Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

bob.durbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:20 am

Re: Say it ain’t so, Doc! Your Cantina disappoints

by bob.durbin » Fri May 13, 2016 11:13 am

Ron Johnson wrote:Exactly the response I expected from Brett Davis. Classy, non-defensive, accepting responsibility and promising to do better. Brett is a class act, and I am sure he will whip this place into shape in no time.

Really? It seems like every post from this guy has been defending their mishaps and screw ups. He nearly calls diners stupid for not understanding refried black beans instead of saying yeah sorry black beans are pasty and thick when you refry them. Because, guess what, black beans ARE pasty and thick and not usually very good as refritos.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri May 13, 2016 11:53 am

bob.durbin wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:Exactly the response I expected from Brett Davis. Classy, non-defensive, accepting responsibility and promising to do better. Brett is a class act, and I am sure he will whip this place into shape in no time.

Really? It seems like every post from this guy has been defending their mishaps and screw ups. He nearly calls diners stupid for not understanding refried black beans instead of saying yeah sorry black beans are pasty and thick when you refry them. Because, guess what, black beans ARE pasty and thick and not usually very good as refritos.

I certainly agree he also seemed quite defensive about why Robin didn't like their Salsa and Guacamole.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri May 13, 2016 1:40 pm

I also appreciated the response. I still contend that they probably opened before they were ready with the Derby week on the horizon, then flopped. Given their prior experience, I'll try it, but will wait until mid-summer.

Their menu changes and adjustments remind me a bit of Havana Rumba Express on Bardstown Road. They quickly changed, trying to different menu/service formats before settlng on what they are now, which is basically like their other two locations. They've done well after what was, probably, six months of up and down expecations.
no avatar
User

StephenBowles

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:34 pm

by StephenBowles » Fri May 13, 2016 4:42 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:Hope this serves as a wake up call to really start making some changes. Love the locale and see the potential.

Ditto..
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sat May 14, 2016 8:35 am

Well, it wasn't all bad: "flavorless cilantro" - that sounds like the best cilantro ever!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 14, 2016 9:32 am

Jay M. wrote:Well, it wasn't all bad: "flavorless cilantro" - that sounds like the best cilantro ever!

It was intended as a complaint. :mrgreen:
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon May 16, 2016 8:44 am

Heard from a pretty food-savvy friend who ate at Doc's yesterday. He said he found the food quite good, and the service was fine. Here's hoping things are improving!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 16, 2016 8:48 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Heard from a pretty food-savvy friend who ate at Doc's yesterday. He said he found the food quite good, and the service was fine. Here's hoping things are improving!

Keep us posted, Jeff and everyone. If they do turn the corner, I'll certainly go back.
no avatar
User

GriffinPaulin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:34 pm

by GriffinPaulin » Tue May 17, 2016 1:22 pm

The place is massive. It's tough to maintain order and consistency in a place so huge. Almost no amount of pre-op training can prepare you for 400 people at once.

I cringed reading this review. They'll figure it out.
Griffin Paulin

I cook food.
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

by juan.molina » Tue May 17, 2016 1:28 pm

I think it would have been more fair if the review was done a few months down the road to let the new restaurant work out the kinks. I usually don't patronize a new restaurant for a few months for this reason. I don't agree with giving a brand new place bad press like this, especially a local when they haven't have time to get their ducks in a row. Just my opinion.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 17, 2016 2:09 pm

juan.molina wrote:I think it would have been more fair if the review was done a few months down the road to let the new restaurant work out the kinks. I usually don't patronize a new restaurant for a few months for this reason. I don't agree with giving a brand new place bad press like this, especially a local when they haven't have time to get their ducks in a row. Just my opinion.

Here's the deal: I almost always allow a month for duck-organizing. That seems fair. After that, they're fair game. In this case, the negative buzz was so loud that I felt obliged to check it out.

Also, I hope this doesn't sound mean, but although I like a lot of folks in the business locally, I don't review to make them feel good. I review to let the dining public know what's up, as fairly and as honestly as I can. Sadly, the trajectory here was so startling that we really needed an authoritative voice rather than leaving the public discussion to the Yelpers.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue May 17, 2016 2:42 pm

juan.molina wrote: I usually don't patronize a new restaurant for a few months for this reason.

This is how local businesses go out of business.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

juan.molina

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

by juan.molina » Tue May 17, 2016 3:03 pm

RonnieD wrote:
juan.molina wrote: I usually don't patronize a new restaurant for a few months for this reason.

This is how local businesses go out of business.

I support local restaurants by trying to eat at locals as exclusively as I can. I just don't rush to a brand new restaurant when they first open. When I go is obviously up to me.

There was quite a buzz that Doc's was packed. Such a big restaurant, a new concept, being brand new and being packed was a clue to me that things may not be great there yet. Along with feedback from diners that had posted reviews it was common sense that this place wasn't hitting on all cylinders yet.

It was easy enough to figure that out myself before this review. This review hurt the business much more than me waiting for them to work the kinks out. The review wasn't in the CJ which has a much higher circulation and online audience which would have hurt the business even more. I guess they can count their blessings for that.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue May 17, 2016 3:40 pm

The restaurant decides when they are ready to open their doors and merit earning the public's money. No one else makes that decision for them. These guys weren't rookies, they know the score. Bad reviews are never good news but at least they know now where they dropped the ball and where they need to improve as oppose to the public simply "staying away in droves" . (Apologies to Mr. Durocher.)
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 17, 2016 3:57 pm

juan.molina wrote:The review wasn't in the CJ which has a much higher circulation and online audience which would have hurt the business even more. I guess they can count their blessings for that.

Actually, that's not true. The CJ used to have that kind of influence, but its shrinking circulation and failing overall interest have pretty much flushed it. Or is this a troll?
PreviousNext