Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Spartan setting doesn’t diminish Bawerchi’s excellent Indian

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:18 am

Spartan setting doesn’t diminish Bawerchi’s excellent Indian fare

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

The halal goat khorma at Bawerchi is as good as we ever ate.

First there was karma. Then there was khorma. And now I have a new favorite Indian restaurant.

Here’s the karma: I recently accepted an invitation to enjoy an Iftar dinner, ending a day’s Ramadan fast, at the Westport Road mosque with a bunch of Muslim friends. I didn’t have my restaurant critic’s hat on, but as fate or karma would have it, I met a friendly Indian guy. While we were comparing notes on some delicious spicy potato somosa turnovers, he told me about his favorite new Indian place, Bawerchi, “The Taste of India.”

Bawerchi quietly moved into a Highlands storefront earlier this year; it is the former home of Aladdin’s Cafe. “It’s really good Indian food - the best,” he told me. “Most of the Indians go there now.”

This was important news. I’m always on the lookout for a new Indian place, with lots of extra credit if it’s “really good Indian food - the best.” (All the meats are zabiha halal, too, processed in strict observance of Islamic dietary rules.)

Which brings us to the khorma. What’s a khorma, you may ask? It’s a delicious Indian dish that consists of meat tidbits or veggies stewed in a seductively creamy sauce that’s usually made with yogurt. The fickle finger of fate pointed us toward Bawerchi’s goat khorma ($10.99), and it proved one of the most memorable Indian dishes I’ve enjoyed in Louisville or elsewhere.

But I’m getting ahead of myself. First let me introduce you to Bawerchi, whose owner and chef, Mohammed Sajid, was busy getting ready for an Iftar dinner that would pack the place a little later with hungry Muslims breaking their Ramadan fast after Louisville’s late summer sunset. He wasn’t too busy to offer us friendly hospitality and very good food, though. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?p=5642

See this column also in LEO Weekly:
http://www.leoweekly.com/2016/07/bawerc ... n-cooking/

Bawerchi Restaurant
1613 Bardstown Road
409-8484
http://bawerchirestaurant.com
Robin Garr's rating: 88 points
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

Re: Spartan setting doesn’t diminish Bawerchi’s excellent In

by Iggy C » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:55 pm

Sounds interesting. Don't recall having seen haleem on any local Indian menus before. Will have to check it out.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Spartan setting doesn’t diminish Bawerchi’s excellent In

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:29 pm

Iggy C wrote:Sounds interesting. Don't recall having seen haleem on any local Indian menus before. Will have to check it out.

It's good, Iggy. The haleem was on the Ramzan (Ramadan) menu, though, so I'm not sure they still have it. It might be good to chat up Mr. Sajid and let him know there's interest in more unusual dishes.