Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Bristol forced out of Prospect shop as lease expires

by Robin Garr » Wed May 18, 2016 10:09 am

Good work by Business First here ...

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/n ... j=73305122
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: Bristol forced out of Prospect shop as lease expires

by Doogy R » Fri May 20, 2016 10:25 pm

Normally I like Kroger. They try to locally source stuff. I've seen murals painted in many locations by local artists. THIS, I do NOT like. Shoving out a local institution. So VERY wrong. I am actually in tight with a butcher at the Brownsboro location right by the Snyder. I will continue to shop there but I will make my displeasure known about the loss of this Bristol location.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri May 20, 2016 11:06 pm

They "pushed" the Great Wall out of the Dirty Kroger strip as well, but that's ok because now they are just down the hill from my house and they have a much nicer/bigger spot. It's lemons and lemonade.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Jason H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:01 pm

by Jason H » Fri May 20, 2016 11:49 pm

I am not sure where Kroger has ever tried to locally source stuff. Maybe on occasion, but Kroger is a sub par chain. Just a stepup from Wal-Mart. Honestly Kroger is on a mission to buy out every competitor. Right now they are trying to buy The Fresh Market. They are the worlds biggest grocer (not counting ones that are mega stores like wal-mart, fred meyer, or meijers). It's common sense they want to expand the size of their store at that location. They have been increasing the size of all Louisville area locations. I never go outside the Watterson unless leaving town, but I will say I love the Bristol. Based on the article they don't seemed to bothered by it. It is what it is. Louisville is going more of the way of corporate chains the past year anyways.
no avatar
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Sat May 21, 2016 10:38 am

I know Kroger doesn't have a very good reputation as lessor of that particular strip, but perhaps we shouldn't bash them without seeing what the final result is.

From the article:

Kroger said in a statement that it has other offers.

"The current tenant’s lease is expiring this month and their offers for a new lease were simply too far below market rate," the statement said. "Another local restaurateur quickly expressed interest in this desirable location. Kroger’s leasing agents reached what they believe is the best long-term decision for this space. We look forward to welcoming the new tenant soon. They will be an exciting addition to the center."

A spokesman for Kroger said the new restaurant could not be announced yet, but there could be more information soon.

I've been very underwhelmed by Bristol in recent years. I wonder what "local restaurateur" will be taking that spot.
Last edited by Paul S on Sat May 21, 2016 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat May 21, 2016 10:40 am

Jason H wrote: It's common sense they want to expand the size of their store at that location..

Nope. It's a huge "L" shaped center, with Kroger in the middle of the long side and the Bristol at the tip of the short side. Unless Kroger is testing a new restaurant concept, that wouldn't make sense there. Also, Prospect is one of the 2-3 largest stores in the region already.

I think it more likely that the management company that runs the center for them got an offer from an outside group that is higher than they felt the Bristol could afford to pay, and Kroger isn't going to overrule their realestate management company.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Sat May 21, 2016 12:05 pm

From what I've heard from folks at the Bristol, Kroger's made the decision to bring in a new restaurant, and they would not even listen to offers from the Bristol. They were completely unwilling to entertain any negotiations at all.

That Bristol really was a staple for Prospect. I hope they are able to find a new location in the area, as the choices out there are pretty slim, and the Bristol was always consistent.
Jessica Haskell
Owner
Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe
http://www.sweetsurrenderdessertcafe.com
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 21, 2016 12:51 pm

Jessica H wrote:From what I've heard from folks at the Bristol, Kroger's made the decision to bring in a new restaurant, and they would not even listen to offers from the Bristol. They were completely unwilling to entertain any negotiations at all.

That was the "chatter" that prompted me to frame the issue the way I did. Thanks, Jessica.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sat May 21, 2016 2:40 pm

Really? A business that's out to make a profit turns down an offer that's better than the one from the new business, simply because they have it in for the Bristol? I'm not buying that one at all. I think Andrew's theory is much more plausible.

No slam on the Bristol, but I do have to snicker a bit at some of my Facebook friends who regularly post about how the government is interfering with property rights, but are completely willing to attack a business because of what they're doing with their property.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 21, 2016 5:23 pm

I guess my point of view is that property rights have value, but in a just world business is ideally done in fairness and grace. It's legal to be hard-nosed and even vicious in business dealings, but this might label you as a person it's best to avoid doing business with.
no avatar
User

Eric Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:23 pm

by Eric Hall » Sat May 21, 2016 6:40 pm

Kroger has a long history of controlling leases and not renewing tenants in the plazas they occupy. They probably own most of the buildings they are in nowadays. Look at all the super Krogers, multiple tenants were removed from each of those locations.
no avatar
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Goshen

by Paul S » Sun May 22, 2016 11:05 am

I heard that Kroger may be working on a deal with a local Mexican chain. I'm not sure whether that's final though.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun May 22, 2016 12:20 pm

Paul S wrote:I heard that Kroger may be working on a deal with a local Mexican chain. I'm not sure whether that's final though.

That doesn't seem like something that would fly in Prospect. It certainly seems like the Bristol that would be a better fit there. I also find it hard to believe that any of the local Mexican chains would be willing to pay a higher rent than the Bristol does. Unless of course the owners of the Bristol are cheapskates.

Maybe, Fernando is going to open a new Mexican place?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Goshen

by Paul S » Sat May 28, 2016 7:18 am

Mark, my first thought when Kroger said they had a new tenant in mind was Fernando too... perhaps wishful thinking on my part. The person I talked to was under the impression it may be a local restaurant chain along the lines of Gustavo's or something similar.

Seems that Kroger and Bristol have differing accounts of how negotiations went down. Either Bristol was trying to downplay the desirability of the location to keep the lease low, or Kroger is just flat out lying. Here's a new article with a short update I just read:

https://insiderlouisville.com/business/tcb20160527/
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:47 pm

Gustavo's
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
Next