Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: What's the most cursed restaurant site?

by TP Lowe » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:59 am

Kris Billiter wrote:Willie you are thinking of Garret's. After that it was a STAXX BBQ. It is now a florist shop
This is the first location that came to mind when I saw this thread. Impossible traffic for this place.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:06 am

RonnieD wrote:(former) Red Pepper Chinese on Brownsboro. It's been empty now, what? 10 years? No one even seems to want to try that one. As I recall it has major LL issues.

Closed in 2009, IIRC. And it was Bourbon Barrel BBQ, a Mexican place, Maharaja Indian, and Shariat's before that, so yeah, I'd say it fits.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:10 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Closed in 2009, IIRC. And it was Bourbon Barrel BBQ, a Mexican place, Maharaja Indian, and Shariat's before that, so yeah, I'd say it fits.

There's abundant testimony that the "unreasonable landlord" model is in play there. I've heard the same from reasonably trustworthy sources about the place on Frankfort near Clifton (now Time 4 Thai) and the storefront at Second and Oak.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:11 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Closed in 2009, IIRC. And it was Bourbon Barrel BBQ, a Mexican place, Maharaja Indian, and Shariat's before that, so yeah, I'd say it fits.

There's abundant testimony that the "unreasonable landlord" model is in play there. I've heard the same from reasonably trustworthy sources about the place on Frankfort near Clifton (now Time 4 Thai) and the storefront at Second and Oak.

The landlord who owns the Time 4 Thai property also owns the brass shop across the street. An unpleasant fellow. :wink:
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:58 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

What about the LowBrow spot that's now Big C's Lunch & Lounge? Recently housed both Mediterranean and Mexican concepts. Another bad landlord or just cursed?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:What about the LowBrow spot that's now Big C's Lunch & Lounge? Recently housed both Mediterranean and Mexican concepts. Another bad landlord or just cursed?

The ones I mentioned are the only ones where I've been told about lease issues by reliable first- or second degree of connection sources. ;) I wonder if location is possibly an issue for the Big C's space. LowBrow isn't Frankfort Avenue, and except for Pat's, I can think of an awful lot of broken dreams all along that stretch. :(
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:34 pm

The place on Baxter that was America, The Diner has seen a ton of turnover. Before that a sushi joint, before that something else and the list goes on.....It's going to be a Mexican joint now and I presume they will be simply printing money with that location.

Cursed, as in bad things happening to good restaurants? What about the Bauer's location? They had a fire. La Paloma took over and even Suan Seiller couldn't make it a go at that location. Then, Azalea came along and did great for a long time then closed very suddenly. When they went kaput that place sat and rotted for a good 6 years before Mesh came along. Strangely enough, haven't heard a lot of buzz about Mesh lately.

But nothing beats the tiny location on Frankfort down the street from El Mundo. Too many to count in the last 10 years.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:10 pm

Alexis Rich wrote:But nothing beats the tiny location on Frankfort down the street from El Mundo. Too many to count in the last 10 years.

The place across the street from Comfy Cow, just east of Clifton? It's definitely a contendah.
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:32 am

I have to add the small strip mall at the juncture of the Snyder and Taylorsville Road.

I've lost count of how many businesses have been in the end section of that. Right now, it's a burger/bar/live music place called Rothenburgers. Before that, I remember another Italian place (owned by the same people apparently and which moved to Shelbyville) and before that Bearno's, and before that, I don't remember.

I think it's an odd location. It's kind of difficult to get people's attention when the back of the building is facing the highway, unless word of mouth is very positive.
no avatar
User

kyle.whitaker

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:43 am

by kyle.whitaker » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:48 am

TP Lowe wrote:
Kris Billiter wrote:Willie you are thinking of Garret's. After that it was a STAXX BBQ. It is now a florist shop
This is the first location that came to mind when I saw this thread. Impossible traffic for this place.

That location is by far the worst IMO. Bermuda Triangle for restaurants.

You wouldn't think it because being on B-town rd seems like a prime spot, but the current site of Fontleroy's seems to be a rough spot. Parking is a bear. I hate it because I love Fontleroy's. Was there last night.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:38 pm

kyle.whitaker wrote:
TP Lowe wrote:
This is The first location that came to mind when I saw this thread. Impossible traffic for this place.

That location is by far the worst IMO. Bermuda Triangle for restaurants.

You wouldn't think it because being on B-town rd seems like a prime spot, but the current site of Fontleroy's seems to be a rough spot. Parking is a bear. I hate it because I love Fontleroy's. Was there last night.

The location being discussed is Shelbyville Road, just east of Hurstbourne Parkway. Not one on Bardstown Road.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:30 pm

Mark R. wrote:
kyle.whitaker wrote:... You wouldn't think it because being on B-town rd seems like a prime spot, but the current site of Fontleroy's seems to be a rough spot. Parking is a bear. I hate it because I love Fontleroy's. Was there last night.

The location being discussed is Shelbyville Road, just east of Hurstbourne Parkway. Not one on Bardstown Road.

That's why Kyle added it in a separate paragraph related to the discussion topic. :mrgreen:
Previous