Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

The "this is beer ?" moment

no avatar
User

Aaron Thomas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:07 am

Highlands

by Aaron Thomas » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:42 pm

Like Steve, I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster.

My first beer epiphany came long before I truly crossed into my current state of beer obsession. It came in the form of Franziskaner, which my sister introduced me to at 21 years of age. My palate wasn't the most developed at the time, so while I couldn't have told you what I was tasting (bananas, cloves, and a hint of bubble gum), I did know I liked it more than any other beer I had tasted before. The mouth-feel, flavors, and the appearance of the beer were all so different from what I was used to: mainly golden lagers from the megabrewers.

But the beer that truly served as the launching pad to my current homebrewing, beer-obsessed, wannabe brewmaster status came 5 years later with a draft serving of Lindeman's Framboise at Rich O's. I love sour consumables, and I never knew that intentionally soured beer existed. That's when I learned what beer was really capable of, and that's when I started trying every different style of beer I could get my hands on.
no avatar
User

Michael Sell

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:35 pm

by Michael Sell » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:14 pm

Baby steps were, when in Wisconsin, New Glarus seasonals and hefeweisen...but for the eye-opening moment, add me to the La Fin Du Monde gateway crowd. It was interesting to go back to it after having stepped into Belgian/Ommegang land, as my appreciation of it was heightened.
no avatar
User

Jeremy Markle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:58 pm

In my car

by Jeremy Markle » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:45 pm

The Evolution of a Beer Nerd

High School: Natty Light (my brother's fault)
Freshman and Sophomore year of college: Schlitz and Mickey's big mouths
Junior and Senior year: Watney's Red Barrel, Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve, Sammy Smith Nut Brown.
Post-Grad: Bloomington Brewing Company and Upland beers
Those hazy traveling years: Great Basin Brewery and Sierra Nevada beers
Living in Tennessee: Man that was tough.
Beer epiphanies: Three Philosophers Quadrupel, Samichlaus, Saison DuPont, Boon Kriek

Officially a beer geek: 3 Fonteinen a/o Cantillon Lou Pepe Geuze

Beer Zenith: Lunch with master brewer Rudi Ghequier over a Rodenbach Foederebier

BTW, you can pick up a good selection of craft beer over at State Liquors near the Frankfort Ave. Lexington Rd. fork.
Check out the new http://www.kentuckyale.com
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:24 pm

GREAT INPUT EVERYONE
THANKS
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Steve Cecil

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:26 pm

Oldham County

by Steve Cecil » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:25 pm

Anchor Steam was the beer that got me to quit drinking the "Beast" and such dreck...
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Shawn Vest » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:03 pm

Anchor is such a great forward thinking brewing company, Fritz Maytag over at Anchor nearly singlehandedly revived American micro brewing.

he was on the history channel last night (a rerun of the modern marvels on distilling) talking amount his single malt American whiskey. Several micro brewers are playing around with distilling liquors and providing pretty interesting products.
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:57 pm

Steve Cecil wrote:Anchor Steam was the beer that got me to quit drinking the "Beast" and such dreck...

I assume you mean Milwaukee's Best and not Avery Brewing 'The Beast"
Which rates a 93 on Rate Beer
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Steve Cecil

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:26 pm

Oldham County

by Steve Cecil » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:01 pm

David R. Pierce wrote:
Steve Cecil wrote:Anchor Steam was the beer that got me to quit drinking the "Beast" and such dreck...

I assume you mean Milwaukee's Best and not Avery Brewing 'The Beast"
Which rates a 93 on Rate Beer

You are correct. I've never had the pleasure of tasting the beer in your link.
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:30 pm

You should get one and share it with a friend. Consume no colder than 50 degrees F.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Matt B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Louisville, KY

by Matt B » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:19 pm

I have had a couple - one more recently.

The first was Trois Pistoles (Unibroue) and Siberian Night (Thirsty Dog) at Maido. It was my first time at the restaurant and I will never forgive them for introducing me to better beers.

More recently it was Ayinger Celebrator. I was stuck in a Belgian rut (not a bad place to be) and tried this. Now I'm hooked on Dopplebocks and Hefeweizens.
no avatar
User

Joel Halblieb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:59 pm

Metaphysicalcenteroftheuniverse

Good beer

by Joel Halblieb » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:37 pm

As soon as I had a job I got someone to buy Sammy Smith's Imperial Stout and Guiness Extra Stout for me. Sierra Nevada Porter and Stout are the reason I started brewing beer.
no avatar
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Shawn Vest » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:01 pm

enough can not be said about Maido and their beers
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

by Todd Pharris » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:23 pm

Speaking of Avery, I had their Maharaja Imperial IPA on draft last night. It was quite tasty.
no avatar
User

Scott_Shreffler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:05 pm

by Scott_Shreffler » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 pm

That whole series of beers that Avery does with the Maharaja, the Czar and the Kaiser are all delicious. The Maharaja is a personal favorite of mine.
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
-Hunter S. Thompson
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:48 am

Scott_Shreffler wrote:That whole series of beers that Avery does with the Maharaja, the Czar and the Kaiser are all delicious. The Maharaja is a personal favorite of mine.

If I can (legally!) score a keg of Maharaja in the next few weeks, we can have all three on tap at once during Gravity Head.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
PreviousNext