Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Homemade IC&PK closing Clifton shop

by Robin Garr » Mon May 23, 2016 8:34 am

Apparently the Homemade Ice Cream & Pie Kitchen folks finally realized that opening a store across the street from a Comfy Cow wasn't the greatest idea ...

Business First wrote:Homemade Ice Cream & Pie Kitchen plans to close one store and open another on Dixie Highway.

The company announced on its Facebook page that it is selling its building at 2232 Frankfort Ave. and moving the store to Dixie Highway. It did not say where on Dixie Highway the new store would be located.

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/b ... j=73423172
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

Re: Homemade IC&PK closing Clifton shop

by Gary Guss » Mon May 23, 2016 8:57 am

Glad they are coming to Dixie Highway, people from the Southend actually have enough money now that they are able to buy ice cream without getting a co-signer. Businesses need to be waking up a bit.
Someone needs to kick Graeters in the head and get them to open a franchise out here in good old Beechmont.. there's that 723 acre park here with a scenic parkway leading to it and a bunch of walkers, runners, and cyclists that would patronize it.
no avatar
User

Adam B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 27, 2008 8:26 am

by Adam B » Mon May 23, 2016 3:48 pm

Robin I find your comment disappointing, it appears you are reveling in our closure.

In case you missed it, we had an extremely attractive offer at the height of the market for our property. We choose to pursue that and move our store to Dixie Hwy which has been asking us to move there for years.

We are a great local business, that employees a large diversified staff. You have attempted to diminish our value for the past few years and yet we continue to succeed. This has nothing to do with, as you stated, "wasn't the greatest idea" or any competition. Why would you even make such a statement, what is your objective? For you to insinuate that speaks of your character.

We wish well all of the businesses on the Frankfort Ave corridor and hope they all succeed for the benefits of the community. I hope you support the others in a different way than you did us.

Robin Garr wrote:Apparently the Homemade Ice Cream & Pie Kitchen folks finally realized that opening a store across the street from a Comfy Cow wasn't the greatest idea ...

Business First wrote:Homemade Ice Cream & Pie Kitchen plans to close one store and open another on Dixie Highway.

The company announced on its Facebook page that it is selling its building at 2232 Frankfort Ave. and moving the store to Dixie Highway. It did not say where on Dixie Highway the new store would be located.

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/b ... j=73423172
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 23, 2016 4:02 pm

Adam B wrote:Robin I find your comment disappointing, it appears you are reveling in our closure.

Not at all, Adam. Merely stating the obvious. Homemade opened across the street from Comfy Cow, a move that seemed very odd at the time. Now it's closing. Everyone is free to connect the dots in his or her own way, but that's a far cry from "reveling."

As it has been written, "The guilty flee where none pursueth."
no avatar
User

Adam B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 27, 2008 8:26 am

by Adam B » Mon May 23, 2016 4:36 pm

There is no obvious and there are no dots to connect, for you to imply such is deplorable. We profited from the sale of our building and are simply moving to a new location on Dixie Hwy., an area that has asked us for years to move there.

What would happen if businesses of similar nature would not open near one another? We would have no Frankfort Ave. filled with restaurants. We would not have a Bardstown Road with boutiques, bars or restaurants. We would not have ice cream shops across from each other on Bardstown Road and Eastern Parkway.

Your denial does not remove the perception, I see no good will in your comments. It is sad our community has a person who claims to support local, though posts comments in the way that you do.

I have every intent to defend my business and employees, some of over 28 years continual employment, from comments such as yours. This is their life and they deserve respect. We have contributed to our community for 34 years, we are a positive and significant part of our local community and deserve better.

Again I ask what is your objective? For you to say "The guilty flee where none pursueth." has all of the ear markings of ill intent.

Robin Garr wrote:
Adam B wrote:Robin I find your comment disappointing, it appears you are reveling in our closure.

Not at all, Adam. Merely stating the obvious. Homemade opened across the street from Comfy Cow, a move that seemed very odd at the time. Now it's closing. Everyone is free to connect the dots in his or her own way, but that's a far cry from "reveling."

As it has been written, "The guilty flee where none pursueth."
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon May 23, 2016 6:03 pm

Homemade Ice Cream and Pie Kitchen is one of the pride and joys of Louisville. Anyone who has spent any time here knows, respects, and appreciates its role in keeping Louisville weird and satisfied.

As for Robin, the guy deserves a big "Robin's Louisville" poster someday on the tallest building somewhere within the Watterson beltway with him wearing a napkin around his neck and brandishing a huge turkey drumstick. The guy's a classic whose assets far exceed any querkiness.

Adam, you don't need to defend your case any further. Anyone who would be blessed enough to oversee such a successful enterprise as HIC & PK would feel pretty darn good about their accomplishment.

Kudos to Adam and Robin. You guys both rock our ville's food scene in your own unique ways.
James J. Natsis
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon May 23, 2016 6:05 pm

Robin, in this case I really have to take the nature of your comments in the same vein that Adam did. It definitely appears that you are a huge supporter of the Comfy Cow and glad to see HIC&PK move elsewhere! I don't see any other way to take your comments.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Mon May 23, 2016 6:13 pm

If anyone wishes to see where this argument started, all you need to do is search the archives. This is old news.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon May 23, 2016 7:24 pm

I love HPK and I love Comfy Cow. Both sell ice cream, which I also love and both do so at a high level. Having established that...

"we are so incredibly successful and profitable in our existing location that we decided to sell it and move across town" said no one ever. :idea:

The upshot of all of this is that Dixie Hwy will FINALLY get more local presence and some really great sweet eats!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Mon May 23, 2016 7:44 pm

Adam B wrote:What would happen if businesses of similar nature would not open near one another? We would have no Frankfort Ave. filled with restaurants. We would not have a Bardstown Road with boutiques, bars or restaurants. We would not have ice cream shops across from each other on Bardstown Road and Eastern Parkway.

This pretty much summarizes my thoughts when I heard people strangely start complaining about HIC&PK and CC opening near one another.

We take the kids to Homemade in Prospect occasionally. My son really likes the coconut ice cream.

Their website states:
-We fresh churn all of our ice cream with milk from Kentucky and Indiana grass fed cows.
-We use fresh cream that has a 40% butterfat, the highest amount available in a cream, churned specifically for us by our local dairy.

Seems like a decent option to me.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 23, 2016 8:39 pm

Adam B wrote:Your denial does not remove the perception, I see no good will in your comments.

Adam, I'm sorry, but there is nothing there but the obvious. If you want to talk about my perception, it appears that you're coming back for another round in the hope of making some kind of a point through loud repetition. That's really not necessary.

Again I ask what is your objective?

Again, only to express opinions on the local dining scene. When Comfy Cow opened its Clifton shop on the remains of the old Genny's, Homemade turned up right across the street in what appeared to be a competitive response, or at keast a very unusual coincidence. I thought then, and I believe now, that it's fair to bring this up for discussion. You've responded. That's great.

Now you're closing the shop and opening one on Dixie. That's fair, too. Best wishes to you on your new venture. Still, the interesting reality of the face-to-face ice cream shops remains, and for whatever reason - it really doesn't matter - HIC&PK is leaving.

For you to say "The guilty flee where none pursueth." has all of the ear markings of ill intent.

Quite the contrary. It simply points out that you are responding with surprising defensiveness to my simple statement that the ice cream shop that set up across the street from its perceived competitor is now moving on. Where's the malice in that? It's demonstrably true.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 23, 2016 8:40 pm

Steve H wrote:If anyone wishes to see where this argument started, all you need to do is search the archives. This is old news.

There's new news, Steve: HIC&PK is closing the Clifton store. Hat tip to Business First for getting the report.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 23, 2016 8:43 pm

Mark R. wrote:Robin, in this case I really have to take the nature of your comments in the same vein that Adam did. It definitely appears that you are a huge supporter of the Comfy Cow and glad to see HIC&PK move elsewhere! I don't see any other way to take your comments.

I think Adam achieved his objective here, Mark. By responding to my post of the Business First story as if he had been attacked, he's managed to give you an impression of "where there's smoke there must be fire." There's not.

People were interested when he opened up across Frankfort after Comfy Cow came in. It seems fair to report the end of that story. It was routine until Adam started complaining.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue May 24, 2016 7:54 am

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 24, 2016 8:23 am

What's your point, Steve? I stand by all that. But you said "no news here," where in fact there was news.

What IS your point? Stirring the pot? Feel free to spell it out.
Next