Brown, after years of corporate bean-counting, may no longer actually be the best place to get its own iconic treat.

So, what do you all say? Who makes the city's best Hot Brown (or variation) right now? If you think it IS the Brown, feel free to say that, too.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24239
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Who has the best Hot Brown?

by Mark R. » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:38 pm

I actually haven't found a good Hot Brown in town recently. Austins used to have a very good one but they closed over a year ago. I really don't like the one at Capt.'s Quarters. I'm going to be interested in seeing where others are found a good one.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:46 pm

It is definitely not at the top of the culinary ladder, but I can't help but ordering one at the Goose Creek Diner when I go every few months. Price point is fair, taste is good and service is always attentive.
no avatar
User

vanessa.johnston

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:45 pm

by vanessa.johnston » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:07 pm

Thanks for starting this thread! Hot Browns are on my must do list. I never made it to the Brown Hotel when I lived in Louisville. I Think it was actuallly Board of Education offices at some point back then. I would be happy to pay a little more for the experience of the birthplace if the sandwich is high quality. Also, does the Brown still do weekend brunches?
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:22 am

The one at The Village Anchor is what I 'Jones' for...now it's not the traditional one that you would consider as old school, but man it's fine....and paired with one of their wonderful Bloody Mary's, OY VEY!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:34 am

There is little I find to like at the Bristol, but their hot brown is respectable. Not the best, probably, but decent.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:54 pm

My experience is that I can make a better (Classic) Hot Brown at home. Most restaurants where I've tried this dish have tried to put their "spin" on this classic and almost every time it's a "fail".
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:43 pm

I've not had a good hot brown since I left Bistro 535 in Shelbyville 20 years ago. We used to make a mean one. The mornay was a little more country than haute cuisine, but it was savory and delicious.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

alejandro.magallanez

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:12 am

by alejandro.magallanez » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:52 pm

I make a pretty good one with fresh oven roasted turkey, white cheddar and Gruyere morney sauce, thick tomato slice and applewood smoked bacon over a ciabatta roll. I tend to save it for colder temps so not featuring it right now.
Alejandro Magallanez
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:16 am

Steve P wrote:My experience is that I can make a better (Classic) Hot Brown at home. Most restaurants where I've tried this dish have tried to put their "spin" on this classic and almost every time it's a "fail".

This is sad, but true. Most places use deli turkey which is an epic fail. The turkey needs to be cut from the bird (not processed and formed) which means it's a post-Thanksgiving dish at our house. My mom makes the best I've ever had using her recipe cut out from The Louisville Times published in like 1983. Also, since it's a cold weather dish for us, we never put tomato on it.

If people ask about a hot brown, I send them to the bar/lobby of The Brown. (I drive Uber and get fried chicken and hot brown questions A LOT.) I think it's a safe bet plus the lobby of The Brown is just awesome.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:22 am

It's still hard to beat the hot brown at J. Graham's. However, Gary's on Spring has a very tasty version on their appetizer list, billed as a baby hot brown, but it seems like a full grown adult to me. I can say that the worst I've had in town was at the Café. I sampled one there after the Deane boys hyped it on their show. All sauce, no turkey. Not good.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:49 pm

I really liked KT's version...

Alas...it has mooved on to different pastures...
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:53 pm

MarieP wrote:Alas...it has mooved on to different pastures...

:lol:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
MarieP wrote:Alas...it has mooved on to different pastures...

:lol:

Just got that. I'm a bit slow. :roll:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm

West of the Mississippi

by TimT » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:06 am

I just returned from a trip home to Louisville. I tasted my first Hot Brown at J Graham's and would say it is the best I have ever had. Since it is my first and only I guess that's a given, so let me add that it was outstanding and I wouldn't hesitate to order it again - and will.
"I dined at my favorite restaurant last night. It was like Heaven, only better. They let me in".
Next