Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Say it ain’t so, Doc! Your Cantina disappoints

by Robin Garr » Wed May 11, 2016 11:35 am

Say it ain’t so, Doc! Your Cantina disappoints

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Where's the beef? Doc's Cantina's lengua tacos

What’s up, Doc? We brought high hopes to your new Cantina but left bewildered, leaving unfinished one of the worst restaurant meals I’ve had since we chose a Denny’s for lunch in Denver in 1992.

I don’t get it. You guys are doing so well at Doc’s other place, Doc Crow’s. You knocked the ball out of the park with Basa. And I’m still crying over the loss of Le Coop. You guys can do it! You’ve got skills!

But somehow your passion got left behind when you opened this promising new riverfront venture last month. What’s up with that, Doc?

You replaced Tumbleweed, Doc! That’s a mighty low bar! Looking on the bright side, you made the place look great, spiffying up the interior with eye-catching Mexican designs in pretty pastels. Creative angles divide the large space into more intimate sections. You’ve invested in quality tableware and heavy, rough-hewn tables.

Plus, the riverfront views are amazing! You’ve got local drinks guru Brett Davis on your team, and that guarantees an excellent bar program and intriguing wine list. Our server, Sarah, was friendly. This is all good.

But sweet Jayzus! The food! And the time it took to get it to the table! Doc, Doc, Doc. Bless your heart, man, you can do better than this. Er, you can, can’t you?

Let’s start at the beginning. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?p=5582

See this column also in LEO Weekly:
http://www.leoweekly.com/2016/05/say-ai ... sappoints/

Doc’s Cantina
1201 River Road
822-6732
http://docscantina.com
https://facebook.com/DocsCantina
Robin Garr's rating: 74 points
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

Re: Say it ain’t so, Doc! Your Cantina disappoints

by Steve Eslinger » Wed May 11, 2016 11:40 am

Ouch, I admit I haven't seen/heard much positive feedback about the place, but I didn't expect this kind of review. This may be the most negative one I've seen from you, Robin. I've never been to Doc Crow's, and my one trip to Basa was thoroughly underwhelming for all in our party, but I'm certainly in no hurry to visit this place as it's clear they have a LOT to work on.
no avatar
User

John NA

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:09 pm

by John NA » Wed May 11, 2016 11:43 am

Wow. Scratch that one off my list.

This was a really good, bad review. By this I mean that you articulated what was wrong with the restaurant. I had a sense of you dining experience and have some idea of what to expect or not expect. I've seen bad reviews in the CJ and they are bad, bad reviews. Thank you for reminding me that this job can actually be done competently and well.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 11, 2016 12:07 pm

Steve Eslinger wrote:I've never been to Doc Crow's ...

Doc Crow's is good, Steve, and while I haven't been to Basa for some time, I've liked it very much in the past. That's why this painful fail is so surprising.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 11, 2016 12:08 pm

John NA wrote:This was a really good, bad review.

:oops:
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Wed May 11, 2016 12:25 pm

I am questioning my lack of superstition.

There must be a curse on Waterfront restaurants in Kyiana.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed May 11, 2016 12:33 pm

If this was April 1 I would think I was reading your April fool joke restaurant review but it isn't! I haven't heard much good about this restaurant but as you mentioned with the owner's background I expected it to do great things. This is certainly the least complementary review that I've ever read by you or anyone else! I'm glad you didn't hold the punches and I would really like to see what comes out of the CJ if they ever get around to reviewing it.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Wed May 11, 2016 1:28 pm

I'm betting Robin recently re-read the review of Guy Fieri's place in Times Square.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 11, 2016 1:30 pm

Richard S. wrote:I'm betting Robin recently re-read the review of Guy Fieri's place in Times Square.

I loved that review, but I certainly didn't try to emulate it here. I have my own voice, and prefer to use it. ;)
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Wed May 11, 2016 1:40 pm

Oh, I wasn't implying plagiarism, just inspiration.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 11, 2016 2:31 pm

Richard S. wrote:Oh, I wasn't implying plagiarism, just inspiration.

Oh, I didn't think you meant that, Richard! But I wanted to emphasize that this work was independent. Not really influenced by Pete's report in any way.
no avatar
User

bob.durbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:20 am

by bob.durbin » Wed May 11, 2016 2:40 pm

My first job upon moving to Louisville was opening El Camino. The original chef there is now the corporate chef for Falls City Hospitality. A lot of the original guys who helped open El Camino went to work with him when the cantina idea was finalized. I know these guys are really talented and experienced so the only real reason I see this place having such an issue is because of the HUGE menu. It seems like they're trying to cater to everyone that walks through the door. Trying to execute a menu that size and maintain the quality people expect is super tough. Hope they get it together sooner than later.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Wed May 11, 2016 2:48 pm

"Fatality. Slawless Victory."
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 11, 2016 4:11 pm

bob.durbin wrote:My first job upon moving to Louisville was opening El Camino. The original chef there is now the corporate chef for Falls City Hospitality. A lot of the original guys who helped open El Camino went to work with him when the cantina idea was finalized. I know these guys are really talented and experienced so the only real reason I see this place having such an issue is because of the HUGE menu. It seems like they're trying to cater to everyone that walks through the door. Trying to execute a menu that size and maintain the quality people expect is super tough. Hope they get it together sooner than later.

They cut the menu in half two or three weeks ago. (As noted in the review, they neglected to update it on their website and social media, however. :( )
no avatar
User

bob.durbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:20 am

by bob.durbin » Wed May 11, 2016 5:05 pm

They cut the menu in half two or three weeks ago. (As noted in the review, they neglected to update it on their website and social media, however. :( )

It doesn't show that menu change on the website either from what I can tell. Even if you cut that menu in half, you're still looking at 30 different dishes. That's a lot in any restaurant, let alone one that's geared to do that much business in such a large space, to put out with any type of real consistency in quality.
Next