Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Customer service in relation to food quality

by Carla G » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:49 am

Just curious as to what others think...

When visiting a restaurant, if you figure the entire experience and satisfaction at 100%, what percentage would be food, customer service, ambiance? Where is your line in the sand where the experience is nullified?

For instance,
"Great food but the music (ambiance) was so loud I won't return"
or
" Menu is a bit lacking in variety but the folks are so friendly you hardly notice."

I'm thinking (guessing) for many it's 60% food, 25% customer service and 15% ambiance but I could be waaaay off. What floats your boat?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Customer service in relation to food quality

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:16 am

Great question! It's closely aligned with "how do food critics or reviewers decide what rating to give a restaurant?"

Speaking for myself, I'm not sure I can nail down a bright-line rule. The percentages vary. But one thing is certain: It starts with the food. If the food is poor or even just mediocre, the restaurant can't win a top rating. Atmosphere is pretty minimal on the down side - the most spartan storefront taqueria or other eatery (think the original Vietnam Kitchen, or the first Al Watan) loses nothing for ambience if the food is great and the service is friendly. But very fine atmosphere can add a few points on the up side. Think Le Relais or 610 Magnolia. Service is kind of the opposite of that. Really bad service can seriously mar good food in the overall accounting. Excellent service can add a few points, but it's not my primary concern.

Mmm ... I guess I'm saying food is a pretty solid 75 percent of my rating, but good ambience can kick it up a notch, and bad service can kick it down a notch.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:04 pm

I think what Robin said is pretty much our opinion also. We don't really take ambience and service into account that much as long as they are at a reasonable level. Only when the go outside of the comfort area do they influence our opinion of a restaurant. Continue along that line, bad ambience whether it be from excessive noise or some other item that is not easily correctable will probably mean that we won't be back. Bad service from the server or possibly even the kitchen won't be a deathblow to the restaurant if we really enjoyed the food. We'll just wait a while, hope they get things straightened out and that we don't get the same server.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:06 pm

Mark R. wrote:Bad service from the server

I just flashed on the very strange server at Tropicuba, the very short-lived tenant at the haunted spot on Frankfort opposite Comfy Cow. In my review I wrote, "Service was attentive but a bit forgetful, and tried a little too hard to be 'friendly,' an effort that did not come across well." I was kind of holding back. :mrgreen: Others reported similar, more colorful experiences. And yes, he definitely did influence my overall attitude about our dinner there, irrespective of the food.
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:47 pm

I'm going to weigh in on the other side of the equation here.

In the last couple of years, my wife and I have added 5 well-known restaurants to our "never again" list and in every case, it's been service-related. Good attitude, knowledgeable service and a willingness to make things right - when they're not - can make up for a lot of food-related faux pas, but the reverse is not true. The very best meal in town cannot make up for deficient - or rude - service.

So, put me down for 65% service/30% food and just 5% ambience....(I've had a lot of *GREAT* food in some real dives!)
Last edited by Willie Myers on Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:13 pm

This article came to mind to me this afternoon when we went to the new Joella's in Middletown. And unfortunately we thought about it in a not so good way. The service was abysmal, they were 10 or 12 people in line in front of us when we arrived yet it took over half an hour to place your order. The food did arrive rather quickly however after we finally placed the order. There were quite a few empty tables but unfortunately almost all of were dirty. That's two strikes. The food was okay but definitely nothing extraordinary nor would reconsider and even the best in any category.

The best item we had was the broccoli slaw followed by the banana pudding. Neither of the other sides we had, thin crispy fries, red skin potato salad or black-eyed peas salad were memorable all. The chicken was okay but somewhat greasy and somewhat overcooked making it somewhat dry.

I haven't mentioned ambience because in reality there isn't any. Now they expect a lot from a quick service restaurant like this so I guess in that respect it didn't fail. Establishing what you think Until we hear some better reports it's definitely a place that will be on our we need to go back there list.

User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:39 am

It certainly would be odd to say that the quality of the food wasn't at least 60-70% of the weighting, but I also think poor ambience can be a deal killer, especially noise. There are just places where I won't return, no matter how good the food is, if I can't have a civil conversation with my dinner partner(s). Guess I should define civil: not shouting (the topic might still be considered not civil).
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:56 am

Customer service plays a major role for me in choosing a place to eat. Two of my very favorite places in town to eat are Charims and a little place inside a Hispanic grocery on Preston Hwy what do they have in common...great service, greeted with a smile by folks who want your business. Yes the food is awesome at both places but there are hundreds of places to get great food in this town I choose based on the service and value because they want me to come back. Another great choice is Funmi's you may have to wait for your food but you are greeted well and treated well....Just what works for me and my family.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:10 am

BevP wrote:little place inside a Hispanic grocery on Preston Hwy

Chapinlandia? Guatemalan cuisine for the win! :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:43 pm

Mark R. wrote:This article came to mind to me this afternoon when we went to the new Joella's in Middletown. And unfortunately we thought about it in a not so good way. The service was abysmal, they were 10 or 12 people in line in front of us when we arrived yet it took over half an hour to place your order. The food did arrive rather quickly however after we finally placed the order. There were quite a few empty tables but unfortunately almost all of were dirty. That's two strikes. The food was okay but definitely nothing extraordinary nor would reconsider and even the best in any category.

The best item we had was the broccoli slaw followed by the banana pudding. Neither of the other sides we had, thin crispy fries, red skin potato salad or black-eyed peas salad were memorable all. The chicken was okay but somewhat greasy and somewhat overcooked making it somewhat dry.

I haven't mentioned ambience because in reality there isn't any. Now they expect a lot from a quick service restaurant like this so I guess in that respect it didn't fail. Establishing what you think Until we hear some better reports it's definitely a place that will be on our we need to go back there list.

If you want real hot chicken with delicious sides, Royals is the only way to go. They are killing it. Chicken has been cooked perfectly every time I've been.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:16 pm

neal.johnson wrote:
If you want real hot chicken with delicious sides, Royals is the only way to go. They are killing it. Chicken has been cooked perfectly every time I've been.

Unfortunately, Royals is owned by the owners of Feast Barbecue and after the way my wife and I were treated when we tried to visit their location in New Albany I will never consider going to any restaurant he owns!! :twisted:

no avatar
User

scott.shanklin

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:44 pm

by scott.shanklin » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:03 am

High end restaurant, service counts more

Hole in the wall restaurant, great food is all that matters, although indifference towards customers is never allowed.

Hole in the wall place to go, La Rosita Grocery for the best tacos in town !!!
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:29 am

scott.shanklin wrote:High end restaurant, service counts more

Hole in the wall restaurant, great food is all that matters, although indifference towards customers is never allowed.

Hole in the wall place to go, La Rosita Grocery for the best tacos in town !!!

+1
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:32 pm

I think it's so experiential that percentages are too crude to capture it. Like asking what percentage of melody to virtuosity I like in a song. Or percentage of texture to use of color I like in a painting.

But to answer your question 90% everything. :D
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:06 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:I think it's so experiential that percentages are too crude to capture it. Like asking what percentage of melody to virtuosity I like in a song. Or percentage of texture to use of color I like in a painting.

But to answer your question 90% everything. :D

I actually think that's a reasonable answer. :D
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson