Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Palermo Viejo?

no avatar
User

NicoleC

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:09 pm

Cherokee Triangle

Palermo Viejo?

by NicoleC » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:01 pm

We recently moved to the area and are going to have our first childless night out for dinner. We want to be able to walk somewhere (we're in Cherokee Triangle) and go somewhere with a fun atmosphere and good food. We don't want anything on the higher end (Jack Fry's, Seviche, Asiateque, etc) for this night out. Just a place where we can relax, have decent wine and a good meal.

I was thinking of the Spanish place on Bardstown and my husband suggested that we try the Argentinian place instead. Is it pretty good? I read Robin's review on the website, but the review I read was rather old.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Palermo Viejo?

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:08 pm

NicoleC wrote:my husband suggested that we try the Argentinian place instead. Is it pretty good? I read Robin's review on the website, but the review I read was rather old.

It's outstanding! Go! You'll love it.

Here's a more recent review. The alphabetical list doesn't update automatically with the new LouisvilleHotBytes blog software, so it tends to get out of date. Best to use the search space at the upper-right corner of the home page to get the most recent reports.
Palermo Viejo and more
no avatar
User

NicoleC

{ RANK }

Foodie

Cherokee Triangle

by NicoleC » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:20 pm

Robin, Thanks! I left a message for a reservation.

We had an Argentinian restaurant that we loved in our old Chicago neighborhood. I'm excited to have another one so close by.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:04 pm

Nicole,

We have two kids, so I know what you are talking about and Palermo is an excellent choice for what you describe.

Have a great night out,
Deb
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:15 pm

You can also make a reservation for Palermo at opentable.com

Have the parillada de bifes. It's delectable!
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
no avatar
User

Scott_Shreffler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:05 pm

I heart Palermo

by Scott_Shreffler » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:39 pm

Palermo Viejo is hands down my favorite restaurant in this entire city (with sincere apologies to L&N, Jack Fry's, Maido, Seviche, Cafe Lou Lou and the many, many others on my top ten list. Yes, there are more than ten on there). The value, quality, service and ambience are all exceptional. I always suggest the Lomo (tenderloin), but you really can't go wrong with anything that comes with the Chimichurri sauce. Additionally, do yourself a favor and order the cheese plate to start. It was rightfully named one of the top in the city by, I believe, Louisville Magazine. One last thing, I don't normally do dessert, but you have to save room for the crepe filled with dulce de lece and topped with roasted banana ice cream. Aside from L&N's Creme Brulee, it is the best dessert in town. Anyway, have a great time. I am sure it will quickly become a favorite of yours.

p.s. I am not on the payroll there. I'm just an enormous fan.

Scott Shreffler
Schlafly Beer
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
-Hunter S. Thompson
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:05 pm

Nicole, You MUST order the fries! With whatever you get! Also ask for a side of the chimichuri SP? sauce for dipping! It is the best thing you will ever have! My husband and I are addicted to them. He swears they sprinkle crack on them LOL! Enjoy! Let's us know how it goes....
no avatar
User

Will Gaines

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:32 am

Louisville

by Will Gaines » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:24 pm

This is one of my favorite places in town (and there are many good ones). Price, atmosphere, food...everything is great. If you appreciate Argentinian food you will love it.
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

by Gretchen D. » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:29 am

If the Spanish place you were considering is De La Torres, don't waste your time or money there. I had my only negative experience with local dining in Louisville at that restaurant, and the owners never even had the decency to respond to my letter of complaint.

However, Palermo is one of the city's gems!!! Everyone has given you great advice, but my favorites are the short ribs and sweetbreads (which you can order as an appetizer). Mmmm, I am getting hungry!

Welcome to Louisville and Bon Apetite!
no avatar
User

Will Gaines

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:32 am

Louisville

by Will Gaines » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:34 pm

Also consider trying the Provletta (provolone grilled in a bit of oil and seasoned), fresh made ravioli's, and of course the beef filet. They will actually cut the filet to order and serve with some of the best chimichurra sauce I have ever tasted. I am proud to say I currently hold the record at 27 ounces!
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:33 pm

Oh yes the provoletta, it is sooooo goooood
no avatar
User

NicoleC

{ RANK }

Foodie

Cherokee Triangle

by NicoleC » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:52 pm

We went last night and it was fabulous! We started with the Provoletta and then I had the Lomo. Sadly, we didn't have enough room for dessert, so we'll have to try the crepe next time!

We were stunned when the bill came -- it is such an affordable restaurant for the quality, atmosphere and service. We will definitely become regulars! I can't wait to try everything on the menu.
no avatar
User

Solomon Gayman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:47 am

highlands

by Solomon Gayman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:35 am

awesome french fries!!! Good service and solid atmosphere for the price.