Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

Grocery Curbside Pick Up Tipping?

by Christina Firriolo » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:47 am

The last time I picked up my groceries using Kroger's curbside service, she ran my credit card and then handed me the notepad which gave me a choice of tips beginning at no tip, then 10% and going up from there. I was confused as I really don't know what is expected as far as curbside pick up tipping goes. I am generally a very good tipper when in restaurants and other situations that call for them, but I really didn't know what to do in that situation. I ended up giving them about $8. I think, which I thought was reasonable, but I'm still questioning myself. Do you leave a percentage? If so, what? Or do you leave a set amount? If so, what?

Just curious about what other people do.
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Grocery Curbside Pick Up Tipping?

by Suzi Bernert » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:21 pm

That really amazes me since Kroger has a policy against tipping for the front end people, no matter what they do for you. My son works for them and his store does not have curbside yet, so I wonder if this is an experiment. I can see resentment if the people who do the curbside get tips and the others do not. Some of the folks at my son's store really do go above and beyond for customers.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:59 pm

Even though my local Krogers doesn't have curbside I have noticed more and more people being helped to their cars with their groceries. New procedures?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:54 pm

My 91 year old Mom has a quick response to those grocers with a no tipping policy. If the people help her with taking stuff out to the car and won't accept a tip due to store policy, she marches back into the store and seeks out the manager. She then explains it is her money and she will damn well do with it as she pleases and if she can't tip she'll shop elsewhere. She has never had a manager tell her she can't tip. After that, she merely tells a helpful employee that "Ray or whomever" said it was OKAY to take her money.
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:28 pm

Gotta love your Mom, Bill!!! And you wonder where you got your spunk!
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Christina Firriolo » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:21 am

Thanks. But I'm still confused as to how much I should tip. Today's grocery bill will be around $200. I think 20% is excessive for this service (although that was an option) and 10% seems about right to me, I suppose, especially if they are the ones getting everything ready for me. But if they're just bringing it out, I hope there is some sort of split between them and the people who are putting it together.

I've read most of these curbside pick up places do not accept tips at all, but this one not only accepts them but puts it as an option on your bill. Still confused...

Any suggestions?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:43 am

Assuming they are using an iPad/tablet point-of-sale system like Square Register, the tipping choice is baked in to the software (although I think it's an option that can be turned off in the settings). It may be that Kroger management isn't even aware of it. :oops:
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:04 am

I'd be inclined to tip based upon the number of bags (assuming real paper bags) as opposed to the total bill and subject to some minimum. I dunno, perhaps $1.50/bag. On a $200 order, in my experience, that formula would work out to $10-$15 based upon my shopping and packing experience. I'd consider your 10% to be more than generous, considering these employees are not working for $2.30/hr.
You concern about tip splitting is valid and I certainly would ask the manager how they handle that. I'm not gonna tip 20% or even 20% if the employee is merely loading my car and doesn't do any of the behing the scenes effort to fill my order properly.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Christina Firriolo » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:03 pm

Update!

So I went to pick up my groceries and I hit the 10% button. The lady, (who was a different lady from last time) told me they weren't allowed to accept tips. (although the last lady had no problem with me typing in what I wanted to tip)

I agree it's something that is built into the system.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:39 am

If it's Square, the tipping option is either enabled or disabled on the Settings screen.