Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ showers 4 stars on Tea Station Asian Bistro

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:24 am

Do you agree? I have an opinion based on a review last year, after the ownership change, but I'll hold back and see what you all think.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /84504068/
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

Re: CJ showers 4 stars on Tea Station Asian Bistro

by Jon K » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:05 am

Hallucinatory. It's a good place, but really..
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:52 pm

Tonight might be a good chance to check out the area. The Tea Station is hosting a block party beginning at 6:30. Band. Tent set up to sell food and drinks plus the restaurant is open.
Karem's is next door.
North on Meeting street is Citizen 7.
West on NC Blvd is the new Legend of China restaurant, then Commonwealth Tap.
East on NC Blvd is Gelato Gilberto.
Meeting Street south, is Mercato, then just a little further down, on the corner, is Johnny Bruscos.
If not tonight, stop and dine. Parking is fairly easy on the street or around town center. Also parking lots behind the major business/restaurant district.
I don't think I've forgotten any of the food or beverage opportunities. Also, a few shops might be opened tonight.
(I did forget Verbenas on Meeting Street, but it is only open for breakfast and lunch.)

http://nortoncommons.com/events/list/

Ellen
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:32 pm

We haven't been back since it changed hands, but her initial description that "one sauce tastes like another" was endemic of the prior ownership. They did have an authentic menu (only in Chinese), and would work with you designing any dish you wanted, but the menu was bland & monotonous.

Has anyone else been since the new team totally took over? Her review does make me interested in giving it another try.
Andrew Mellman
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:44 pm

We were there last Friday, and quite liked it. Everything was fresh and delicious, and the service was excellent. We would definitely go back! We got there at about 6:30 on a Friday night, and were seated right away. The place stayed busy, but since it's so small, the servers were able to take care of everyone easily.

Every table being a great table may be an overstatement, as the place feels a bit cramped and uncomfortable to me, but you have to work with what you've got. I would recommend this restaurant to friends.
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:25 pm

I've had really good experiences there both recently and in the past.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:52 am

I quite like the place. I've been there several times in the last year or so, did not realize it had changed hands. Have never had a less than stellar meal there. (Oh my goodness! The duck! The duck!) For me they have a great track record so I will happily return.
Sorry. Did not bother to read her review.

(Edited to correct a moment of stupidity/menopause/otherwise senility)

My apologies- I wrote the above statement with Jasmine in mind and not Tea Station. (Insert face palm here)

I have been to Tea Station but it was a few years ago when it first opened and I doubt anything about it then would apply to now. Guess I need to check it out anew.
Last edited by Carla G on Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Doug W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Doug W » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:14 am

My family really likes the Tea Station. I'm not a huge Chinese food fan, but I find their product good. We get take out or delivery from there more often than we eat in, but they are always friendly and the food is always hot and fresh. We don't live in Norton Commons, but they are developing a lot of nice eating and drinking options there.

Regards,

Doug
no avatar
User

scott.shanklin

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:44 pm

by scott.shanklin » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:54 pm

They have always been consistent. Been going there for years.

Food quality is first rate, service is great, not overly priced.

Are they worth 4 stars?
On a 5 star scale, Yes.
On a CJ 4 star scale?

Personally, a 4 star restaurant for me would have to require a bit more originality.
Love Tea Station, but it may be a 3.5 at best.

Maybe they got confused and rated Mercato Italiano which is around the corner. That place IS 4 Plus !

And I don't rate lightly :)
no avatar
User

Susan Mann

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:53 pm

by Susan Mann » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:37 am

Had lunch there recently. It was a good lunch, competently prepared but not as exciting as the CJ review would lead you to believe. Egg rolls filled with veggies: healthier than the norm but not very flavorful and the sauces served with it didn't help. The lunch entrees were good, one far better than the other (largely based on the quality of the sauce involved). I'd say a solid 3-3.5 based on what you order.