Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Mixed meal yields 3 CJ stars for Proof ...

by Robin Garr » Thu May 19, 2016 7:14 am

Go, read it, and then tell us what you think. I'm honestly not sure what I would have done, so I'll try to keep my mouth shut while I wait. :)

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /83613382/
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: Mixed meal yields 3 CJ stars for Proof ...

by Mike D » Thu May 19, 2016 8:58 am

That is one of the more "interesting" (I'm trying to be nice here) reviews that I have ever read. I really don't know what to say. Do they actually pay her to write this stuff?

Robin, reviews like this make me appreciate your work even more. (By the way, I'm off to The Hub this evening for those nachos.)
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

by DanB » Thu May 19, 2016 9:15 am

As someone mentioned in the comments... she describes the pop tart as forming a brown, goopy mess on her plate. But the photo taken by a CJ photog shows a literally perfect looking dish, quite the opposite of what she describes.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Thu May 19, 2016 9:42 am

I have sometimes bumped up against what I've considered a negative overreation to her reviews -- at least regarding the food, if not the writing style. So I can skip over the "haughty pot", roll my eyes, and not get worked up over it. But if the food was so bad that she was really, reallly about to leave until she got free cotton candy (cotton candy?!?), then, wow. And three stars, no less. It reads like a parody of a Nancy Miller review.

That said, I don't know if I'm more put off by the review or the fact that Proof now serves pop tarts and cotton candy.
Last edited by SilvioM on Thu May 19, 2016 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 19, 2016 9:44 am

SilvioM wrote:That said, I don't know if I'm more put off by the review or the fact that Proof now serves pop tarts and cotton candy.

I believe you have successfully cut to the chase. :mrgreen:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 19, 2016 11:45 am

DanB wrote:As someone mentioned in the comments... she describes the pop tart as forming a brown, goopy mess on her plate. But the photo taken by a CJ photog shows a literally perfect looking dish, quite the opposite of what she describes.

Now, this is an interesting point. I got yelled at once by a chef I admire, because the picture of a dish that ran with my column wasn't prettily plated and had fallen apart when the server got it to the table.

But that's why I like to take my own food photos if it's practical. I'd rather have the review illustrate what I got in the actual stream of events while I was at dinner. It seems to me that having a photographer come back later and do a studio photo of a carefully constructed sample dish doesn't really do the dining public as much of a service. I'm sure the restaurateurs prefer it, though. ;)
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu May 19, 2016 2:07 pm

Her writing reminds me of a bumper sticker I once saw..
"Suc*s syntax "
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Thu May 19, 2016 3:53 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
DanB wrote:As someone mentioned in the comments... she describes the pop tart as forming a brown, goopy mess on her plate. But the photo taken by a CJ photog shows a literally perfect looking dish, quite the opposite of what she describes.

But that's why I like to take my own food photos if it's practical. I'd rather have the review illustrate what I got in the actual stream of events while I was at dinner. ;)

Robin, in my opinion those are the only photos I want to see. Let me see what I'm going to get if I order it, not something set up for a photo shoot and/or styled by a food stylist.

In my meat-eating days I used to frequent both Subway and (blush) Burger King for lunch. Nothing that I got looked anything like what I saw (and continue to see today) in their TV and print advertising.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 19, 2016 4:18 pm

Mike D wrote:In my meat-eating days I used to frequent both Subway and (blush) Burger King for lunch. Nothing that I got looked anything like what I saw (and continue to see today) in their TV and print advertising.

Somewhere on the Internet there's a funny page that compares the ad and the reality side-by-side. :lol:

Here you go, this is awesome ...
https://www.buzzfeed.com/christianzamor ... .ct0xap3lG
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu May 19, 2016 4:51 pm

Cool! I should do that with my wedding pictures!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 19, 2016 5:06 pm

Carla G wrote:Cool! I should do that with my wedding pictures!

:mrgreen: :lol: :shock:
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Sat May 21, 2016 2:39 pm

The poptarts are homemade and delicious. The cotton candy is a whimsical thank you from the staff. Under chef Wajad's helm, I have had some truly amazing meals there. Love it.
Will Crawford
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 21, 2016 5:24 pm

Will Crawford wrote:The poptarts are homemade and delicious. The cotton candy is a whimsical thank you from the staff. Under chef Wajad's helm, I have had some truly amazing meals there. Love it.

Okay, that's fair. So you do you relate that to the review? Or the pop tart in the picture that doesn't seem to match the pop tart in the description? ;)
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Sun May 22, 2016 10:17 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Will Crawford wrote:The poptarts are homemade and delicious. The cotton candy is a whimsical thank you from the staff. Under chef Wajad's helm, I have had some truly amazing meals there. Love it.

Okay, that's fair. So you do you relate that to the review? Or the pop tart in the picture that doesn't seem to match the pop tart in the description? ;)

The two times I've had it, it looked like the picture. Maybe she had a bad batch or she was looking out for a mother breast feeding and got distracted.
Will Crawford
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun May 22, 2016 1:01 pm

Will Crawford wrote:The two times I've had it, it looked like the picture. Maybe she had a bad batch or she was looking out for a mother breast feeding and got distracted.

Maybe someone in the kitchen recognized her and made her something "special"? :mrgreen: