Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

vanessa.johnston

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:45 pm

Nostalgia Dining: Visit to Louisville after 20+ years

by vanessa.johnston » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:57 pm

I lived in Louisville from 1969 - 1982 and have fond memories of local restaurants. I will be returning for my first vist in many years in October and would like to both revisit any remaining places from the era, and fully experience KY cuisine (Hot Browns, Burgoo, Country Ham, etc). I lived in the Dundee area and Hikes Point. I am asking for suggestions for both nostalgia dining and good old KY food within a couple of hours drive from east Louisville.

Alas, so many great restaurants are gone.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: Nostalgia Dining: Visit to Louisville after 20+ years

by JustinHammond » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:45 am

https://www.zomato.com/louisville/morri ... louisville

Morris Deli for an old school country ham sandwich
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

vanessa.johnston

{ RANK }

Just got here

by vanessa.johnston » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:35 am

Morris Deli is a great suggestion. I remember getting sandwiches there when it was, if I remember correctly, Karem Deebs. Definitely will amke my list. Thanks.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:56 am

So many of the old places have closed, sad to say. Kunz's, Hasenours, Kaelin's, Mazzoni's and many more. The Seelbach's Oakroom and the Brown's English Grille might take you back in terms of atmosphere, but they're pricey. Or Pat's Steakhouse?

It's summer time, so Mike Linnig's? :)
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:09 am

You'll be happy to know that Ditto's is still open. :wink:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:14 am

neal.johnson wrote:You'll be happy to know that Ditto's is still open. :wink:

She left in 1982, though. I'm not positive, but I don't think Ditto's was open then.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:39 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
neal.johnson wrote:You'll be happy to know that Ditto's is still open. :wink:

She left in 1982, though. I'm not positive, but I don't think Ditto's was open then.

It was a joke. A bad one.
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:27 pm

If Country Ham was high on my list I would consider Red Barn Kitchen. They have a Country Ham Sampler plate with 3 different hams and a couple of biscuits. It is A LOT of ham, and it was fun to compare the differences between the three varieties. Obviously, there will be no sentimental value here unless you also frequented Joe's Older Than Dirt and want to see what the space looks like these days.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:41 pm

neal.johnson wrote:It was a joke. A bad one.

D'oh! :oops:
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:08 pm

You can still get an authentic hot brown at the cafe in the Brown Hotel without doing the fine dining upstairs.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:28 pm

Robin F. wrote:You can still get an authentic hot brown at the cafe in the Brown Hotel without doing the fine dining upstairs.

I'm kind of afraid that anyone who hasn't been to the Brown Hotel since the '80s might be pretty disappointed in how well it lives up to the memory. :( It might be fun to start a thread asking who makes the city's best Hot Brown (or variation) nowadays. In fact, I think I'll do that! :D
no avatar
User

vanessa.johnston

{ RANK }

Just got here

by vanessa.johnston » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:02 pm

Red barn Kitchen looks great! That's exactly the type of good ol' KY food I'm after.
A little more info about me: I'm not actually Vanessa, I'm using my wife's facebook account to login. My name is Richard, and I am an ex-pat living in Thailand. I'm returning to Louisville for the Seneca High School Class of 1976 reunion. (Nancy Shepherd was one of my English teachers). So this visit isn't just about KY food, but a chance to indulge in all sorts of delicacies that are unavailable to me in Thailand. Country ham is high on the list. Classic American drive-in food is also a must for me. I will definitely hit Frisch's. I haven't had a BigBoy in probably thirty years! Ollie's Trolley deserves a visit and I've never been to DizzyWhiz. I'm thinking about Claudia Sanders, maybe the Talbott Tavern, and a roadtrip to one of the remaining Dairy Cheer restaurants for a real Smashburger!

I would make an unholy deal with the devil for a meal at the old Hickory House.

Also, although my Thai motherinlaw makes good froglegs here in Thailand, I wonder where the best froglegs can be found in KY? And finally, wandering from the KY food theme a little, are there any good places for raw oysters around Louisville? (That makes me remember New Orleans House's seafood extravaganza - good times!)

Okay, I'm drooling like Homer over a doughnut now. All suggestions, reviews, and advice will be greatly appreciated!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:44 am

Don't know how much time you have for your visit but - and I hate to be a downer- I wouldn't waste my time at Claudia Sanders. What was once great home cooking seems to now be a temple to pre-prepared and frozen ...everything. Our last two visits were terrible. You'll just get depressed.

Mike Linnings is about the same as ever and, even though I still live here, I get that same warm fuzzy rush of nostalgia every time I visit them.

The Frisches Big Boy is a different tasting animal now.

The Kingfish on River Road has frog legs and they still hand bread their fish using the same breaking they've always used.

Rumors on Shelbyville Rd going out towards Middletown has good raw oysters at a very reasonable price. Were they around when you were here? Can't remember when they started up.

You might enjoy a trip to Science Hill in Shelbyville.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:17 am

vanessa.johnston wrote:
And finally, wandering from the KY food theme a little, are there any good places for raw oysters around Louisville?

http://doccrows.com/ - bbq and raw oysters

http://www.jeffruby.com/louisville/menus - best steak in Louisville and a raw bar

http://riverhouselouisville.com/ - great view on the river with a raw bar

http://bistro1860.com/ - one of my favorite restaurants in the city, serves raw oysters

http://ryeonmarket.com/ - $1.50 oysters from 5-7 everyday
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:49 pm

I'm not a frog leg eater, but my family has always loved the ones at Pat's Steakhouse.
Next