Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

We’re singing in Gospel Bird’s choir

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:21 pm

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Gospel Bird's Southern Fried Chicken

What in the Hell is a Gospel Bird?

No, wait, better make that, “What in Heaven’s name is a Gospel Bird?”

I’m pretty sure it’s not a winged creature that knocks on your door and asks if you have found Jesus. It’s not a dove that comes down with wind and fire, either.

Nah, it’s a restaurant, and a good one, too, a recent entry in downtown New Albany’s growing dining cluster. Southern-style fried chicken is a specialty, and that explains the “Bird.”

But, pray tell, wherefore the “Gospel”?

Apparently, Gospel bird is a Southern tradition — delicious, crispy, sizzling, fried chicken served in potluck splendor after church. I wonder how I missed out on that.

But don’t worry, no one will evangelize you at this Gospel Bird. You’ll find no hymnals in the pews, and the closest thing to a sermon you’ll hear is the friendly server’s recital of the dessert menu.

But you will get good food, and plenty of it, at prices so reasonable that you’d be embarrassed to drop any less in the collection plate.

Owner-chef Eric Morris (whose name you may know from Loop 22, Hammerheads and Game), and head chef Ethan Ray (late of Roux, Rumplings and more), opened Gospel Bird in February in an attractive old storefront in New Albany’s historic downtown. It specializes in chicken, and in a broader range of Southern and regional flavors, too. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?p=5615

See this column also in LEO Weekly:
http://www.leoweekly.com/2016/06/singin ... rds-choir/

Gospel Bird
207 E. Main St.
New Albany, Indiana
(812) 725-1054
https://facebook.com/Gospelbird
Robin Garr's rating: 92 points
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

Re: We’re singing in Gospel Bird’s choir

by juan.molina » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:42 pm

Are their chickens natural, free range, no hormones, organic, local and treated well before they are killed and eaten?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:08 pm

juan.molina wrote:Are their chickens natural, free range, no hormones, organic, local and treated well before they are killed and eaten?

"Juan," why don't you call them up and ask them?
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

by juan.molina » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:34 pm

I thought it should be in the review. As a fellow tree hugger I know that type of info is important to you too. I've seen you talk about it before.

And why do you always write my name "Juan"? That's very disrespectful to a real Mexican.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:52 pm

I had the crispy mushrooms when we ate there last week. I was disappointed to find, though, that several other dishes we had tried previously had been dropped from the menu.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:08 pm

Why would they take off the Chicken Biscuit sambos? That was far and away what I was looking forward to the most...
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:31 pm

Adrian Baldwin wrote:Why would they take off the Chicken Biscuit sambos? That was far and away what I was looking forward to the most...

Same feeling I had about the Thunder Thighs. I drove from Fern Creek to New Albany to have that dish again, but when we got there we found it had been dropped. The Southern Fried Chicken was good, but I wouldn't make the drive for it.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:02 pm

Eric is on his way to give us more info, I think, but he just told me on FB that most of the missing items are back!
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:39 pm

juan.molina wrote:Are their chickens natural, free range, no hormones, organic, local and treated well before they are killed and eaten?

All of the above is good. My main question than ... are they dead?
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

eric.morris

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:39 pm

by eric.morris » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:34 pm

We've been experimenting with different dishes throughout the 4 months we've been open in new albany. We opened in the winter, went through spring, and now summer. Being that we hit nearly 3 seasons in 4 months we wanted to try different dishes that reflected those seasons. After removing the thunder thighs, biscuits, and livers, there has been a slight uproar. Starting this coming Monday all of those will be back on the menu and there to stay. Thank you for your support!!
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:01 pm

I have long sung the praises of "The Bird"...and my only complaint is the drive I must make from Middletown to get to New Albany can be a royal bitch if I hit the bridge mess just wrong.

Eric, et al, have ALWAYS bent over backwards to ensure that I'm served the best of the best. Never had anything to complain about coming from behind the swinging doors, or from behind the bar for that matter.

I've been remiss in making the drive due to other things happening on the home front, however, I do plan on making the trek up to see the guys in the very near future!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:53 pm

Bill Veneman wrote:I've been remiss in making the drive due to other things happening on the home front, however, I do plan on making the trek up to see the guys in the very near future!

Road trip? :D
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Waiting for Gospel Shmoo!
no avatar
User