Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:59 pm

i agree
the long lost beer that we first found to be tantalizing, mysterious, and delicious
that led us astray from the common beers of the common man
to a deep secret world full of magical sticks that contained the yeast from prior batches of the elixir, where echoes of hundreds of years of brewing funk had collected on the rafters and in the corners of long darkened brew houses

romantic indeed
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:01 pm

Billy Beer
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Shawn Vest » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:02 pm

those crazy Carters
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:35 pm

First-time poster, long-time lurker. The beer discussions going on here lately have prompted me to get off my duff (malt-enhanced, mind you) and dip a toe in the water.

My catalyst: Stroh's

OK, wow, citing that fire-brewed pride of Detroit earns me no cool-points. But let me explain: I'm NOT one of those people who had to learn how to appreciate beer. Nope, I liked it the first time I tried it as a wee-lad taking a surreptitious sip out of my dad's glass. One of my fondest youthful memories concerns delivering a glass to my dad who was busy toiling away at our oft-cantankerous furnace. I knew he liked it cold, so I proudly proclaimed something to the effect of: "I put ice in it to keep it cold!" I was quickly disabused of the viability of that combination. I thought it was tasty, and I have to say that Coors owes me royalties on their marketing scheme. I was WAY out in front of that whole frost-brewed thing.

Now, of course, I've moved on to bigger and better things. I'm strictly a Westvleteren 12 man these days (except when I want to go slumming and tip an 8 ). I would insert a sarcastic smiley here, but I'm trying to cut down... (next up: ellipsis)

In all seriousness, my eyes were truly opened once I became familiar with the wares of our Belgian friends. In a word, Belgian ales are akin to a different galaxy when compared to lagers, and most other ales as well. I was already well down the ale path, having spent a semester tipping pints at university in Scotland and developing a taste for peaty Scotch ales and sessionable 60 shilling. Later, I became somewhat of a hop-head with the proliferation of craft-brewed IPAs in the early and mid 90's. But when I stumbled onto my first Belgian, Chimay Grand Reserve I believe it was, I was gobsmacked. A truly new vehicle for appreciation had pulled up for inspection. I'm now a committed Belgian-ale-a-phile. I've but one tour under my belt: A quick hit of the tiny hamlet of Achouffe, home to those adorable gnomes of the Ardennes. I'll be heading back as soon as the Euro becomes less of an obstacle.

And yes, I do have a bottle of Westvleteren 12 in my cellar. One, and it's mighty lonely. My method of procurement: My doctor gave it to me. How's this for an inexplicably delightful visit to the doctor: walking out with a bottle of beer. Ah, the pleasures of sharing a taste for Belgian ales with your health-care provider, and being the first to see him upon his return from Belgium.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:23 pm

I wish someone would advise Nita's liquor store on Frankfort Ave. on their beer purchasing. Not a single porter or stout and the best available IPA is Kona BC Fire Rock. Tasty, but not what I was hoping for after these titillating discussions. It's just so conveniently located by my domicile.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:46 pm

Jackie R. wrote:I wish someone would advise Nita's liquor store on Frankfort Ave. on their beer purchasing. Not a single porter or stout and the best available IPA is Kona BC Fire Rock. Tasty, but not what I was hoping for after these titillating discussions. It's just so conveniently located by my domicile.

I've wondered about that store, which is close to my domicile, too, but it has that neighborhood-bottle-shop look.

Have you checked out The Wine Rack a few blocks farther out Frankfort, Jackie? Next door to Heine Bros. It's mostly about wine, but they have some artisan beers, too, and it's run by exceptionally nice and knowledgeable folks.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:57 pm

Indeed I have. And it will most definately be my first choice in the future. It's been a bit since my last visit, so gracias for the reminder. I do wish Nita's better success, though, so I hope they make improvements to regain my business. I choose to imagine that they are nice people deserving a fair shake.
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Shawn Vest » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:35 pm

tell those guys to carry good beer, for cripes sake
kona is yet another pillar in the AB community (and is bottled at the Redhook facilities if I'm not mistaken)
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:52 pm

I was unaware. Have a friend who is lucky enough to manage the kitchen at the brewery in Hawaii, so I don't feel so bad. I'm supporting his financial freedom to visit for Derby. And I'm getting a mid-day buzz...teh hee.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:52 pm

Jackie R. wrote:I choose to imagine that they {Nita's} are nice people deserving a fair shake.

I don't doubt it, and did not mean to imply otherwise. I'll drop in and shop around, next chance I get. But I can walk to The Wine Rack, and it's a slightly longer hike to Nita's. ;)
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:54 pm

Sriously, Robin, I should be honest and tell ya, "it's not a good selection for anything." I feel bad...
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:01 pm

Shawn Vest wrote:well we all have to start somewhere even if it is Colt 45
Maybe we should refine the post a touch.....beer you take when fishing?? Nothing beats a cold Colt 45 and a 10LB steelhead on your line....."Cold Malt Liquor Satisfaction"!!........(sorry Roger)
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

Caleb Weber

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:08 pm

by Caleb Weber » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:13 pm

40 down
grab yourself an ice cold
colt 45
feeling alive
drunk as f in the daylight ready to die!

the first beer i tried and liked was killians.
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:51 pm

Jackie R. wrote:Oh god, I hope I don't get slammed for this, but Colt 45. Yes, that was my first exposure to stronger malted and hopped beverage. I haven't tasted the swill in over 13 years prolly, but I remember the impact and the relationship that I felt could flourish. Now good beer is nearly all I ever drink.

Proof the Billie D Williams can sell anything!
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:05 pm

Sorry for the repeat of this story for the few on here that know it, but the first beer that got me to move out of Swillville was Spaten Lager. I was in grad school at Ball State, and was hanging out at a new bar that had opened off campus called the Heorot. After drinking a yard of beer (Bud Light), which seemed revolutionary to me at the time to drink out of such a large glass, I went up to the bar to order another. The bartender asked me how could I stand to drink that sh&^$t. I replied what are you talking about, this is the best selling beer in the world, that many people cannot be wrong. He said, let me buy you a pint of something good, if you don't like it, the next yard of Bud Light is on me. So the poor college kid in me is thinking, this is awesome, I'm going to score two free beers! I take the glass of Spaten back to my table, curious and wary of what was in the glass. After 2 sips, I was hooked. I could not believe the wonderful flavors that were in that beer. After finishing half of the beer, I carried it back up to the bar. The bartender stared at me, wondering how in the heck could this guy not like Spaten? I asked the bartender how much a pint of this stuff costs, after he replied, I doubled the price, handed him that amount of money, thanked him for showing me the light, and told him to enjoy the tip. It was the last beer I had that night, as I had just spent the rest of my beer allowance for the night on that one Spaten and the tip, but I walked home with a feeling that I had really caught on to something good that night.

Ironically, I rarely if ever drink Spaten anymore. My tastes have gone well past most golden lagers, but I still will get a small glass of it at Rich O's everynow and then to remind me of where I came from in the beer world.

Not really a holy Sh^%$&t moment, but more of an epiphany that there is better beer out there. You just need the right bridge and guide to get there.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
PreviousNext