Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

The "this is beer ?" moment

no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:49 pm

[

Proof the Billie D Williams can sell anything![/quote]

Twern't Billy D., but in fact the moderate price of $1.99 per 40 oz. and the the potency... and the flavor. I swear I recall a resemblance to the amber pales I hold so dear at present. It was progressive to my bright young palette. It had loads more structure than the light canned crap that my parents consumed.
no avatar
User

Lori Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:49 pm

by Lori Cundiff » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:30 pm

After repeatedly trying, and repeatedly swearing off beer throughout my college days, I moved to Louisville where my brother was confounded that I still didn't like beer. He bought me a Bass one night, and I was amazed. Not all beer tasted like college frat boy piss water!! From there, I started experimenting by telling servers that I wanted something "like" Bass, but not Bass. That only took me so far until I discovered the Louisville Ale Club. It was with that crew that I finally found my beer wings and started flying. It didn't take long to realize I was a hophead. Now ordering is SO much easier!
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:49 pm

Maisel's Weizen was my intro to wheat beer. I didn't even know there was such a thing. I loved the stuff. It's not distributed here and I used to pick up a case when vacationing in South Carolina.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:32 am

Dixie Blackened Voodoo.
Alas, it is no more. :cry:
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Scott_Shreffler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:05 pm

by Scott_Shreffler » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:39 am

Jackie, I will be doing a tasting of some of the Schlafly beers at Nita's Package Liquor next Friday 1/18 from 4-6 p.m. Juanita seems at least open to the idea of carrying good craft beer. Maybe she just needs more people asking for it. Anyway, I'd love to see you, and any other HotByters there for the tasting.
Carla, I believe they do still make Dixie VooDoo. I am fairly sure I saw it just the other day at J Gumbo's on Frankfort.

Scott Shreffler
Schlafly Beer
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
-Hunter S. Thompson
no avatar
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:53 am

Scott,
I LOVE Schlafly's APA - actually my choice for Seviche's only pale selection. I'd love to join at Rita's, schedule permitting, but is this a public event?

Also, I just recalled one of my old time faves from a decade ago - Cooper's Black Crow. So evenly balanced and because the place I once quaffed it, I did so regularly that it was kept fresh. Teh hee, my IPA is warming me...
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:10 am

Scott, you'd think that you might see whats available near your establishment before you begin catering to their needs
Frankfort ave is a great street for beer in Louisville
i can think of at least a half dozen establishments near that place that sell great beers on bottle and draft

good luck
might i suggest that she take a trip down to my former haunt, the Who Fo
mrkt to get a perspective about what she can sell in that neighborhood
(the selection is still pretty representative of my taste and uses my layout)

she can make twice as much money selling half as much beer
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Brett Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:33 pm

by Brett Davis » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:41 am

Ah, the ever fun epiphany discussion. The wine that sent me on my life's path is clear to me. I think beer came more in stages.

My first epiphany with beer came when I was around 15 and realized I actually liked the flavor of a beer and not just the buzz. Yep, it was Bud.

My second epiphany with beer was Grants Scottish Ale and how well it went with Gypsy Stew making me realize beer was not something I could take for granted as a sommelier. That is when I was 20 living in Colorado and having written my first wine list. A good beer selection quickly followed.

The third and most important epiphany was my first Belgian ale on tap. It was at the Bulldog in New Orleans (I hope it's still there!). The beer was Corsendonk and it changed my tastes in beer forever. I was 28 and that was…wow…13 years ago.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:50 am

is Grant's still brewing??
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Scott_Shreffler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:05 pm

by Scott_Shreffler » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:56 am

No, they shut down operations a few years ago. Too bad. Their Perfect Porter was damn near being just that.
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
-Hunter S. Thompson
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:59 am

carla griffin wrote:Dixie Blackened Voodoo.

It's back! We just got a case of this in last week. Huber Brewing (not to be confused with the local winery) out of Wisconsin is contract brewing the Dixie brands, including the Blackened Voodoo and Dixie Lager. Apparently they are going the contract route until they can get the brewery up and running again in New Orleans.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

Richard Rush

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:36 am

by Richard Rush » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:27 am

For me it was on a trip to England and Germany while in the USAF when I was in my early 20's. I spent many an evening in the local pub drinking what I called warm beers and throwing darts at a bristle board and eating shepherd's pie. It was a great 3 month vacation that opened my eyes to many things - including what good beer really was.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:41 am

Todd Antz wrote:
carla griffin wrote:Dixie Blackened Voodoo.

It's back! We just got a case of this in last week. Huber Brewing (not to be confused with the local winery) out of Wisconsin is contract brewing the Dixie brands, including the Blackened Voodoo and Dixie Lager. Apparently they are going the contract route until they can get the brewery up and running again in New Orleans.

Whew! I thought I was losing my mind. I was sure we just had some DBV last week.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:47 am

Todd Antz wrote:
carla griffin wrote:
Dixie Blackened Voodoo.
Alas, it is no more.

]That's great news! Thanks! Marsha , are you guys carrying it in the restaurant as well?
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:49 am

If someone has a chance would someone PM me and let me know how to properly use the "quote" tab in the forum> Thanks
Carla
PreviousNext