Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Danny Mac in Mellwood Arts Center?!

by RonnieD » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:59 am

Did I just see what I think I saw? Danny Mac has opened up a pizzeria in the MAC?

This is too good to be true!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Danny Mac in Mellwood Arts Center?!

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:10 pm

no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

by Bryan Shepherd » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:31 pm

Thanks Ronnie D, now I have "the crave" for his steak!
BShep
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:31 am

We're there right now! So excited! Pie on the way, review to follow!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:23 pm

Superior pie! Incredible breadsticks ("cracksticks"). The place looks great despite sparse decor (looks like they are still moving in). We'll be eating a lot of pizza here, particularly with delivery on the horizon.

A wonderful and much needed addition to the neighborhood and arts center. An absolutely beastly challenge of a location, but I really want them to succeed. Between Danny Mac and Clifton's I'll never need patronize fast pizza again.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:38 am

We ate there yesterday afternoon. We had house salads ($3.99) and cheese bread. My wife, a salad lover who is often critical of restaurant salads, loved this salad. Nothing fancy, but good, fresh ingredients and surprisingly large for the price. And the cheese bread was outstanding, as always.

We left around 2:15 and there were 3-4 tables occupied the whole time we were there. I sure hope this place succeeds because, like Ronnie said, it's a great addition to the neighborhood.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:08 pm

Two subsequent visits have been exceptional as well. Got a cheesesteak and the wife got Veggie Spaghetti, both were delicious. Today we got a Chicken Bacon Ranch pizza, and again, top shelf. Thin crust and hand tossed are really great, Danny Mac has some of the best pizza dough I've had in town.

Really excited to have them right down the hill. Doing all we can to keep them going.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

dan.mcmahon

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue May 17, 2016 5:25 pm

by dan.mcmahon » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:33 pm

Thanks for the visit and for sharing your experience. We feel like the kitchen upgrade and new oven technology has helped us make our food even better. I have fell in love with the location. It's beautiful. Lot's of space. We didn't want to finish the decor yet because we have been talking with the local artists to try to get them involved with the restaurant by hanging their art inside on our walls. The Kore gallery hung a few in the front dining area with more to come. I love how my customers can enjoy the courtyard with our outdoor seating. It's definitely a new concept for us to take on but we are excited. We have come a long way since Clark's Lane 10 years ago.

For this location, we took on Full Service dining and carryout with a liquor and beer license. We hope to add delivery soon. Getting help has been one of our only obstacles so far. We have been taking applications for servers, cooks, and delivery drivers for the Mellwood location and Drivers and cooks for our Shelby Street location but haven't received that much response.

I love hearing that so many people are enjoying the new place. We just extended our hours a bit. Now we will be open Mon - Thurs 11am-9pm, Fri-Sat from 11am-Midnight (Kitchen closes at 11pm), and Sunday 1pm-9pm. We have went through our whole menu to help with operations. Lot's of options for lunch and dinner at Mellwood and the menu will probably have to be limited for a bit at the Shelby Street location inside Amvets Post #9 until we figure out the best way to do a kitchen upgrade.

I just thought I would give you guys an update after seeing you talking about us. Thanks for all of the support over the last 10 years and all of the kind words about my recent marriage. I really appreciate it and it's been fun too. (Danny Mac's Rocks).

Come on down and check us out. -Danny Mac
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:04 am

dan.mcmahon wrote: Getting help has been one of our only obstacles so far. We have been taking applications for servers, cooks, and delivery drivers for the Mellwood location and Drivers and cooks for our Shelby Street location but haven't received that much response.

Danny Mac, try posting in this forum's Restaurant Jobs/Help Wanted section. If you do, I'll cross-post it to our Facebook page too. :)
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:27 am

Robin Garr wrote:
dan.mcmahon wrote: Getting help has been one of our only obstacles so far. We have been taking applications for servers, cooks, and delivery drivers for the Mellwood location and Drivers and cooks for our Shelby Street location but haven't received that much response.

Danny Mac, try posting in this forum's Restaurant Jobs/Help Wanted section. If you do, I'll cross-post it to our Facebook page too. :)

I bet I can drive around town for an hour and see at least a hundred "now hiring" signs. I'm not sure if I just never noticed them before or if there's something else driving it.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:21 pm

Tried this place for the first time tonight and was impressed. I ordered a house salad, which as noted above, was not fancy, but the ingredients were very fresh. I didn't care for the Caesar dressing that was provided, but that's easily remedied if you are taking your order home (as I did). The bread sticks with garlic and Parmesan cheese were as amazing as everyone says. I regret not realizing that marinara sauce needs to be ordered separately, but truthfully, the breadsticks stand up perfectly well on their own and are lacking nothing. The Nashville Hot Chicken Pizza was nice enough, and the pickles gave it an interesting flavor without being overpowering. I know that heat levels are extremely subjective, but I felt like the chicken wasn't very hot. The dough was mildly sweet, but again, not overpowering. I ended up reaching for my trusty tin of crushed red pepper flakes.

So, I have a blended star rating on this one:
Salad: 4/5
Breadsticks: 5/5
Hot Chicken pizza: 3.5/5

The breadsticks alone are worth a visit, though, and I had forgotten what a neat place the Mellwood Arts Center is.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:13 am

He's been making it work for 6 years in this location alone. That's saying something in this industry!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:59 am

The pizza here is very good. I've only done carry-out, but the counter service is always very nice as well. Probably my favorite for "Louisville Style" pizza.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:35 pm

Just to reiterate how good the breadsticks are... Tonight, I reheated a slice of the leftover pizza and a breadstick in my toaster oven. 350 for 15 minutes with the convection on. My mistake was that I didn't wait until the oven preheated to put the pan in. A total philistine move, and the breadstick came out very brown but not burnt, but hear me out... Despite the drier texture from the way I abused it, I wouldn't call it improved, but it was still objectively a 5/5. The pizza was less drastically changed, and I kind of liked the crisped cheese along the edges. I still have leftovers, so I might try overcooking the pizza again, while waiting a few minutes to put in the breadsticks (and possibly wrapping them in foil).
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

by Bryan Shepherd » Tue May 17, 2022 10:40 pm

DM’s previously had 1 of the finest cheesesteaks in town. It used to be “go out of your way to get it” good.

I’m still a big fan overall, but I yearn for that original cheesesteak sometimes…..
BShep