Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

Re: River House scores a solid average

by Margie L » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:21 pm

Linda C wrote:I've been there four times, and my experience was much better. I ordered seafood and it was very good. I took daughter there for lunch yesterday; she had the salmon which was delicious and I had the ahi pro boy, which was also delicious and I got good fries, while she had rather uninspired veggies. The ahi is raw /rare, barely seared. I prefer mine rare, but a little more cooked. Still, it was tasty. The waiter never brought my iced tea, though I was charged for it. Others had cornbread, we never got any. I also didn't get my water refilled till after lunch, and drank my daughter's. Probably thought 2 women wouldn't tip . I tipped 22 %.

Curious, not judging. Why did you tip 22% when you were charged for a missing iced tea and your water wasn't refilled?
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:25 pm

Richard S. wrote:These reviews indicate what I've started to think about the Louisville dining scene in recent months. It seems as if there have been a number of restaurants that have opened with a business model based on mediocre food and service combined with outrageous prices. I just don't believe there are enough rich gullible people in town to sustain it for very long.

I wonder if it's the restaurant-labor shortage finally rearing its ugly head. If concepts that were on the fence could have been tipped in the good direction by competent, experienced cooks and servers in the past, but with those experienced folks spread thin, restaurants are having to make do with lower-quality help, and that's tipping the balance in the bad direction.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:04 pm

Margie, I tip 20 % even when a server drops food on me. I've played music in restaurants for years and my daughter has worked in the industry while in school and I know how nasty diners can be. I tipped 22 just to round up the number. They took the iced tea off the tab. I could have flagged him down for more water, I just like when they check on that, especially since I ordered a spicy dish. Same for the cornbread, we both had sandwiches and didn't want any, so I didn't mention it. On a previous visit, we were there for brunch and I had a very good seafood salad and my friend loved her crab stuffed avocado.
no avatar
User

david.lange

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat May 09, 2015 10:19 pm

by david.lange » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:28 pm

So were we, if by "confused" you mean "pissed off."

No, I don't mean "pissed off", it's just that I have know John for a long time and I have witnessed his passion for freshness and quality in all of his products. It may be that he is not aware that this is taking place by his staff. Offering French Press coffee is quickly becoming a standard in many high end restaurants and Louisville has a very good number that are taking advantage of this trend. But if you try to pass off burnt brewed coffee as fresh ground French Press coffee, then Kaldi's goats will quickly be tracking you down and dancing a Coffee Cantana on your fallen body.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:01 am

Lunch here yesterday. I'm afraid the flavorless salad and overpriced (and flavorless) oysters on the side were just "meh" at best. The setting is one of the best in the city, as others have pointed out, but it's surprising to me that, at least on this first visit, the food was just boring.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:46 am

Linda C wrote:Margie, I tip 20 % even when a server drops food on me. I've played music in restaurants for years and my daughter has worked in the industry while in school and I know how nasty diners can be. I tipped 22 just to round up the number. They took the iced tea off the tab. I could have flagged him down for more water, I just like when they check on that, especially since I ordered a spicy dish. Same for the cornbread, we both had sandwiches and didn't want any, so I didn't mention it. On a previous visit, we were there for brunch and I had a very good seafood salad and my friend loved her crab stuffed avocado.

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity, Linda. Since I have been a server, I also tend to err on the high side (although I draw the line at being blatantly ignored to the point of rudeness, which obviously doesn't apply to your experience at River House).
Previous