Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Courier gets it right

no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Courier gets it right

by Ron Johnson » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:03 pm

Jere Downs nails Louisville's problem with Mexican cuisine:

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/li ... y/85820662

(Chances are close to 100% that I screwed up trying to post that URL.) :oops:
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Courier gets it right

by Mark R. » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:46 pm

Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:26 pm

Nice piece.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:21 am

I totally agree that Louisville tastes in Mexican has been flattened by the proliferation of cheap, Americanized Mexican like Tumbleweed or El Nopals. But I don't think it's the public's uneducated palette that haunts Doc's Cantina. When I read those reviews I don't come away with "too hot/spicy" as problems, I read bland and un-noteworthy dishes and sub par service. And personality I would take offense at someone laying the blame on public tastes and dining ignorance instead of getting their restaurant act together. The CJ coming out and saying "You're just too stupid to know good Mexican." isn't making them any friends.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:11 pm

A quote from one of El Camino's owners:

“Mexican food is something that people in this market perceive as cheap. Some people think that if they are going to drop money on a meal, they want a white tablecloth and some steak at Jack Fry’s. They want it to be prissy and fancy and they want their girl to understand they just took her to dinner.”

Give me a break. I'll never step foot in there. "Prissy and fancy"? What kind of adjectives are those?
no avatar
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:11 pm

No mention of the mac daddy of local "curated Mexican" Mayan Cafe. They are light years beyond these Johnny-Come-Latelys. :?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:20 pm

I'm glad to see a little pushback. No offense to the original post, but I'm just not seeing this as a prize-winning story. El Camino is nice. Mayan Gypsy got completely overlooked. And I'm proud of you guys for not giving the extended Doc's segment the ridicule that it deserved. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:42 pm

I like El Camino, too. In addition to Mayan Cafe, they might have mentioned Israel's Delicias de Mexico.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:55 pm

I don't know if it applies equally to Docs, as I've not dined there, but it nails the issue for El Camino. I think a big problem was marketing. No one balks at paying $28 for lamb in mole at Mayan Cafe, but Bruce very clearly kept his place distinct from "Mexican" or "Tex Mex" branding. El Camino marketing as "surf shack" probably made many expect cheap tacos and drinks on a patio in flip-flops. They weren't prepared for a Frontera Grill type experience and price-point.

at any rate Jere Downs wrote a good article that took a novel perspective. Nice change of pace for the CJ.
no avatar
User

JeffD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Louisville

by JeffD » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:05 pm

I agree with Ron regarding El Camino. Don't stage the restaurant as a suffers paradise with Dick Dale on the guitar and video reruns of The Endless Summer and think that conjures up the need for me to pay premium prices. (by the way, I love Dick Dale on the guitar) It isn't that my palette isn't as sophisticated as the principal interviewed described. I'll gladly plop down money that matches the cuisine and the experience. I don't feel like I got a good return at El Camino in my visits and in fact walking in seemed to actually queue my senses for a taco, even though I had other items as well. Heck, I'm not even saying the food isn't good. It is. I had plenty of dishes the past years since opening that was "fancified". Its just the pricing never seemed to match the environment or the service from indifferent hipsters who were oh sooo hip. It's true that Louisville has a plethora of training on basic Tex-Mex fare but please don't presume to think we can't distinguish a more sophisticated offering AND be willing to pay for it.
Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill you. ..... Butch Cassidy
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:39 pm

On a side note, I just noticed that Doc's is selling T-shirts with a fake John Lennon quote on them. Unless they're paying Yoko for the rights I think that stinks.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:52 pm

It really sounds like baby crying when a business, any business, blames the customers for the business failure.

The customer is the one who determines what is desirable.

Suggestion .. If you want to serve authentic Mexican food to people who are experts, go to Mexico and open a restaurant.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:57 am

I'm all about quality Mexican or Tex Mex food. I will pay extra. Mayan Cafe is great. The flavors are awesome. The heat is non existent. That's where they dumb it down for the yokels.

I thought Wild Rita's had a good mole style dish for a minute, but the quality is wildly inconsistent. I tried El Camino. Honestly, I hadn't noticed the mole dish mentioned in the article. Wish I had tried it. The tacos I did try were dry and flavorless.

Guaca Mole has some good dishes, but it just misses the spirit that I'm looking for. Seviche hits the mark with their mahi mahi tacos (ask for extra jalapeno rojo) but I got burned out on those (so to speak).

Now, I have retreated into the taqueria and tamale ghetto, and no longer let my hopes get too high.

But I have learned how to make awesome carnitas in my pressure cooker. So, there's that.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:32 am

Steve H wrote:Guaca Mole has some good dishes.

I remember going to Guaca Mole when they first opened. We were ordering some fun, unusual (for us) dishes, while we overhead an angry group at the adjacent table ask the waiter, "well, then, what do you have that is sort of LIKE a burrito?"

I guess they learned . . . Guaca Mole today has several burritos on the menu.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:52 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:I remember going to Guaca Mole when they first opened. We were ordering some fun, unusual (for us) dishes, while we overhead an angry group at the adjacent table ask the waiter, "well, then, what do you have that is sort of LIKE a burrito?"

I guess they learned . . . Guaca Mole today has several burritos on the menu.

That reminds me, with sadness, of Seviche's brief effort to establish a foothold in the suburbs on Goose Creek Road. We noticed at lunch one day that everyone around us was ordering guacamole (which was excellent) and complaining about the overall lack of familiar "Mexican" dishes on the menu.
Next