Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Scott Hack

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:09 pm

Pewee Valley, Kentucky

Joe's OK Bayou - Closed

by Scott Hack » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:04 am

According to my buddy Jon, there is a note on the door saying they are closed today. But he has tried for 3 different days and they still say closed. According to the FB page they are "Permanently Closed" -- I must now weep.
Scott Hack
Finish Line Realty
502-376-4225
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Joe's OK Bayou - Closed

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:08 am

It is sad. Nice place, and the owner (based on email exchanges) seemed to be a friendly guy. :(
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:31 am

Another loss for the city.

My win, place, and show for its replacement:

Win: A lunche numero uno, dos , tres, "autentico" Mexican joint
Place: A.....drumroll....pizza place
Show: A....you guessed it,....... another hamburger place

My wish list:

1) French bakery/boulangerie a la Blue Dog
2) Greek or Turkish food
3) Philippine or Malay food
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:45 pm

James Natsis wrote:My wish list:

2) Greek or Turkish food

I like that wish list, James, although I'd take care to ask for "real" Greek. I'd also note that a bread place like Blue Dog implies a massive capital investment. A brick oven from Barcelona whose high five-figure price included bringing a guy over from Barcelona to build it. :mrgreen: ...
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:58 pm

Wow. I worked for Joe (Wheatley) about 17 years ago, before I set sail on my J. Gumbo's adventure. He is a great guy and OK Bayou was a really fun place to work. Lots of great memories. I figured Joe's was just a Louisville fixture; this is a loss for sure. I wish I had been able to make it back over for all you can eat Étouffée one last time.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:58 pm

Sad day!!! :( It was always packed!!! Great for eat-in and carryout.

The CJ posted a blurb a few hours ago, but all it says it that they couldn't contact anyone.
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

by Joni L » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:24 pm

Noooooo! Their crawfish etouffee was the stuff of dreams. I've tried to duplicate it with no success. They will be missed!
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:46 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
James Natsis wrote:My wish list:

2) Greek or Turkish food

I like that wish list, James, although I'd take care to ask for "real" Greek. I'd also note that a bread place like Blue Dog implies a massive capital investment. A brick oven from Barcelona whose high five-figure price included bringing a guy over from Barcelona to build it. :mrgreen: ...

I hear ya, Robin. But we are reading reports of well into 6 figures (and even beyond) for renovations, build outs, etc. So the money is there, especially in a rather simple setting that already has all the bones.

The market is there, as well. Blue Dog provides bread througout the city and is unable to produce and distribute enough for all who want it.
James J. Natsis
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:00 pm

Sad to hear of another favorite place passing but we haven't been but once or twice in the past couple of years as it was one of our older son's favorites as well and hard to go since he passed away :cry:
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:35 am

RonnieD wrote:Wow. I worked for Joe (Wheatley) about 17 years ago, before I set sail on my J. Gumbo's adventure. He is a great guy and OK Bayou was a really fun place to work. Lots of great memories. I figured Joe's was just a Louisville fixture; this is a loss for sure. I wish I had been able to make it back over for all you can eat Étouffée one last time.

Speaking of J. Gumbo's. Why are there only just a couple of stores remaining in Louisville? Working downtown, I miss it dearly. The one off of Poplar and UL also shut their doors. I only know of the Frankfort Ave. location now. What gives?
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:26 am

neal.johnson wrote:
RonnieD wrote:Wow. I worked for Joe (Wheatley) about 17 years ago, before I set sail on my J. Gumbo's adventure. He is a great guy and OK Bayou was a really fun place to work. Lots of great memories. I figured Joe's was just a Louisville fixture; this is a loss for sure. I wish I had been able to make it back over for all you can eat Étouffée one last time.

Speaking of J. Gumbo's. Why are there only just a couple of stores remaining in Louisville? Working downtown, I miss it dearly. The one off of Poplar and UL also shut their doors. I only know of the Frankfort Ave. location now. What gives?

There is still a second one off Hurstbourne behind the Home Depot near Taylorsville Rd.

According to their website they just hit the Las Vegas market. It seems that national expansion is their driving force these days.
James J. Natsis
User

Scott Hack

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:09 pm

Pewee Valley, Kentucky

by Scott Hack » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:52 am

Joe sold less than a year ago I think. The new people I guess just couldn't make it work. I thought they were doing well. It seemed busy still for lunch when I stopped in. I'm really disappointed. First the J. Gumbos in Lyndon closed and now Joe's OK Bayou. I have no where to go to get my cajun fix now!
Scott Hack
Finish Line Realty
502-376-4225
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:08 am

There's a banner hanging outside Scheler's Market at 2nd and Magnolia saying there's a J Gumbo's inside. What's that about?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:35 am

Leah S wrote:There's a banner hanging outside Scheler's Market at 2nd and Magnolia saying there's a J Gumbo's inside. What's that about?

There's a J Gumbo's inside? :mrgreen:
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:27 pm

Wasn't J Gumbo's part of the food-cart program Kroger was trying out in some of its local stores? Maybe they decided to take that idea and set it up in Scheler's.
Next