Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Go, go to Migo for creative, delicious tacos and more

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:41 am

Go, go to Migo for creative, delicious tacos and more

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Mofongo, the classic Puerto Rican plantain-and-pork dish, at Migo.

Why, why, why did nobody tell me that I needed to go to Migo until now?

Look: This place, a partner in the triumvirate of Hammerheads, Game and now Migo, has been open since mid-October. In other words, I’ve been missing out on some of the best, most creative and delicious tacos and more in town for eight months!

I’m not just ranting about any old taqueria, either. Consider this: When our friend, Peggy, mentioned that her daughter, Patricia, was at 610 Magnolia, we suddenly realized with delight that we were eating just as well.

Yes, Migo is that good.

Maybe its small rooms aren’t long on atmosphere, but they are comfortable, and decked out with striking outsider-art murals. Service is neither diner casual nor high-end smarmy, but friendly and prompt.

But the food? Ach, mein gott, the food! I was blown away by both its imaginativeness, and the skill in its execution.

The chef dropped by for a brief table-side visit. I didn’t catch his name, perhaps because I didn’t throw mine, but he impressed us with his sheer passion when we asked how he could make beef tongue taste so good, and he gave us all the details, hoping we’d try it ourselves at home. His cooking reflects his passion, and that’s why I would seriously rank Migo’s food with top-ranked eateries like 610 and Seviche.

Migo’s menu spreads across the Latino world and beyond, and it is so modest in price that there’s only one item over $9, and that — succulent mussels in an incredible ginger-citrus-lobster broth — only gently cracks double digits at $11.

You can have your tacos Mexican style, sure, or choose Baja, Korean, Hawaiian or with BBQ fixin’s. Ponder Mexican chilaquiles ($9), Puerto Rican mofongo ($9), Cuban yuca tots ($7) and Jamaican jerk plantain tacos ($5), not to mention Buffalo-style cauliflower in a taco ($5).

Chorizo tacos ($6), and chorizo meatballs ($9), are made with Wagyu beef; Tacos (all $5 to $7) come with choices of seven kinds of meat, six species of seafood or fish, or you can choose from seven amazing vegetarian tacos. A dozen small plates, carnivorous and meat-free, are $7 to $11. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?p=5632

See this column also in LEO Weekly:
http://www.leoweekly.com/2016/07/go-go- ... ous-tacos/

Migo
2222 Dundee Road, 452-9385
http://louisvillemigo.com
Facebook: http://bit.ly/Migo502
Robin Garr's rating: 93 points
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

Re: Go, go to Migo for creative, delicious tacos and more

by juan.molina » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:15 pm

I see you mention most items are under $10 and they are but everything seems to be a la carte. So three six dollar tacos ($18) and an order of rice ($5) would set you back $23. Seems high but if the taste is that amazing maybe it's worth it.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:24 pm

If you go out for a nice dinner on Bardstown Road, you'll be hard pressed to find a good one - much less an outstanding one - for $23. I guess you could go to Taco Bell, though, if that would make you happy.
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

by juan.molina » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:09 pm

Robin Garr wrote:If you go out for a nice dinner on Bardstown Road, you'll be hard pressed to find a good one - much less an outstanding one - for $23. I guess you could go to Taco Bell, though, if that would make you happy.

Real Mexicans don't eat that trash.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:14 pm

I'll second the review. The food is really good and there is a wide variety of styles to sample from their menu. I've been a few times and have never been disappointed.
User

Josh A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Paristown Point/Germantown

by Josh A » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:22 pm

haven't had the tacos there, but the mussel special they had on derby day was fantastic, i don't think it ran more than $13-14. Had a very similar experience, with the chef coming out to talk to folk (those of us sitting at the bar anyway) to tell them about the dishes they had going that night and answer any questions.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:31 pm

juan.molina wrote:Real Mexicans don't eat that trash.

Nah, you're right. Real Mexicans speak Spanish, too ...
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

by juan.molina » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:38 pm

I speak Spanish and English
no avatar
User

Eric Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:23 pm

by Eric Hall » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:28 am

I was thoroughly impressed by MIGO. I took some of my employees for a reward for helping out with a charity dinner. We tried nearly every style of taco but were most impressed with the vegetarian options. Creative and delicious.

Price point is mentioned with every new restaurant opening in a hot area of the city. When comparing to simple street fair tacos, these are in a different category and the price points are very fair. Expect to spend at least $50 per person if you have a drink or two and want a full meal.

In a saturated dining scene, this place is a worthy addition.
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:25 pm

My opinion but..

I firmly believe that Adam and Chase (Migo, Hammerheads, Game chef/owners) are responsible for the modern day OMG Louisville restaurant turnaround (owners of Guaca Mole, MMB, Taco Luchador, etc as well). Yes, we had a lot of good stuff before them but Hammerheads was a game changer and they have hit nothing but home runs since. I know them both and they are very passionate and super talented. Happy for their success.
User

Eve Lee

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Highlands

by Eve Lee » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:15 am

I've been there three times now and have tried new things every time, just to discover. Saturday night I had a mojito, two tacos (buffalo cauliflower, BBQ tempeh) and split an order of yuca tots and was stuffed to the gills. (Juan, you must have hollow legs if you can handle three tacos and a side!) I can't speak to its authenticity, but it's always amazing at Migo—creative dishes, helpful staff and beautiful presentations of delicious food.
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

by Mike Hardin » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:26 pm

Eve Lee wrote:I've been there three times now and have tried new things every time, just to discover. Saturday night I had a mojito, two tacos (buffalo cauliflower, BBQ tempeh) and split an order of yuca tots and was stuffed to the gills. (Juan, you must have hollow legs if you can handle three tacos and a side!) I can't speak to its authenticity, but it's always amazing at Migo—creative dishes, helpful staff and beautiful presentations of delicious food.

Yucca tots??!!! Now I HAVE to get over there!
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:43 pm

We live in walking distance and had good experiences and very good food the twice we've been. I'm not expecting tacqueria prices, but the price point for the serving size on their side dishes is high to us; not a good food value. Your raves, however, are encouraging us to give it another try- especially now that they have a few tables outside. :D
Deb
no avatar
User

SteveDuvall

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:47 pm

by SteveDuvall » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:06 pm

I have been to Migo's three times now. The first time, I had a duck taco, and a fish taco, and some yucca tots. The duck taco was good, the fish taco was nearly inedible. It tasted past its prime. The tots were fine. The margaritas on this visit were not very good. We went back last week, and had a couple of appetizers and drinks at the bar. We had the mofongo, which was good, but extremely salty. We also had the short rib chilaquiles, also good, also salty. We had the guacamole, which was good too. The margaritas have improved, and are larger and I think less expensive than before. I went tonight solo, and had the beef tongue taco, and the roast lamb taco. They forgot my refried lentils, but took them off the bill without me having to ask. The beef tongue was pretty good, and the lamb was excellent. Both were still on the very salty side of the scale. They had Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA, so I had one of those, and another margarita. Each time they have tried to sell me additional things in a not so subtle way.