Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Middletown Joella's opens, free year-O-chix for first 100

by Robin Garr » Tue May 24, 2016 4:00 pm

JOELLA’S HOT CHICKEN’S MIDDLETOWN GRAND OPENING JUNE 1st
First 100 People in Line Win Free Hot Chicken for a Year

Joella’s Hot Chicken will open a second Louisville area restaurant June 1st at 13401 Shelbyville Road, Suite 101. To celebrate the opening of its fourth restaurant, Joella’s will be giving away more than $60,000 in free chicken meals to the first 100 adults in line.

A one-year supply of free Joella’s Hot Chicken (52 coupons) will be awarded to each of the first 100 adults, age 18 years and older with identification. The line can begin forming up to 24 hours prior to the restaurant’s opening, with prizes being given away on Wednesday, June 1st between 8 a.m. and 8:30 am. Guests waiting in line will be treated to complimentary hot chicken samples and free Joella’s apparel items.

Joella’s will be hiring up to 35 employees in the area, and is hosting a job fair open house at the Middletown restaurant, Monday, May 23 through Sunday, May 29 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

Re: Middletown Joella's opens, free year-O-chix for first 10

by Mike Hardin » Tue May 24, 2016 4:56 pm

I must be the only person in Louisville who thinks all of these "hot chicken" places are overrated and expensive. I've been to Joella's a few times and Royals once and it's just ok, the staff seems like they don't care if I'm there or not and $3 for an Ale-8-one? That seems steep.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue May 24, 2016 8:08 pm

This is an insane promotion. I hope they have a lot of chicken prepped. This will be crazy to see. Can we get a reporter on the scene for this?

Well played, Joella.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Wed May 25, 2016 9:07 am

Mike Hardin wrote:I must be the only person in Louisville who thinks all of these "hot chicken" places are overrated and expensive.

You're not.
no avatar
User

Scott S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:32 am

by Scott S » Wed May 25, 2016 9:25 am

Mike Hardin wrote:I must be the only person in Louisville who thinks all of these "hot chicken" places are overrated and expensive. I've been to Joella's a few times and Royals once and it's just ok, the staff seems like they don't care if I'm there or not and $3 for an Ale-8-one? That seems steep.

Surely you are not, but I'm a big fan of both, and I'm actually pretty pleased with the price point for what you get. About $9 for three tenders and two sides is on par with or better than most fast casual places. I won't argue the soft drink prices, but I generally drink beer or water whenever I eat out. All soft drinks are waste of money (and calories) IMHO.
no avatar
User

travis.davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:44 pm

by travis.davis » Wed May 25, 2016 9:28 am

Boylan's Red Birch Beer is what all soda's dream they will grow up to be. Well worth any money I spend on it.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu May 26, 2016 1:40 pm

Mike Hardin wrote:I must be the only person in Louisville who thinks all of these "hot chicken" places are overrated

You certainly aren't. We've tried both local places also and are far from impressed. I actually wish that they had left the pizza shop in the Middletown common location instead of changing over to this. I have to believe that the line is going to be huge for people trying to get this perk!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Thu May 26, 2016 1:50 pm

People do realize that this "free chicken for a year" thing is used by Chick-fil-A every time they open a new store? Good promotion, but hardly imaginative.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 26, 2016 1:52 pm

Just for the record, I like Joella's and I like Royal's. Maybe I'm just easy, but hey.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Thu May 26, 2016 2:07 pm

Forget the chicken, can we talk about Royal's fried sweet potato and marshmallow pie? Pretty sure I felt the earth move when I tried it!!!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu May 26, 2016 2:10 pm

Alanna H wrote:Forget the chicken, can we talk about Royal's fried sweet potato and marshmallow pie? Pretty sure I felt the earth move when I tried it!!!

I gotta get some of that pie. 8)
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu May 26, 2016 2:27 pm

I am a native Nashvillian who really likes hot chicken... that said, I only eat it 2-3 times a year since the extra-hot makes my stomach hurt. It does surprise me how many hot chicken places are popping up. I can't imagine eating it regularly the way people do pizza, hamburgers, or tacos. Royals does have good sides, maybe I just need to branch out on the menu beyond hot chicken.