Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

King Donuts

User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

King Donuts

by Mary Anne » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:27 pm

In true Louisville spacial orientation tradition, it's where the old Donut Kastle used to be. I swung in for a sortee, knowing I need to pick up a couple dozen donuts tomorrow morning for a meeting. Totally empty of people at 2 pm but a wonderfully friendly counter person offered a taste of the apple fritter when I asked her to wrap up a plain cake (my go-to for detailed donut analysis). Holycrap. I'm not a sweet eater by nature. I will break your arm if you reach for a nacho on my plate but sweet stuff isn't really my bag...usually. This was the best freaking apple fritter probably in this galaxy. No joke. Beautiful crunchy not too sweet exterior and apple-y moist interior. Divine. Give this little donut shop a try. There is a new King in the Kastle. :D https://www.facebook.com/LyndonLn/?fref=ts
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: King Donuts

by Carla G » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:42 pm

I thought they had pretty good doughnuts when they were the Donut Kastle too. Or maybe I thought the huge sign on the top of their building that read :
CHICKEN
DONUTS
with no punctuation was just so funny I'd like anything they did.
Guess I'll have to try the reincarnation out!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:49 pm

After all this time I was able to drop by and try a donut (or 2). Had the kids with me so we bought 4 donuts - one custard filled, one chocolate long john (she offered to fill it with my pick of either custard, white cream or raspberry. I opted for raspberry and it was good. Not just gelatinous red stuff.) , a cinnamon twist and a regular yeast donut with sprinkles. All were very good. What I remember the most the smell of the bag after we got into the warm car. It smelled like REAL donuts!
Yeah, I'll go back. :D
BTW, we were there at 9:15 am and they were packed.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:22 pm

We love it. The apple fritters are beautiful and delicious.