Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Courier gets it right

by Carla G » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:24 am

Steve H wrote:I'm all about quality Mexican or Tex Mex food. I will pay extra. Mayan Cafe is great. The flavors are awesome. The heat is non existent. That's where they dumb it down for the yokels.

I thought Wild Rita's had a good mole style dish for a minute, but the quality is wildly inconsistent. I tried El Camino. Honestly, I hadn't noticed the mole dish mentioned in the article. Wish I had tried it. The tacos I did try were dry and flavorless.

Guaca Mole has some good dishes, but it just misses the spirit that I'm looking for. Seviche hits the mark with their mahi mahi tacos (ask for extra jalapeno rojo) but I got burned out on those (so to speak).

Now, I have retreated into the taqueria and tamale ghetto, and no longer let my hopes get too high.

But I have learned how to make awesome carnitas in my pressure cooker. So, there's that.

If you haven't tried it you may be interested in El Mariachi off Westport Rd (kind of in the area of UPS and the skating rink). About the most authentic around. Afterwards you can visit the Mexican bakery next door or the grocery to pick up some south of the border supplies. If you go I hope you speak Spanish. Last few times we were there we were the only English speaking folk In the place.

And isn't it odd it didn't get a mention in the CJ article re authenticity? :roll:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:41 am

Carla G wrote:And isn't it odd it didn't get a mention in the CJ article re authenticity? :roll:

Okay, I've been holding this in: This piece was not "right," it was a puff piece for two local restaurants owned and operated by non-Latinos. Doc's in particular was likely a mercy article done at their request to try to overcome bad publicity.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:23 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Carla G wrote:And isn't it odd it didn't get a mention in the CJ article re authenticity? :roll:

Okay, I've been holding this in: This piece was not "right," it was a puff piece for two local restaurants owned and operated by non-Latinos. Doc's in particular was likely a mercy article done at their request to try to overcome bad publicity.

Yeah I was kinda thinking the CJ was blowing kisses to two restaurants that either does buy or might buy advertising from them. (Shrugs) so what else is new about the way Gannet approaches journalism?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:57 am

Carla G wrote:Yeah I was kinda thinking the CJ was blowing kisses to two restaurants that either does buy or might buy advertising from them. (Shrugs) so what else is new about the way Gannet approaches journalism?

Also, I guess I'm just being selfish here, but I couldn't help noticing that she spoke of Doc's negative Yelp reviews but did not mention the bad review they got from HotBytes/LEO Weekly. :oops:
Previous