Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: "Do you need any change?"

by Carla G » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:15 pm

Willie Myers wrote:I think Andrew's suggestion is really the best, and here's why; say a $60 meal. w/tip, that's $72. If I put down 4 x $20's and the server says "do you need change?", that's an insult to me and makes the server seem greedy. a "no-win" for either of us.

I agree.
"I'll be right back with your change " gives the diner the option of saying, "we're cool" and doesn't leave anyone with any hard feelings of having their hands forced or embarrassed and saves the server from excessive running around. It's the assumption made after poor service that tics people off I think.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:56 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that paying with a credit card finesses this whole issue. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

by Tony G » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:59 pm

We are down on Hilton Head now. We were at a beachside bar/restaurant and ran up a pretty good bill. Our server was a very nice young girl here for the summer from Holland. We paid our bill and she immediately said, I will be right back with your change. We told her, no need, it's for you. It was probably a 22-25% tip. Perfect response on her part. We were more than happy to give her a little more than usual for her work.
no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

St Matthews

by Madeline Peters » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:58 pm

A 6.00 dollar drink is common for our restaurant. If one of our bartenders suggested a 4.00 dollar tip for a 6.00 dollar drink, I would be shocked, a little embarrassed and a bit angry...especially since we pay them quite well....I hope this was not us.
no avatar
User

StaceyBreckel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:13 am

by StaceyBreckel » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:05 pm

This doesn't bother me so much as the ones who don't bring back correct change. If my bill is $21.25 for example and I set down $40, I expect to be brought back the $18.75 and I will tip well. I don't appreciate when said server comes back and has already taken a cut of my money by not bringing back the change portion. To me, that ruined otherwise good service, and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:18 pm

StaceyBreckel wrote:... I don't appreciate when said server comes back and has already taken a cut of my money by not bringing back the change portion. To me, that ruined otherwise good service, and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Good point, Stacey. I have to say, though, that I've had the same kind of thing happen in my favor. My bill was $18.25, I gave the server a $20 and got back two dollar bills. Maybe they just don't want to fool with change and figure that most people nowadays are going to figure it balances out.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:04 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
StaceyBreckel wrote:... I don't appreciate when said server comes back and has already taken a cut of my money by not bringing back the change portion. To me, that ruined otherwise good service, and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Good point, Stacey. I have to say, though, that I've had the same kind of thing happen in my favor. My bill was $18.25, I gave the server a $20 and got back two dollar bills. Maybe they just don't want to fool with change and figure that most people nowadays are going to figure it balances out.

I've only had it happen like you described Robin in that we received more back than would've been required. I've had that happened several times and the server probably got the difference in what he gave me plus more back than he normally would've for a tip. I would feel cheated if what happened to Stacy happen to me and would probably give a smaller tip than usual because of it.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

StaceyBreckel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:13 am

by StaceyBreckel » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:23 pm

But Robin at that point it is the server's choice to do that. I have gotten no say when they automatically take part of my change. I feel like it is really wrong to assume to take part of someone's change without first asking.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:48 pm

Worked at a restaurant years ago, where a server, on his last table, wouldn't take back the change. He hoped they would get tired of waiting and leave. Restaurant stories.

Last week sat at bar. Couple sat down next to us just before us. They got their drinks. Didn't get ours. Didn't come back to take their food order. We didn't even get a drink. Got up to leave and were asked why we were leaving. Told them they were busy and we would come back another time.

Walked down the street. Sat at a bar. Got a drink and ordered app. Good, we thought. Then the bartendar decided to impress by hosting, going outside, running to the kitchen. We wanted another beer. Got his attention at the hostess station. He came back and told him we did need another beer but instead would take the rest of our food home with us and get our own drinks at home.

That was Monday. Haven't eaten out since and have enjoyed it.

Service sucks in Louisville. That's why we started sitting at the bar years ago. Now we eat out less and less because even the bartenders don't wait on us. Mike tips at least 20% if people remember us.

:-(

Ellen
Previous