Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

Re: CJ: 3 1/2 stars for Finn's Southern Kitchen

by Steve Eslinger » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:44 am

What's that old saw about Louisville being the only city to secede after the Civil War? There's certainly some truth to that because the city did see an influx of former confederate officers, as well as other southern, ahem, "aristocracy," who were fleeing the economic devastation in their home states. Seems Louisville was one of the more promising locales for economic opportunity south of the Ohio. I recall reading an article that these individuals gained considerable influence in the decades immediately following the war, basically running city government for a generation. I've also seen speculation that their leadership was one of the reasons Louisville did not keep up with its regional peers, such as Indy, Cincy, and St. Louis even though pre-war it was larger and had a more vibrant economy than any of them.
That aside, I agree with the thought that Louisville is basically a fusion of southern and mid-western influences.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:41 pm

"Seceding after the Civil War ended" is a good point. Despite contributing far more soldiers to the Union side, Kentucky has far more Confederate monuments than Union ones. That is a factor. Accents here are generally Southern-sounding, that has to account for a lot of the reason outsiders see it as a Southern city. I would strongly say that the elites feel Southern to me. But overall, speaking as a Nashvillian with roots in Birmingham, I would describe Louisville as a mix, leaning a bit towards Midwestern. It is kind of an odd duck. River commerce and culture plus cavalier bluegrass tobacco/horse influence plus Appalachians plus Germans and Catholicism have made it closer culturally to Cincinnati than to any Southern city like Nashville or Memphis -- at least that's how it feels to me.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:44 pm

There is also a certain element of carnivalesque riverine lawlessness that (along with the shotgun houses) feels a bit like like New Orleans at times. That is the Southern city it reminds me most of.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:27 pm

I've found when talking to in-laws in Great Britan that we often have to distinguish Louisville from the rest of Kentucky. Maybe it's because it's a river town, maybe because it's a healthcare hub, I really don't know. It's just differently aligned than anywhere else in the state.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:49 pm

Iggy C wrote:There is also a certain element of carnivalesque riverine lawlessness that (along with the shotgun houses) feels a bit like like New Orleans at times. That is the Southern city it reminds me most of.

That's legit, because of the river trade connection. There's a good taste of New Orleans in Louisville thanks to historic connection. But NOLA is probably the least "Southern" city in the South. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:39 pm

The religious component is a good comparison too. I grew up in Middle Georgia and the Baptist and Presbyterian churches in the middle of town where HUGE, old school southern churches and the Catholic Church? Not kidding it was on the outskirts of town down a gravel road tucked away in the forest. I moved here and you could tell the Catholic influence immediately.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:20 pm

Adam C wrote:The religious component is a good comparison too. I grew up in Middle Georgia and the Baptist and Presbyterian churches in the middle of town where HUGE, old school southern churches and the Catholic Church? Not kidding it was on the outskirts of town down a gravel road tucked away in the forest. I moved here and you could tell the Catholic influence immediately.

I've heard, and it makes sense, that Louisville is one of the only cities with roughly equal large numbers of Catholics and Southern Baptists. Usually one dominates and the other is a relative minority. (Of course the Episcopalians have been here from the very start, but we don't have the numbers. ;) )
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:43 pm

Louisville is not a mid western city.
Louisville is not a southern city.

Louisville is LOUISVILLE.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:44 am

Steve Shade wrote:Louisville is not a mid western city.
Louisville is not a southern city.

Louisville is LOUISVILLE.

Louisville is the place that, wherever you're from, it ain't that.
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:03 pm

Bringing this back around to the original topic: I'm digging the place. Went twice last week. For dinner I had the fried chicken and greens, and they were both delicious. The chicken was nicely seasoned, piping hot, and perfectly cooked (virtually no grease). My only very slight niggle would be that the greens were a little salty. Not overly so, but just a tad. The wife and I went for brunch Sunday and both of our meals were a resounding success. They're not kidding with that ultimate chicken biscuit. Apparently, they've worked out the kinks with their sausage gravy because it was great, as was every other element of the sandwich. I also had the cheese grits and they were honestly as good as I've ever had. I've never been a huge fan of grits, so they have to be really cheesy and tasty for me to enjoy them. I enjoyed them, a lot. My wife's breakfast platter was also a hit. Tip: Either buy the cinnamon toast as a starter, or upcharge it with the platter because it shouldn't be missed. The brioche they use is fantastic.
A word about the space: A+ in my book. Very bright, open and well-laid out. Additionally, despite the abundance of hard surfaces, noise hasn't been an issue on either visit. Nice, large beer-gardenesque tables outside as well.
Finally, service has been pitch-perfect. Friendly and super-efficient. It seems like a very well-run operation. I have a feeling they have already earned a prime spot in our rotation.
Previous