Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Dine and Dash

Does your restaurant hold servers responsible for the dreaded dine and dash?

Yes
9%
No
41%
I don't work at a restaurant
50%

Total votes : 32
no avatar
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

Dine and Dash

by Clay Cundiff » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:37 am

Does anybody know if it's legal for a restaurant in Kentucky to hold a server financially responsible for a table that leaves without paying their check? The question came up on another online forum I frequent, and I was always under the impression that it was not, despite the fact that it seems to be a fairly common practice in some places. I know that the restaurants I used to work at always took the hit instead of the server. If the server is held responsible, what exactly are they supposed to do to collect the bill? Run down the former guests mid-exit and physically restrain them until they pay up? It seems like that would expose the restaurant to a lot of liability.
no avatar
User

Gena W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:17 pm

If I had to guess...

by Gena W. » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:25 am

More than likely, it's the restaurants responsibility. Thankfully it doesn't happen often but when it does, we take the hit, not the server.
no avatar
User

Stacy Roof

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:03 pm

Louisville, KY

Responsibility

by Stacy Roof » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:27 pm

It is the responsibility of the establishment, not the server. The establishment cannot withhold pay or tips. If the establishment feels an employee maliciously intended to hurt its business, the establishment has the option of taking it to court.
Stacy Roof
no avatar
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:08 pm

Thanks guys. I just found out the establishment in question also has a policy of mandatory tip outs to bartenders, bussers and cooks. Sounds like they are totally unaware of the laws regarding wage and compensation.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:50 pm

If this happens to a server, I would be happy to speak to him/her about legal recourse against the employer. That is a crappy thing to do to an employee.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: Dine and Dash

by Doogy R » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:41 pm

Clay Cundiff wrote:Does anybody know if it's legal for a restaurant in Kentucky to hold a server financially responsible for a table that leaves without paying their check? The question came up on another online forum I frequent, and I was always under the impression that it was not, despite the fact that it seems to be a fairly common practice in some places. I know that the restaurants I used to work at always took the hit instead of the server. If the server is held responsible, what exactly are they supposed to do to collect the bill? Run down the former guests mid-exit and physically restrain them until they pay up? It seems like that would expose the restaurant to a lot of liability.

The monetary loss is to the business, not the server. If the business wants to hold the server responsible for their loss, they are wrong.

By the way, you stated "despite the fact that it seems to be a fairly common practice in some places."

Where does this actually occur?
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Gary Michael

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:55 pm

Dine and dash

by Gary Michael » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:52 pm

Had a party of three young folks pull that on me at El Torito in Plainview in the early eighties (restaurant would have held me responsible for the loss). I followed them into the parking lot and asked as tactfully as I could if they forgot to pay their tab. They looked me and denied it at first. I looked at their license plate and wrote down the number. They "suddenly"
remembered that they had not paid their bill and asked me how much they owed. I looked at their $20.00 check and told them they owed me $35.00. They balked at first, but then considered the consequences of arguing with me and gave me the $35.00!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Dine and dash

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:24 am

Gary Michael wrote:El Torito in Plainview

Whoa, a blast from the past! And, I'm afraid, one of my first really negative reviews. As I recall, I compared it to dining at the Tijuana Jail, and concluded that the fare at the Tijuana Jail was <i>slightly</i> worse ... ;)
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

Re: Dine and Dash

by MikeG » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:53 am

Doogy R wrote:
Where does this actually occur?

I'm not going to name the restaurant but I did this at an establishment once. It was due to absolutely inattentive service and then a lackluster at best meal. Our server was seen twice, once to get out drinks then when the drinks came 15 minutes later she took our order. 30 minutes later our meal came from a different server who pretty much did a drive by drop off of the food. We couldnt get a refill to save our lives. We waited about 20 minutes after finishing our meal and when we couldnt catch the attention of a server, we all agreed to just leave and did so.

This was an extreme case and something that came about as a last resort of frustration with the experience. This wasnt a premeditated move like a lot of Dine and Dash stories I heard from kids in my High School.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:24 pm

I can't help but notice that no one has actually answered the poll on this thread. I think that's very interesting.

I've known many people that have worked at Joe Bologna's in Lexington and therefore know for a fact that they make their servers pay for dashers. And no, they don't give them a discount. The server has to pay full menu price for the entire ticket. BS.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:50 pm

Beth K. wrote:I can't help but notice that no one has actually answered the poll on this thread. I think that's very interesting.

Actually, there are votes, but there's a Catch 22 about this poll: In order to see the results, you have to vote, but since the poll doesn't have a "not applicable", you can't vote unless you work for a restaurant.

I'll see if I can edit the poll to add a line, so those who want to view the results can do so. :)
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

by Mike Hardin » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:15 pm

Beth K. wrote:I've known many people that have worked at Joe Bologna's in Lexington

When I went to UK, I think that place got shut down for while due to rats and rat feces and other horrible food safety issues (I was there in 1987-1988 so if I'm thinking of a different place, please feel free to correct me) - not a place I'd work OR eat.
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:29 pm

Thanks Robin - I can see them now! I thought that was strange.

In response to above: I've never understood the hype about Joe's. I don't think it's any better than fazolis. (Yes, I've eaten at Fazolis before.) I don't know about the violations in the 80's but I can tell you that the restaurant is stuck in the 80's in about every way imaginable. Nonetheless, they have a huge base of regulars that love it and swear it is the best italian and pizza in Lexington. I whole-heartedly disagree.
no avatar
User

Bill R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:02 am

Middletown

by Bill R » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:19 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Actually, there are votes, but there's a Catch 22 about this poll: In order to see the results, you have to vote, but since the poll doesn't have a "not applicable", you can't vote unless you work for a restaurant.

Really mine has always had the "view results" link at the bottom of the poll. I did not use it, so dont know if it worked but it was there from the start.

Robin, maybe you might want to add a weeky poll about light topic (to avoid conflicts).
no avatar
User

Patrick Kelting

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:39 pm

The Burbs

poll

by Patrick Kelting » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:32 pm

The restaurant I work in does make the servers pay for walk-outs.
Next