Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

Update on SuperChefs and villain themed DINNER

by Alanna H » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:54 am

Per the C-J

Chef Darnell Ferguson is developing his third restaurant concept with NBA veteran Derek Anderson aiming for healthy fare and comic book references.

SuperChefs by day and DINNER by night: two restaurant concepts by celebrity chef Darnell Ferguson arrive early next month inside the same building on Bardstown Road in the Highlands.

Ferguson, a champion of "urban eclectic" high cuisine at accessible prices, said he is also collaborating with NBA veteran and former University of Kentucky basketball player Derek Anderson to develop a third restaurant concept with a menu assembled around health.

SuperChefs' soft opening arrives July 9, with favorites like red velvet pancakes, eggs Benedict, and the bright green waffle "Hulk" sandwich with candied bacon, craft sausage, eggs, cheese and syrup, Ferguson said. The family-friendly fare with a super hero theme will grace restaurant tables by day for breakfast and lunch in full swing after that weekend. While Ferguson appeared with chefs Emeril Lagasse, Rachael Ray and Guy Fieri in recent months on the Food Network, he has also been resuscitating his SuperChefs brand in Louisville since his former location in St. Matthews was destroyed by fire last January.

When hot August nights arrive, the building at 1702 Bardstown Road will transform into DINNER, he said, where the super hero ambiance flips to the nefarious side of the comic genre. At 5 p.m., SuperChefs will strike delight into diners' hearts with "villain style," he said. Instead of servers in SuperChefs t-shirts, ladies and gentlemen dining out will find wait staff in full aprons and ties bearing the likeness of comic icons like The Joker, The Penguin and Bane, all arch enemies of Batman at DC Comics, he added.

When both restaurants are in full swing, Ferguson will close everyday between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. to "change our total decor, art works and tabletops, while adding a lounge area."

"When you walk in at night, it is a different restaurant," he said.

Happy hour at DINNER will feature bargains like $3.50 lamb chops, crab cake lollipops, and stuffed scallops with bacon fat, Boursin cheese and diced, candied bacon, he said.

"I think I'm giving the best deal in the country," Ferguson said of the lamb chops, which he added can be found on white-tablecloth-covered tables in fine dining establishments at the rate of between $28 to $32 for four. "It is going to be really, really fun."

Reflecting both enterprises, SuperEverything Limited Liability Co. declared its intention to apply for a liquor license June 3, public records show. Company owners, the public notice said, are Ferguson, fellow chef Rodney White (a friend from their days at Sullivan University) and University of Louisville Cardinal Towne developer Larry Gough.

Gough and White did not immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday.

Derek Anderson was part of the University of Kentucky basketball team that won the NCAA championship in 2009 <--- that's definitely the wrong year. He followed that with a 10-year career in the NBA, including time with the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Miami Heat.

Anderson did not return a request for comment Wednesday. But his tastes do skew heavy on vegetables, low fat proteins and healthy oils.

When asked by WAVE-3 news anchor Dawne Gee to submit a favorite recipe for her cookbook, "A Recipe to End Hunger," in 2014, Anderson was one of the few Louisville area celebrities in the book to offer nutritious fuel for the body instead of comfort food.

Anderson's published recipe, "Derek Anderson's Chicken, Sweet Potatoes & Broccoli" features sauteed boneless, skinless chicken breasts in coconut oil. The chicken is then served alongside unadorned baked sweet potatoes and crisp steamed broccoli.

Conversations with Anderson about a healthy restaurant turn away from processed foods toward "eating natural from the land," Ferguson said.

"We want to make health fun for people and we are thinking of a name for the restaurant," Ferguson said of his talks with Anderson. "We want to get men to understand that being healthy is not bland food. He eats good food and he's really, really smart. We are putting every ounce of our brains into it and we are going to dominate it."
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: Update on SuperChefs and villain themed DINNER

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:25 pm

Former Strati Wild Italian space.

This seems...ambitious!
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:28 am

1996 NCAA Championship
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:47 pm

I think that someone has already hinted at this but I'm going to come right out and say it. I don't think this Jeykll/Hyde gimmick is needed for SuperChef. Isn't his food already established as pretty good and can stand on its own? Is anyone else thinking that this is a bad idea? As a businessman, is it really wise to close your doors for 2 hours and pay people to change up the decor for dinner service?

Maybe I'm missing something. If so, I count on all the other folks in the forum to fill me in.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:52 pm

Alexis Rich wrote:I think that someone has already hinted at this but I'm going to come right out and say it. I don't think this Jeykll/Hyde gimmick is needed for SuperChef. Isn't his food already established as pretty good and can stand on its own? Is anyone else thinking that this is a bad idea? As a businessman, is it really wise to close your doors for 2 hours and pay people to change up the decor for dinner service?

Maybe I'm missing something. If so, I count on all the other folks in the forum to fill me in.

I'm still trying to figure out what "'urban eclectic' high cuisine" is! I guess "high cuisine" is Himalayan inspired.
James J. Natsis
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:11 am

Alexis Rich wrote:I think that someone has already hinted at this but I'm going to come right out and say it. I don't think this Jeykll/Hyde gimmick is needed for SuperChef. Isn't his food already established as pretty good and can stand on its own? Is anyone else thinking that this is a bad idea? As a businessman, is it really wise to close your doors for 2 hours and pay people to change up the decor for dinner service?

Maybe I'm missing something too but my first reaction was, " Great! I can feel like I'm dining out with my 12 year old nephew."

"Quick! Think of a gimmick! Any gimmick!" :roll:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:35 pm

This sounds like a place you would find at a tourist destination like Myrtle Beach or maybe Gatlinburg. Not one for a food town like Louisville.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:46 am

Carla G wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something too but my first reaction was, " Great! I can feel like I'm dining out with my 12 year old nephew."

"Quick! Think of a gimmick! Any gimmick!" :roll:

That was the first word in my mind.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:45 pm

They open on Friday and the dining room looks quite nice. I'm going to check it out in the first week. The location is a bit cursed, but Sapparo is a few doors down and has been there for ages, so I have hope.
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:37 am

While I wish them all the best of luck, this concept seems like a "challenge" cooked up on something like Top Chef. Executing something like this for a special occasion, once in a while, could be kind of neat, but every single day seems a bit much IMHO.