Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Costco Food

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Costco Food

by Carla G » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:37 am

I feel the same way Robin and only joined because I knew I had some big ticket items I would be needing to buy soon. That coupled with the guarantee Costco offers to reimburse you your membership fees if you don't save the equivalent within your first year membership made it a no lose situation for me. Since joining (and it's just me here) I've saved on buying organics for freezing, parties, or preserving. Also their spinach salads while not organic, are quite tasty and 1 will last me in the fridge for 3 days. I've stocked up on non-perishables, bought the big ticket stuff I needed, so whether or not I renew the membership is still iffy.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:47 am

Carla G wrote: the guarantee Costco offers to reimburse you your membership fees if you don't save the equivalent within your first year membership made it a no lose situation for me.

Good point, Carla! For us it was really mostly that we just don't often get out that far in that particular direction. :)
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:08 pm

I would surely shop there sometimes if I didn't have to be a member. It seems like, to make it worth the money, you have to go all-in and give up your other places. I still like TJs, sometimes Whole and Paul's, Old Town, and the farmer's markets. Kroger is conveniently close. It would be tough to give up that ecosystem.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:28 pm

SilvioM wrote:I would surely shop there sometimes if I didn't have to be a member. It seems like, to make it worth the money, you have to go all-in and give up your other places. I still like TJs, sometimes Whole and Paul's, Old Town, and the farmer's markets. Kroger is conveniently close. It would be tough to give up that ecosystem.

This, plus Lotsa Pasta, Rainbow Blossom and The Wine Rack. :)
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:04 pm

If you are a fan of Kirkland brands found at Costco I understand you can sometimes order them on line via Jet.Com and their shipping is free. I've never done it but some friends are big fans of the site.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:31 pm

After testing my patience by maneuvering through the madhouse for an hour this morning, I got to the lines to check-out only to find that my MasterCards and Discover were useless because Costco only accepts Visa. We dumped our basket and left, so thrilled with our wasted morning. I guess I'll look into getting a refund back on my membership fee. :evil:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:44 pm

Alanna H wrote: my MasterCards and Discover were useless because Costco only accepts Visa.

Seriously? That's insane! :twisted:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:47 pm

Hmm, it gets even more crazy. For years they accepted only American Express. The switch to Visa occurred this year, amid wailing and gnashing of teeth.
http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card- ... y-1433.php

That and the "We think our customers are all crooks" inspection at the exit are now two reasons why I'm not excited about Costco. It's a shame, though. Politically, I would instinctively prefer them to Sam's Club. But I have a short fuse when it comes to intentional incompetence.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:28 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Hmm, it gets even more crazy. For years they accepted only American Express. The switch to Visa occurred this year, amid wailing and gnashing of teeth.
http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card- ... y-1433.php

That and the "We think our customers are all crooks" inspection at the exit are now two reasons why I'm not excited about Costco. It's a shame, though. Politically, I would instinctively prefer them to Sam's Club. But I have a short fuse when it comes to intentional incompetence.

Remember, they are a "wholesale club." In essence,one thing they sell is transaction services; if you sign up with them to use their clearing services for your business, they can save you a lot of money, but you are required to use their clearing banking system (formerly American Express; now VISA). In other words, the use of only one card traces back to their corporate clearing business. You can always use cash or debit cards!
Andrew Mellman
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:25 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Alanna H wrote: my MasterCards and Discover were useless because Costco only accepts Visa.

Seriously? That's insane! :twisted:

Not really. They are able to pit the various card services against one another and by doing so get a lower cost by using one only. Also there is a Costco visa credit card that is advantageous to have especially if you do a lot of shopping at Costco.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:49 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:Remember, they are a "wholesale club." In essence,one thing they sell is transaction services; if you sign up with them to use their clearing services for your business, they can save you a lot of money, but you are required to use their clearing banking system (formerly American Express; now VISA). In other words, the use of only one card traces back to their corporate clearing business. You can always use cash or debit cards!

I understand that from a theoretical standpoint, Andrew, but it's not customer-friendly, and that's ultimately a fail in a consumer business. Their priorities are askew.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:50 am

Steve Shade wrote:Not really. They are able to pit the various card services against one another and by doing so get a lower cost by using one only. Also there is a Costco visa credit card that is advantageous to have especially if you do a lot of shopping at Costco.

It still seems like a good way to drive away business, as Alanna's response suggests. It just doesn't seem like a good business practice for a consumer business to behave in an anti-consumer way in the pursuit of a short-term gain.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:26 am

Using the Costco credit card at Costco is no big deal. It's unfortunate that they signed up Alanna without those restrictions being made clear. Perhaps that was part of the organized chaos of opening a new store?

I do understand that requiring their own credit card and and the exit cart check can be offputting. And I can see where some folks would not wish to endure it. But apparently there's a good sized market for their services and products.

It seems that Costco earns praises for their employee pay and benefits. The funds to do this have to come from somewhere. In my mind, they have earned praises for building a new store at a backfill site in a struggling, and dare I say, minority neighborhood. These are good jobs for the locals there, within walking distance for many.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:09 am

Steve H wrote:It seems that Costco earns praises for their employee pay and benefits. The funds to do this have to come from somewhere. In my mind, they have earned praises for building a new store at a backfill site in a struggling, and dare I say, minority neighborhood. These are good jobs for the locals there, within walking distance for many.

Okay, I agree with all that. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

by juan.molina » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:34 pm

Last edited by juan.molina on Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext