Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Cooked

no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

Cooked

by juan.molina » Thu May 19, 2016 12:07 pm

Anyone watched the Cooked series on Netflix? I've watched the first two episodes and it's pretty good.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... ement.html
Food writer Michael Pollan talks about taking his message to the masses in the new Netflix documentary series Cooked. Plus watch an exclusive clip that throws cold water on the gluten-free movement.
Michael Pollan has written a half dozen best-selling books about food, but most people probably recognize him as the guy who has spent years warning against the dangers of factory farming on shows like Real Time with Bill Maher, The Colbert Report and the influential 2008 documentary Food Inc.
“Books can only reach so many people,” Pollan admits in a conversation with The Daily Beast. “I am on a mission to change the way we eat. So I want to reach as many people as I can and meet people where they are.”
That’s why he decided to translate his latest book, Cooked, into a documentary series for Netflix. Like the book, the new show is split into four sections—“Fire,” “Water,” “Air” and “Earth”—with each theme used to tell the history of human cooking and look ahead at the end of a dangerous trend in which fewer and fewer people are making food for themselves.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Cooked

by Carla G » Thu May 19, 2016 1:57 pm

Added it to my favorite list.
Thanks for the heads up!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Fri May 20, 2016 9:53 am

Pollan made an interesting claim on the show, that properly fermented sourdough bread has everything a person needs to sustain life indefinitely, including vitamins and protein. Not that I would want to try it, but that seemed a little far-fetched to me. Maybe I am misremembering the assertion and am exaggerating it, though.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun May 22, 2016 7:19 pm

Really interesting series.
Thanks for the recommendation Juan.
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Wed May 25, 2016 3:12 pm

The episode on baking was great and made me want to sit and bake bread all day. Made me feel good about being able to bake as it mentioned the importance of bakers back when. Good show
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Wed May 25, 2016 5:04 pm

Adam C wrote:The episode on baking was great and made me want to sit and bake bread all day. Made me feel good about being able to bake as it mentioned the importance of bakers back when. Good show

Me too! So I got my stuff together and assembled the flour, water yeast, stood there in front of the bread machine and thought, "the magic has been lost somewhere."
Sigh
:oops: :roll:
no avatar
User

Susan Mann

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:53 pm

by Susan Mann » Sun May 29, 2016 8:45 am

Learned lots from "Cooked" and was fascinated by it cultural/historic depth. It's entirely different, of course, but am enjoying season 2 of CHEF'S TABLE. A few of the chefs' perspectives may be too precious--from my point of view--but overall interesting focus on how a chef's personal and geographic background influences his or her cuisine.