Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

Hope For A "Cursed" Location?

by Mike D » Mon May 16, 2016 8:25 am

A few weeks ago I noticed a sign indicating that a Thai restaurant is planned for the Frankfort Avenue / Clifton corner that has seen several failed Cuban-themed restaurants over the last few years. This morning I came across an article that provides some information. The restaurateur is a woman who has significant experience in running Thai places. She plans to be open June/July and serve only Thai food.

I hope she succeeds. We like Thai food and patronize Simply Thai in St. Matthews. As a Crescent Hill resident, I'll welcome a good Thai place that I can walk to.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Hope For A "Cursed" Location?

by Robin Garr » Mon May 16, 2016 8:50 am

I've been watching that development closely, Mike! Do you have a link to the article about it?

I hope it thrives, but from talks with folks involved in the Frankfort Avenue business community, I'm only cautiously hopeful, as the place reportedly has issues both with a less-than-practical kitchen arrangement and a landlord who's said to be "demanding."
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mike D » Mon May 16, 2016 9:10 am

Robin Garr wrote:I've been watching that development closely, Mike! Do you have a link to the article about it?

I hope it thrives, but from talks with folks involved in the Frankfort Avenue business community, I'm only cautiously hopeful, as the place reportedly has issues both with a less-than-practical kitchen arrangement and a landlord who's said to be "demanding."

Robin, I get daily emails from Insider Louisville. That's where I saw the article.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 16, 2016 9:34 am

Mike D wrote:That's where I saw the article.

Thanks, Mike! I was thinking that I had posted something about it previously, but it was pretty minimal, just "I noticed a sign out front." :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23986&p=177659
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon May 16, 2016 8:02 pm

yeah, from what I understand the "curse" on this location has more to do with LL issues than location, location, location. That's a tough curse to overcome.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Mike D » Tue May 17, 2016 9:11 am

RonnieD wrote:yeah, from what I understand the "curse" on this location has more to do with LL issues than location, location, location. That's a tough curse to overcome.

Over the years I've seen numerous comments about landlord issues as they relate to retail in general and restaurants in particular. In a case like this, where it seems like the storefront has been vacant about as much as it's been occupied, wouldn't a landlord eventually find it prudent to make accommodations in order to get and keep a viable business? Or has each of the recent restaurateurs (Cubana, Riviera Maya, TropiCuba, now this Thai place) signed a relatively long-term lease that is generating income for the landlord whether the space is occupied or not, so the landlord basically doesn't care if the business is successful?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 17, 2016 11:35 am

Mike D wrote:... so the landlord basically doesn't care if the business is successful?

Mike, I can't speak to this specific situation, but I've seen enough restaurants killed (and other "graveyard sites") in which it appears that the landlord simply wasn't realistic in his or her expectations, and neither logical thinking nor common sense appeared to be in play.

Again, I'm not talking about this specific case, since I don't know the particulars. I understand the property owner also owns H & D Brass Polishing, across the street at 2219 Frankfort Ave., so he can presumably look out his front window and see when the place is vacant. :oops:
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue May 17, 2016 2:39 pm

It makes no sense to me either. One would think the LL would want someone, anyone maybe, in there generating revenue. But I have seen it all too often where the LL's expectations are simply unrealistic, or their secondary requirements are bizarre (business must close by 10pm, tenant is responsible for infrastructural concerns, etc.)
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY