Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Costco Food

User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Costco Food

by Suzi Bernert » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:49 pm

juan.molina wrote:I'm interested in a vacuum sealer. Does it just allow you to freeze items for longer? Gets the air out I understand but what are the big advantages

I use mine quite a bit. The bags are heavier than most freezer bags and with the air out, the food takes up less space in the freezer. I also have vacuum canisters and a marinater that I use a lot. Most meats marinate in 30 minutes or less.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:10 am

To deviate from groceries to their food court; There is a Costco by a hotel that is often used by my current and a past employer. My coworkers often rave about their hot dogs. I tried one and didn't think it was a big deal, but I am no hot dog aficionado, Thoughts from the learned? Then again, a dog and soft drink there sets you back $1.50 and people in my line of work are reputed to be cheap! :mrgreen:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:49 am

I think they are all beef hot dogs and each one weighs in at close to 1/2 pound. Personally, when I'm jonesing for a hot dog, I do like them very much. Not overly spiced or seasoned, good snap (bite) to the skin, and even better to the ones you can get at a ball park. And the the cost... :mrgreen:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:49 am

Ray Griffith wrote:Then again, a dog and soft drink there sets you back $1.50 :mrgreen:

IKEA- Hotdog and soft drink : $1.00!!
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:55 am

neal.johnson wrote:
Ray Griffith wrote:Then again, a dog and soft drink there sets you back $1.50 :mrgreen:

IKEA- Hotdog and soft drink : $1.00!!

IKEA web page touts 2 hotdogs and a soft drink for $2 . . . and, from what I remember (tho my memory isn't that great) they were standard hot dogs (10 or 12 per pound) while Costco hot dogs are over 1/4 pounders.

Still a good deal, especially if you don't like Swedish meatballs!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:05 pm

Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:04 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:http://luckypeach.com/guides/the-official-costco-food-court-power-rankings/?utm_source=newsletterAugust252016&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CostcoPowerRankings/

Review of Costco food

I love that X:Y axis for rating! :lol:
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:54 pm

I love that X:Y axis for rating!

I kinda like the X:Y graph, but then again I am a numbers guy, but in my old age I will remember those pictures long after I have forgotten his ratings!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:51 am

Jerry C wrote:... in my old age I will remember those pictures long after I have forgotten his ratings!

:lol:
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:14 am

Costco runs will be a good excuse to eat at Bodega Mi Sueno #2. I don't have a membership but my mom does, and she visits every month or two, which is about the amount of time we would need between visits. It may be time to buy a basement freezer...
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

by juan.molina » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:36 am

Iggy C wrote:t may be time to buy a basement freezer...

Costco has those :lol:

My friend said he got one there for $160, a small one.
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

by juan.molina » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:12 pm

We should meet in the food court in the morning and have a Costco opening celebration party :lol:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:18 pm

juan.molina wrote:We should meet in the food court in the morning and have a Costco opening celebration party :lol:

:lol:
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:17 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I love that X:Y axis for rating! :lol:

I do too -- I'm a big Lucky Peach fan. They do that with many of their rankings, fun to read.

Same with this thread. However, I won't be one of the visitors. I don't often buy in bulk and I'm fine with our current local options.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:02 pm

SilvioM wrote:However, I won't be one of the visitors. I don't often buy in bulk and I'm fine with our current local options.

I've been wrestling with that. We joined the East End Costco when it first opened, but didn't re-up after the first year because we just didn't use it that much. Family of two, not much need for bulk, and it wasn't that close to us. I'm thinking that the same principles apply to the new place, and it isn't really that much closer, especially since you can't get to Buechel from here because the park is in the way. :mrgreen:

I think Costco in general is okay, though. I'd shop there, but wouldn't darken the door of a Sam's Club.
PreviousNext