Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Costco Food

no avatar
User

patrick.whelan

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri May 27, 2016 2:55 pm

Re: Costco Food

by patrick.whelan » Fri May 27, 2016 3:21 pm

For about 6 months our local roastery has been stocking a fabulous Organic Honduran coffee at Costco that helps fund our foundation (http://www.safaifoundation.org) which is committed to replant 80 coffee growing farms decimated by coffee "rust" in Central and South America. More info can be found in the link provided but it is a very tasty coffee roasted by our family owned business located right here in Kentucky.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Kama K

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:52 am

by Kama K » Fri May 27, 2016 3:22 pm

As someone else previously posted, their cakes are very good. We had a pretty "price-conscious" wedding, and we served two kinds of sheet cake from Costco. It was a hit, and I had several people tell me it was the best wedding cake they had ever had and wanted to know who the baker was. They were shocked when I told them "Costco." :) ([i]And for the record, I'm a huge boutique bakery lover and a cake snob. If we had a bigger wedding budget, I would have gotten our cake from one of the many excellent bakeries here.)

I'm a fan of their rotisserie chicken ($4.99 for a HUGE chicken) and pesto. They also have salmon filets with a lemon-y butter that are great if you're looking for a "take and bake" option.

Since there are only two of us in our household for now, we don't shop there a lot (maybe once every couple of months). The portions of most of the items are just too big for us, and we don't have a ton of storage space for 100 rolls of paper towels, so we do very little of weekly shopping there. If we had kids, I'm sure we would do more shopping there.

The gas prices are excellent - usually around 15 to 20 cents lower than most gas stations.
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Fri May 27, 2016 3:29 pm

Their house brand toilet paper remains 4.5 inches wide. Just like God intended.
no avatar
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Fri May 27, 2016 4:19 pm

Humboldt Fog cheese is about $16 there whereas it's about $26 at Kroger. I like the Kirkland brand almond butter and Tassos garlic stuffed olives too. They also have Kerrygold butter and cheese.

We get organic frozen items and veggies for the kids that are cheap and easy. They have great prices on good wine. The wine alone is worth the membership for me. :mrgreen:

There is a membership option for 2% cash back and a cash back credit card as well.

Pretty much a no-brainer if you are willing to drive out there and deal with the crowd. Perhaps traffic will lessen a little with the opening of the Bardstown Rd. location.

BTW the membership aspect as well as the door check at the end greatly reduces shrinkage.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri May 27, 2016 4:41 pm

Paul S wrote: BTW the membership aspect as well as the door check at the end greatly reduces shrinkage.

I'm really not so sure about that. Most times they just give a cursory look to what you have in your cart. If you are really intent on feeling something I don't believe they would catch it (same for Sam's Club). I've actually never seen them stop somebody that didn't pay for something they have in their cart. The argument could be made that having the check provides a deterrent to people thinking about stealing but in reality people who want to steal art smart enough to think about things like that in most cases! :roll:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Fri May 27, 2016 7:42 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Paul S wrote: BTW the membership aspect as well as the door check at the end greatly reduces shrinkage.

I'm really not so sure about that. Most times they just give a cursory look to what you have in your cart. If you are really intent on feeling something I don't believe they would catch it (same for Sam's Club). I've actually never seen them stop somebody that didn't pay for something they have in their cart. The argument could be made that having the check provides a deterrent to people thinking about stealing but in reality people who want to steal art smart enough to think about things like that in most cases! :roll:

While I understand your logic, that wasn't speculation on my part. Costco is somewhat known for (and touts) its low shrinkage rate.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat May 28, 2016 7:20 am

We use their store brand EVOO for sauteing, and I've always thought their lamb is quite good.
no avatar
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Sat May 28, 2016 1:52 pm

Steaks and roasts. Prime and choice. Delicious!
Great prices on Kerry Gold butter.
We buy a big block of Tilamook cheese every other month or so, and use it for cooking and cheese and crackers.
We buy all of our toilet paper, paper towels and paper napkins from there.
We buy big things of eggs, and whipping cream from Costco.
It's a great place to buy your eyeglasses and to have your prescriptions filled. (you can fill prescriptions there even if you're not a member)
Liquor is less expensive at Costco than at other places, and their house (Kirkland) brand, is as good as many of the name brands. (such as their reposado tequila)
I get a lot of my spices from Costco.
Their cakes really are excellent, but huge. (you can always freeze some!)
A lot of my husband's dress shirts come from Costco, and I get leggings and yoga pants from their regularly.
You can get spectacular deals on plants that are three or four times the sizes you would get anywhere else.
Great deals on electronics, and also on photos and photo gifts.
(I love Costco!)
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Tue May 31, 2016 12:16 pm

Costco is great for a lot of things but for my crew it can be too much food sometimes (especially produce, but the produce is high quality). I usually get easy to make frozen items that I can extend over a long period of time (Chicken breasts, pizzas, etc). The bakery is better than decent and I bought a whole cheesecake back in February and felt like I was living ultimate luxury haha.. it was huge and I think $12 (which is a bargain). The meat dept is good too but I rarely have the need for 5 plus pounds of ground beef or 7 steaks but I use a vacuum sealer and for me that's the way to go. Portion out everything and seal it/freeze it for later.

We go for bulk stuff we can store for a while and get our produce elsewhere.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue May 31, 2016 1:42 pm

I went by on the holiday weekend and bought a huge, packaged fresh spinich salad (spinich, 2 whole hard cooked eggs, bacon crumbles, tomatoes, red onion, cranberries, 2 Demi-cups of dressing) for $9 something. It was great! Enough to make 3 very large salads. I checked the prices on organics while there and found them roughly the same price as Kroger's non-organic and a much higher quality.
Dyson vacs were there too at the same price I bought mine for roughly 8 years ago.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue May 31, 2016 1:48 pm

Carla G wrote: Dyson vacs were there too at the same price I bought mine for roughly 8 years ago.

We're the proud owners of a Costco Dyson vacuum. I feel so cosmopolitan.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue May 31, 2016 1:55 pm

TP Lowe wrote:
Carla G wrote: Dyson vacs were there too at the same price I bought mine for roughly 8 years ago.

We're the proud owners of a Costco Dyson vacuum. I feel so cosmopolitan.

You mean I've been cosmopolitan all these years and didn't even know it?! :oops: :cry:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue May 31, 2016 2:10 pm

Carla G wrote:You mean I've been cosmopolitan all these years and didn't even know it?! :oops: :cry:

You should have been telling all your friends all this time!
no avatar
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Tue May 31, 2016 11:54 pm

Love Costco. Have been a Sam's fan for years but found the quality slipping, not so with Costco. Had let our Costco membership go after the first year or so they opened but with Hubby and all his Norton Brownsboro visits I decided to rejoin, now I go about twice a month. One thing that may sound odd that we found is storage boxes the black ones with the yellow lids...about 8 bucks at Costco, saw them at Lowes last week for nearly 14 the very same boxes. And yes there is a lot of food I like to buy as well, butter and there is a whole grain bread we love made in a bakery that hires former prisoners...cannot think of the name of it but we love it :)
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:48 pm

I don't trust a company (Kirklands) then sells both prime rib and mens underwear. Gag.
PreviousNext