Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Rating the BBQ Food Trucks

User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

Rating the BBQ Food Trucks

by Charles W. » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:46 pm

I love food trucks. I recently spent 10 days in Portland and was excited to find a block with 40 food trucks--Thai, Scottish, Iranian, Japanese, almost anything you could imagine.

We have our own set of excellent food trucks in Louisville. I'm especially partial to the BBQ trucks in that they are usually quick in addition to being good.

I have a simple way to judge a good BBQ truck: try the pulled pork with no sauce. This is the immediate way to tell if they really know how to smoke their meat. I then try their brisket (if they have it) and see if it has enough fat on it to make it good. With that in mind, here are some rankings:

The Best--I'll eat anything on their menus
Celtic Pig
Moelicious
502 Cafe

The Good
Boss Hog--put a mix of hot and mild sauce on the pork and you're good to go. Rib Tips are good but messy.

The Not so Good
Boo-Boos--mixes mediocre sauce in with the pork. hmmm.

Anyone else have thoughts?
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: Rating the BBQ Food Trucks

by Ron H » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:30 pm

I had the Boss Hogg taco truck edition the other day. Mediocre at best. Store-bought tortilla (only one, which means the taco fell apart immediately) and relatively unseasoned meat with only a little smoke. Might have been store-bought salsa, too.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:08 pm

I certainly agree about your opinion of Moelicious, he makes really good Q. Haven't tried Celtic Pig but it sounds like I need to. I don't consider 502 Café that good but everybody has their own opinion of certain things. And I do agree with you about Boss Hog.

Testing their meat, be it pulled pork or brisket or even chicken, I certainly agree the only way to test it is without sauce, some of these places really brag about how good their sauces are but sauces should only be used as a condiment, not the main feature! I'd rather eat some good barbecue without any sauce rather than some decent Q with a great sauce. I also don't like any place that mixes the meat in with the sauce before serving it like so many places do.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:27 am

Out here in the boonies we only get one bbq truck but it's a very good one. Chops BBQ, not a truck per se , but a big Winnebago. His ribs are wetter than most but the pulled pork isn't and it's very good. His blue cheese slaw (made by his wife) is wonderful.
He parks at the Park & Tarc at exit 14 off I-71 Wednesdays-Fridays.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:32 pm

Carla G wrote:Out here in the boonies we only get one bbq truck but it's a very good one. Chops BBQ, not a truck per se , but a big Winnebago. His ribs are wetter than most but the pulled pork isn't and it's very good. His blue cheese slaw (made by his wife) is wonderful.

Thomas Korfhage owns that. He and I worked together a million years ago. I haven't been out there but I can attest that he can rock a grill. He has a Facebook page under CHOPS STYLE BBQ LLC with some great pics.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:55 pm

Gary Z wrote:
Carla G wrote:Out here in the boonies we only get one bbq truck but it's a very good one. Chops BBQ, not a truck per se , but a big Winnebago. His ribs are wetter than most but the pulled pork isn't and it's very good. His blue cheese slaw (made by his wife) is wonderful.

Thomas Korfhage owns that. He and I worked together a million years ago. I haven't been out there but I can attest that he can rock a grill. He has a Facebook page under CHOPS STYLE BBQ LLC with some great pics.

Super nice guy.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson