Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Marsha's Industry Standard: Have it your way?

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:59 am

Have it your way?

By Marsha Lynch

Folks who grew up in the 1970s will likely remember the Burger King ad-campaign jingle that went “Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce — special orders don’t upset us! All we ask is that you let us serve it your way. Have it your way, have it your way …”

In large part, this is still the mantra of almost any restaurant. Even those restaurants that post “no substitutions” will still usually allow you to ask for ingredients to be left off your dish, if it’s possible. Of course, even subtracting things from a dish can be nearly impossible, from time to time. A cook once asked me to pluck the raisins out of a bread pudding to be served to his father, because his dad “hates raisins, but loves bread pudding.” Thank God, bourbon caramel covers up a multitude of sins.

In fine dining, we strive daily to accommodate diners who have allergies, or sensitivities, to certain ingredients. The winning move here is to call the restaurant in advance, ask questions and make a special request if needed. It’s not unusual for a manager, or server captain who’s received a phone call from a potential reservation, to ask the chef or sous chef to accommodate a “gluten-free vegetarian with lactose intolerance,” or a “pescetarian, no butter” — not usually a problem so long as we know ahead of time.

It’s the folks who descend upon us in a group, and, with a flurry of special requests on the spot, who are the most worrisome. I worked at a high-end restaurant where a group of 12 ladies was seated, and they immediately began to work their server thusly: One house salad, no dressing, no vegetables and please put a well-done burger patty on top. Do not use oil to cook the burger. No salt and pepper, or seasoning of any sort. One house salad, no dressing, no vegetables and cheese or nuts (that’s dry lettuce on a plate — ma’am, do you realize you are paying $12 for that?). One burger, well done, no bun, no cheese, no bacon, no oil and no seasoning (that’s a hockey puck on a plate with nothing else). One of the guests was insistent about having “no oil in any preparation, because I am allergic,” but then asked for “oil and vinegar on the side” for her salad, and specified white balsamic vinegar as her vinegar of choice. Now, white balsamic is a type of vinegar, but we didn’t carry that as an in-house ingredient. These ladies seemed to be trying to out-healthy each other, while, at the same time, trying to impress their fellow diners with their foodie cred. One of them asked to substitute “Sriracha compote” for salad dressing. I Googled that shit. There are recipes out there, but what was it about our menu that made her think we had that in the back room, ready to ramekin up for her?

Then there are patrons who use the menu as an à-la-carte list of ingredients. “I’d like an omelet …” (the server later told me the ellipses were silent, but he could see them appear in the air in front of his face while he waited for the other spoon to drop. “… with your egg salad.” Server: “Great. So that’s one of our basic omelets, and also an egg-salad sandwich. What would you like as your side item?” Guest: “No, I’d like an omelet with the egg salad as the filling.”

At some point, if you’re not at Waffle House or Burger King, whatever weird combination of menu items you’re asking for becomes a perversion of the chef’s vision. Eventually, there’s a possibility that a good chef will have to say: “I’m sorry, but I’m not serving you that. That is simply not my food.”

Plainly put: Advocate for yourself, but also have some respect. If you have truly-dire medical allergies, call ahead, and see if we can accommodate you. We will do our best. You are not allergic to ice (Just say “no ice, please”). You are not allergic to the breeze on the patio after you asked specifically to sit outdoors.

And while I’m willing to accept that you have a severe allergy to salt, while I carefully make your salad, I might weep a little when you order the burger on a pretzel bun as your main, and when the server points out it’s topped with brushed butter and pretzel salt, you say breezily “Oh, that’s OK!” I’ll do my best to keep my salty, salty tears away from your plate.

Marsha Lynch has worked at many Louisville independent restaurants including Limestone, Jack Fry’s, Jarfi’s, L&N Wine Bar and Bistro, Café Lou Lou, Marketplace @ Theater Square, Fontleroy’s and Harvest.

Read it on LouisvilleHotBytes:
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?p=5628

and in LEO Weekly:
http://www.leoweekly.com/2016/06/have-it-your-way/
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Marsha's Industry Standard: Have it your way?

by RonnieD » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:05 pm

There is nothing in the industry I hate worse than SI. Nothing. I get why it happens, but I hate it.

Begin Rant:

You work really hard on recipes that will taste amazing, you build a menu that full of complementary recipes that will form a cohesive culinary body of work and then watch it all turn into an al a carte nightmare on the back of customer SI. Can I have this without mushrooms? Sure you can, but you know what, those mushrooms are meant to be in that dish for a reason, they add something otherwise they wouldn't be in there. We don't make recipes by throwing ingredient darts at a dartboard and using what sticks. By taking them out, you decrease the quality of the dish. I would rather you order something else that doesn't have mushrooms than delete them. There are other great items on the menu. It would be like going to the orchestra and asking the violins not to play.

In my kitchen we call any dish that has been SI'ed beyond recognition "Shrimp Alfredo." The joke goes: "I'll have the Shrimp Alfredo, but can I get spaghetti instead of fettucini, and swap the cream sauce for a tomato sauce, oh and can I get it with meatballs instead of shrimp? That would be great, thanks."

You think I'm kidding, but I'm not. It's like the "salad" in Marsha's story. Why bother going out?

End Rant.

But I get it. People have allergies and sensitivities. Customers know what they like and reasonable requests should be honored. But philosophically, it still sticks in my craw. Right in the craw.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:59 pm

Thanks, Ronnie. I feel you! Another big problem with super-special requests is that folks feel free to then complain about their meal on Yelp/Facebook/other social media.

"I dined at (insert restaurant name here) the other day and I ordered a salad with no dressing, no vegetables, no seasoning and no croutons. It was sadly underwhelming and the lettuce, while fresh and crisp, tasted dry and underseasoned."

"I dined at (insert restaurant name here) for brunch yesterday and ordered an omelet filled with egg salad. Sooooo egg-y. Too much eggs in one dish! Also I do not like dishes that include warm mayo, which was in the egg salad filling!"

And so on.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:04 pm

I used to know a friend of a friend who would always ask for her salad to be heated up. She would literally have them microwave a Cobb salad or even run it under a broiler. She said it was because cold salads hurt her teeth. I mean, I get wanting to avoid pain. But still, the look on servers' faces when she would order that was pretty funny.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:14 pm

From my wedding cake days -
Her: The groom hates coconut!
me: Ok, well what flavor cake would he like for his groom's cake?
Her: Italian creme
me: You know that basically a white cake with coconut and pecans added, right?
Her: Yes! It's his favorite!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:47 pm

I think everyone knows at least one of those individuals that are empowered by making others step and fetch and serve and sweat. I see it in little kids all the time. Then they grow up with that servitude neediness and terrorize food servers and kitchens citywide. Personally, I hate dining with them. :evil:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:24 pm

Great article, Marsha! I have a wonderful friend that I finally have told to just bring what she can eat when she comes to our house--WAY too many inconsistent, undiagnosed allergies/intolerances!!! Going out to eat with her is challenging at best and often embarrassing--ask Gayle :roll: . I feel for the staff of any restaurant we frequent!!!
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:07 pm

Thanks, Carol. I know the type!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:21 am

So, I have the gene that makes cilantro taste like soap. I was at a local Mexican joint and asked that the cilantro garnish be left off of my fish tacos. My server replied, "But the cilantro just MAKES the dish!" I assured her that for most folks this was true however, for me, cilantro would actually ruin the dish. She then asked what other "allergies" I had. (She used air quotes!) I told her that I didn't have any food allergies, that I just don't like the taste of cilantro. She suggested another dish without cilantro. After a few minutes of this back and forth, I ordered the fish tacos as is and picked off the cilantro garnish. I passive aggressively made sure to leave nothing on my plate but several cilantro leaves arranged in an artful pattern.

I support the idea of preserving the vision of a chef however this well-meaning woman took things a bit too far. Leaving off garnish isn't going to weed anyone nor does it ruin a dish. In fact, leaving off garnish often saves time for a server who has to do that step as food leaves the window.

Also, I hostessed at the height of the low carb craze in the mid 2000s and remember everything being ordered without a bun/bread. Then, diners would complain that their burgers were too hard to eat when sandwiched between 2 pieces of lettuce. Good thing those burgers they ordered left plenty of room for dessert which, of course, they ordered.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:06 pm

Alexis Rich wrote: I ordered the fish tacos as is and picked off the cilantro garnish. I passive aggressively made sure to leave nothing on my plate but several cilantro leaves arranged in an artful pattern.

I would also have left no tip. Attitude I don't need
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:52 pm

The world of humans is largely one of compromise.The difficult issue is always who holds the power in the relationship when you begin to compromise. In a service industry the customer has the dollar and is your best sales person if you can win them to your side. It's difficult, but sometimes you have to have a good waiter or manager to figure out how to massage this compromise into something cool for both parties. But make no mistake this is the dance of all service industries.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:14 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:The world of humans is largely one of compromise.The difficult issue is always who holds the power in the relationship when you begin to compromise. In a service industry the customer has the dollar and is your best sales person if you can win them to your side. It's difficult, but sometimes you have to have a good waiter or manager to figure out how to massage this compromise into something cool for both parties. But make no mistake this is the dance of all service industries.

...very astute.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:30 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:But make no mistake this is the dance of all service industries.

A few of these posts brought to mind this classic scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URdCltP8rqA
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:57 pm

SilvioM wrote:
Adriel Gray wrote:But make no mistake this is the dance of all service industries.

A few of these posts brought to mind this classic scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URdCltP8rqA

The chef in that reminds me of this~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lfZg-apSA
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:00 pm

Next