Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

D’Artagnan Japanese Wagyu Boneless Ribeye

by juan.molina » Mon May 16, 2016 1:25 pm

If we could get 11 folks to go in on this we could each have a 16oz steak for $136.37. Who would want to do the cooking?

Your Price$1,499.99
Features: Authentic Japanese Wagyu Beef, A-5 Graded, Ships Fresh Not Frozen, 11 lbs minimum weight, $136.37 per pound, Product of Japan

Description from website:
This is the real deal: exceedingly rare Wagyu beef from Japan. More specifically, it is the Kuroge breed of Wagyu and is A-5 grade; literally the top grade of Japanese beef available in the world. There is a limited supply of this extremely rare beef secured exclusively for Costco members!

It is legendary stuff: beef marbled beyond belief, intensely satisfying and graded A-5, the highest possible ranking in the strict Japanese scoring system. There is nothing that can touch this beef for flavor and tenderness.

The Kuroge breed cattle are humanely-raised on grass when young and then finished in the traditional Japanese fashion: with incremental amounts of grain that build on the breed’s natural propensity to exquisite and abundant marbling. A stress-free environment and massage for muscle stimulation are all part of the pampering that the cattle receive.

Strict protocols from birth to export ensure beef of unsurpassed quality. The unique Japanese BMS scoring system judges beef on several criteria, and guarantees that the highest standards are met with each piece of beef.

This is beef like you’ve never had it. Only the finest restaurants ever get Wagyu beef of this quality. A luxurious and memorable experience will be yours with this ribeye that weighs a minimum of 11 lbs and ships fresh.

Cooking tips:
Whatever you do, never overcook this Wagyu beef, or you will render out the precious fat. Cut into steaks and sear on high heat for a short time only. Season simply with salt and pepper to allow the extraordinary flavor to shine.
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: D’Artagnan Japanese Wagyu Boneless Ribeye

by juan.molina » Mon May 16, 2016 1:40 pm

BTW, this is from Costco online.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 16, 2016 2:45 pm

juan.molina wrote:If we could get 11 folks to go in on this we could each have a 16oz steak for $136.37. Who would want to do the cooking?

Great idea! But if we could get 110 folks to go in, we could all have a bite for $13.67! :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

by juan.molina » Mon May 16, 2016 3:16 pm

How about an 8oz portion for $68.19? That's not too bad and a decent size steak.
no avatar
User

Doug A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:47 pm

Highlands

by Doug A » Mon May 16, 2016 3:22 pm

Got the following in an e-mail from Varanese last Friday if you are interested in Japanese A-5 Wagyu strip loin :

Make your reservations now to experience Japanese A-5 Wagyu beef, available only at Varanese for a limited time.

This entrée special features the Japanese A-5 Wagyu strip loin served with crispy gnocchi in a lobster and black summer truffle cream sauce with olive oil poached baby heirloom carrots, and sautéed morel mushrooms.

Enjoy this incredible gourmet meal for only $100 per person plus tax & gratuity, only at Varanese. Call (502) 899-9904 or click the following link: http://varanese.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=118a8b1a61945abad2b957949&id=27da42240c&e=53e3b1f801 to make your reservations.

There is an image in the e-mail that is a statement of authenticity. Looks like the real deal to me. Has a URL to the Japanese Carcass Verification Bureau at: http://www.id.nlbc.go.jp/top.html where you would input 1343171051 into the top left field and press the button to get what appears to be verification of the steer in Japanese. If anyone can interpret that would be great.

HTH, Doug
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon May 16, 2016 6:59 pm

Great idea, but the math is all wrong. Who's going to pay the chef and the cooks and pay for the sides? Who's going to pay the servers who serve it? Sorry, guys, but just splitting the cost of the protein among 11 people is not the whole story, unless you're cooking and serving it at your place and paying for everything else.

This is basically the same deal with people who go to restaurants and then complain "I could have made this at home for less." Sure, you could have, but would you have had the beverage service, the linen, the wine, the expertise of the cooks, the timing of service, the warm bread, etc.?
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon May 16, 2016 8:05 pm

I'll cook that steak for you. I just ask for one bite in payment
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

by juan.molina » Tue May 17, 2016 1:23 pm

Marsha L. wrote:Great idea, but the math is all wrong. Who's going to pay the chef and the cooks and pay for the sides? Who's going to pay the servers who serve it? Sorry, guys, but just splitting the cost of the protein among 11 people is not the whole story, unless you're cooking and serving it at your place and paying for everything else.

This is basically the same deal with people who go to restaurants and then complain "I could have made this at home for less." Sure, you could have, but would you have had the beverage service, the linen, the wine, the expertise of the cooks, the timing of service, the warm bread, etc.?

The idea was not to go to a restaurant but cook it ourselves. If I wanted to go to a restaurant I wouldn't of had the thought of buying it myself.
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

by juan.molina » Tue May 17, 2016 1:24 pm

RonnieD wrote:I'll cook that steak for you. I just ask for one bite in payment

That's some expensive meat to overcook or cook wrong!
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Tue May 17, 2016 2:41 pm

What are you implying Juan?
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

by juan.molina » Tue May 17, 2016 3:06 pm

RonnieD wrote:What are you implying Juan?

I was glad you volunteered. I wouldn't want the pressure of cooking such an expensive meat.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Tue May 17, 2016 10:18 pm

juan.molina wrote:
RonnieD wrote:What are you implying Juan?

I was glad you volunteered. I wouldn't want the pressure of cooking such an expensive meat.

:D You're not wrong, but it would also be a rare chance to be able to work with such a unique item.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY