Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Kudos to Paul's Fruit Market

no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Kudos to Paul's Fruit Market

by Deb Hall » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:05 pm

I needed some brocolli rabe for a recipe, and called my closest Paul's (Brownsboro Road) to see if by some chance they had it before making what I assumed would be a trip to Whole Foods or Creation Gardens. The first employee didn't know what I what brocolli rabe was and automatically gave me to a manager (I believe George). "George" said he didn't think they had any but he would check. After confirming that they had non, he said something that floored me: "but I can order some for you and get it in tomorrow". I had no idea they could/would do that! No minimum, didn't even take my name, just told me to call back the next day to see if they been able to get it.

I was in the area (at Shiraz) at lunch, so I stopped over to see what became of the request, and sure enough they'd gotten a case in. For just one customer who only needed one bunch! Very nice stuff and decently priced. What great customer service!!!!!! I will definitely be checking with them again the next time I need something a little different....
Deb
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:12 pm

Hah! I just ate at Shiraz too! For the 1st time I'm embarrassed to say, but I reveled in the delight of my eggplant. As well as (pretty sure you posted recently 'bout it, know I read about it on this forum and I think it was you) Fahtid (???) - the free rice crust they dole out when it's available. Awesome.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:49 am

Jackie, I think fahtid is what happens when you eat too many Boston baked beans. :D
That crust is tasty though.
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:58 am

Help me, Gary. Ms. Madi couldn't recall the name of it and I am a flake at times. Cute remark, though. Stinka.
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:08 am

Nevermind, I just did a search and found the recent post by Doogie declaring it: tadigh. Would ya consider me close to accuracy? Teh hee...
no avatar
User

Michele Melillo-Clem

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:26 am

East Market Street

by Michele Melillo-Clem » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:56 am

For those of you who love broccoli rabe as I do, we serve it every day for dinner at Melillo's Italian Restaurant. Add it to your pasta, toss it with Italian sausage or do my favorite, and make a broccoli rabe sandwich. Mmmmmm
It's the hand of the cook that expresses the heart.

Michele Melillo-Clem
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:31 pm

Michele,

Do you boil it briefly first (to remove some of the bitterness)? Several of the recipes I consulted suggested this, but some were just straight sautes.

Thanks,
Deb
no avatar
User

Michele Melillo-Clem

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:26 am

East Market Street

by Michele Melillo-Clem » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:55 pm

Yes, Deb, I do boil it in heavily salted water for about 7 minutes. After I take it out of the water I let it drain in a colander for about an hour to make sure all of the water is out of it. I then saute it with olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes. Make sure you cut and toss the bottom inch or two of the bunch, as that is where it is most bitter. Before I boil it, i run a sharp knife through the thick stems to make them more tender when I saute them. Trust me, chop some of this up and put it between to crusty pieces of Italian bread. Best sandwich ever! Enjoy
It's the hand of the cook that expresses the heart.

Michele Melillo-Clem
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:29 am

Michele,

Thanks for the tips. Your description is very very close to the recipe I had. Good to get confirmation that it boils for that long; my recipe said "boil 6 minutes until crisp-tender". I thought there was no way it's going to be crisp-tender after that much boiling, so I reduced the boil time by half. It was still very good, but know I'll have to try it your way to compare.

Thanks again,
Deb
no avatar
User

SusanLukjan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 09, 2007 12:45 pm

291 N. Hubbards Ln (next to Kroger)

by SusanLukjan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:57 pm

That is the beauty of shopping with local vendors. Most of us will try our best to fill a customer's needs. That is the only way to stay in business against the chain stores. KEEP LOUISVILLE WEIRD

http://www.gourmetcottage.com
See Our Latest Cooking Class Schedule!!