Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Thought - a flight of fish?

User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Thought - a flight of fish?

by Kim H » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:14 pm

Maybe this should be on the Kitchen forum, but I'm a little lost when it comes to different types of fish. I know a few I like, but I'd like to explore more. I become leary of trying a fish I/we've never had, or believe to remember not being fond of. I would love to have the opportunity to taste several side-by-side, in small potions, at either a restaurant or seafood shop. All prepared simply, and with the same method (altho certain fish could command a slightly different preparation), but a place where people could discover what they like in regards to our sea fowl. Just thinking "outloud." Anyone else think this might be fun and useful? (No sushi responses, please. That's not where I'm going. ;-) )
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Thought - a flight of fish?

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:37 pm

Kim H wrote:(No sushi responses, please. That's not where I'm going. ;-) )

Dang! I was going to say sushi. I'm glad I read this one all the way through. :D

That sounds like something that Linda at the Cottage might do. She's friendly and someties hangs out on the forum. Maybe give her a call? Ditto Gary at Highland Seafood, which is actually located in Middletown ...
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:42 pm

I know Bob Chinn's in Chicago has a daily "special" of three small 3-4 oz portions of different fish, all prepared the same way. Mitchell's used to have a similar entree, but the on-line menu doesn't show it any more. It was good for the restaurant, as they (at least Chinn's) used small trimmings for the portions, and it gave people a chance to try new things and they wouldn't have to toss portions too small to serve normally.. (I think Mitchell's might now get in portioned fish, so no longer has trimmings?)

You can google specific fish, as in "they are out of perch, what should I buy" and it will list similar options! Also, you can use the website http://www.cookingfishmonger.com/fish-taste-chart.html.

Finally, most cookbooks offer recipes by category; for example, you might find a recipe for pike that (usually) will say something like "you can substitute X, Y, or Z as your taste suggests", and there's a good chance if you like the original you at least wouldn't dislike X, Y, or Z.

If you find any restaurant currently offering tastings here in Louisville please post! We also would be interested.
Andrew Mellman
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:16 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Kim H wrote:(No sushi responses, please. That's not where I'm going. ;-) )

Dang! I was going to say sushi. I'm glad I read this one all the way through. :D

That sounds like something that Linda at the Cottage might do. She's friendly and someties hangs out on the forum. Maybe give her a call? Ditto Gary at Highland Seafood, which is actually located in Middletown ...

Lol! Sushi is the obvious answer, yeah?

I'll check with those two. Haven't been to Highlands Seafood in a bit, but I would imagine they'd be accommodating.

(Just a by-the-by... I used to frequent Highland Seafood when they really were in the Highlands! I'd walk there, hit Lotsa Pasta, and the sweet veggie store and butcher shop in the Loop. I was almost European for a minute - those were the days :-( )
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:19 pm

Kim H wrote:I'd walk there, hit Lotsa Pasta, and the sweet veggie store and butcher shop in the Loop. I was almost European for a minute - those were the days :-( )

1. Dang! You must be as old as me! :oops:

2. Totally agree on the European feel. Now I kind of get that on Frankfort from Wine Rack to Blue Dog. :mrgreen:
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:24 pm

Thanks, Andrew! I called Mitchell's, but at 5 pm, which I realized was against my better judgement. I'll spare the details, but a back-and-forth, "I'll ask" from a girl who probably still lives at home and eats Long John's, maybe, was a little comical. My bad on the timing, and also not requesting a mgr. Might not be the best go-to anyway.

I love the links you sent! Very helpful! I'll study up, and in the meantime, I bet Highlands would help me out! If it were just me, I'd buy some and see. Different with a dependant (husband ;-) )
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:31 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Kim H wrote:I'd walk there, hit Lotsa Pasta, and the sweet veggie store and butcher shop in the Loop. I was almost European for a minute - those were the days :-( )

No, I was 10 :-D Lol

2. Totally agree on the European feel. Now I kind of get that on Frankfort from Wine Rack to Blue Dog. :mrgreen:

I envy you! Miss having so many special things within walking distance!
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:15 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

LOL, I'm old too. The 'veggie store' was Datillo's, and the butcher shop was Kurz's.