Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Costco Food

no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

Costco Food

by juan.molina » Thu May 26, 2016 2:34 pm

Are there any Costco shoppers out there? Any specific food/groceries that you like to buy there? I think they have Prime Beef. I also heard they sell more organic/natural foods than anyone in the country. Are there any great deals?
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Re: Costco Food

by Richard S. » Thu May 26, 2016 3:52 pm

I go to Costco every few weeks. It helps to know what things generally cost, because I've found that some items are cheaper than elsewhere while others are more expensive. Their rotisserie chickens are $4.99 versus $6.99 or more everywhere else, and their heat & serve mac & cheese is killer, so we often get that as a quick dinner for that evening. I don't really care for their bagels, but the Italian sausage is pretty good. We usually get a family-size pack of pork chops and break it down and vacuum seal them in smaller portions, I'm not really on the organic food bandwagon, so I don't pay much attention to that. We're all into the Keurig at my house and their Kirkland coffee pods are about $30 for a box of 100. I haven't seen prime beef, although I haven't really looked.

If you're a conspiracy theorist, I will say that Costco seems to keep a record of everything you purchase. We bought a brand of frozen vegetables there months ago that are now subject to a recall. We've gotten phone calls and a postcard about it.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Thu May 26, 2016 5:21 pm

We buy the prime strip steaks and filets. Delish. They have a great smoked salmon but I can't remember the brand, Vita maybe? Love their Jones brand Canadian bacon. Blackberries are about the only produce I buy since there's only two of us and the quantity is manageable. We eat a lot of nuts so the big bags of almonds and walnuts are a deal. As for the paper goods, if it's on sale then it's usually a good deal, otherwise look for sales elsewhere.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 26, 2016 6:01 pm

Our experience was pretty much like Robin's. Nice place, fun to shop, but most stuff comes in bags too big for two. We'd get a big bag of spinach because we like it, and maybe a giant pack of paper towels or TP. And the gas prices were great, although I expect Kroger gas with shopping-card discounts can match it now.

Bottom line, we didn't dislike it, but we didn't dislike it enough to justify the trip out 71 from the city very often, so the annual fee wasn't money well spent.

I also disliked the "we think you're a thief" inspection at the exits, but maybe that's just me ... I don't deal well with authority. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu May 26, 2016 7:16 pm

A new one is going in on Bardstown Rd across from Bodega Mi Sueno. We are considering joining once it opens.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 26, 2016 8:34 pm

Iggy C wrote:on Bardstown Rd across from Bodega Mi Sueno.

Or, in more traditional Louisville terms, "where Showcase Cinemas used to be." :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Thu May 26, 2016 8:53 pm

There is a Kirklands Pulled pork that we love. Comes vacuum packed and all you have to do is reheat. It is great!!!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri May 27, 2016 5:57 am

I'm the lone person in my household and I actually joined because their prices on some big ticket items I was looking for (furniture and some electronics) were better than other places I checked. Also the cost of new tires and rotation cheaper than anywhere else. Know too, if after paying the join up fee you don't save enough $ to recoup that cost then, at the end of the year, Costco will refund your join up fee. (Ask about that because there may be some stipulations that go with it that I have forgotten about.)

Robin Garr wrote:
I also disliked the "we think you're a thief" inspection at the exits, but maybe that's just me ... I don't deal well with authority. :mrgreen:

Yeah I know! Like "Here, let me slip this 10 pound box of animal crackers under my coat."
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri May 27, 2016 9:11 am

We have purchased the prime beef, but you have to look as prime sections mixed in with choice sections on occasion. Lamb chops (t-bone) very reasonable and inexpensive (comparatively). Fish has been good. We have not had good luck with berries, as two of us don't eat fast enough to finish before they spoil, but tomatoes and mushrooms are very good. Their hot dogs (Kirkland brand) are wonderful, as is the Tzatziki sauce they carry. Lox is great, and 1/2 the price of competition (other than Sam's).

Best deal in the place are the cakes . . . the "fancy" ones taste good at half the price of competition, and to get a half sheet cake for a birthday at maybe 1/3 the cost of Kroger (and better tasting) is ridiculous!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri May 27, 2016 9:17 am

Robin Garr wrote:Bottom line, we didn't dislike it, but we didn't dislike it enough to justify the trip out 71 from the city very often, so the annual fee wasn't money well spent.
:

You have to know what things cost. You can look it up (it's published), but Costco raises prices something like 14% over wholesale on Kirkland brands, and 17% on major brands (not sure, but I'm in range). Kroger and others often have lost leaders which beat Costco (check sales), but on men's shirts (for example) a Kirkland single needle man's dress shirt will be around $18 compared to $75 at major department stores.
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 27, 2016 9:33 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:... on men's shirts (for example) a Kirkland single needle man's dress shirt will be around $18 compared to $75 at major department stores.

Now, that's fascinating, Andrew. I had never even thought of Costco for clothing. I generally get most of my attire from LL Bean, and the fancy stuff from Rodes.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri May 27, 2016 9:57 am

Robin Garr wrote: I generally get most of my attire from LL Bean, and the fancy stuff from Rodes.

Are you bragging or complaining?
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

paula.evans

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:11 pm

by paula.evans » Fri May 27, 2016 10:20 am

Costco's price point on butter on a per 4 pack basis is better than Kroger unless Kroger has it on sale. Lettuce, English Cucumbers, and many fruits are priced better but you have to be able to go through them or share them with a friend. I love the short ribs at Costco for the way they are cut and for the price point. Toilet paper and paper towels are competitively priced especially when there is a Costco coupon; branded name toothpaste and toiletries and vitamins as well.

The men's Kirkland tennis shoes saved me during the period that my nephew was going through a new 1/2 size every 4 months or so. For only $19.99, I bought him 3 different sizes for a whole year! :-) He said they were comfortable as well.
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Fri May 27, 2016 10:49 am

I do love Costco's lox, smoked salmon, whitefish salad, and numerous other products. I recently hosted a catered luncheon and provided my own desserts from Costco and everything was devoured ( the Key Lime Pie was especially delicious). My husband does buy some dress shirts there and I've found good prices on other clothing as well. We also bought a trash can and outdoor patio umbrella there this past week. Another great aspect of shopping there is their return policy. We bought patio furniture years ago and a chair broke and they sent us a new one, no questions asked, within a week. Contact lenses are also a great price. I live close by, so getting there is easy and convenient.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 27, 2016 11:58 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:Are you bragging or complaining?

Neither. :) Just thinking about how Costco clothing might fit into that in terms of cost and value. I actually did get a pair of slacks there, but was not crazy about them.
Next