Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Re: Say it ain’t so, Doc! Your Cantina disappoints

by Richard S. » Wed May 18, 2016 4:11 pm

Doesn't necessarily mean that those people are reading the restaurant review. On the other hand, I had to wait for more than an hour several times at Mussel & Burger after it became a hot topic here. I'd bet that the people who visit LHB act on the opinions expressed at a much higher rate than readers of the CJ.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 18, 2016 4:15 pm

Mike D wrote:This retired actuary, to whom numbers are everything, is having trouble following your logic.

Mike, I'm just talking about the restaurant reviews! You're comparing full circulation numbers: Apples versus the whole apple orchard. HotBytes, with hundreds of thousands of visits per month, almost certainly has more eyes on the restaurant review - it's a now-waste visit - than the full, overall content of either newspaper. And the impact of reviews, in general, anecdotally bears that out.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Mike D wrote:This retired actuary, to whom numbers are everything, is having trouble following your logic.

Mike, I'm just talking about the restaurant reviews! You're comparing full circulation numbers: Apples versus the whole apple orchard. HotBytes, with hundreds of thousands of visits per month, almost certainly has more eyes on the restaurant review - it's a no-waste visit - than the full, overall content of either newspaper. And the impact of reviews, in general, anecdotally bears that out.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed May 18, 2016 4:29 pm

Well, when newspapers are being given away and even then not taken advantage of, circulation means very little. Readership is what counts and those numbers are compiled by independent accountants for the very reason that circulation numbers can be, well, dinked.

Given that the CJ is the only local daily paper for the city the size of Louisville you'd think even their circulation numbers (bogus or not) would be better. The CJ is a sad sad shadow of what it once was. And since it's never had to contend with another daily for competition there is no excuse. :roll:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Fri May 20, 2016 5:53 pm

Two of the greatest losses in Louisville were created by the Binghams' selling the CJ, and Mohler taking over the Baptist Seminary.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Fri May 20, 2016 7:03 pm

Margie L wrote:?...Mohler taking over the Baptist Seminary.

At the risk of taking this thread farther off topic, how were the Binghams involved in that?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 20, 2016 9:29 pm

Jay M. wrote:
Margie L wrote:?...Mohler taking over the Baptist Seminary.

At the risk of taking this thread farther off topic, how were the Binghams involved in that?

I took Margie to be saying "the two worst (unrelated) things ... were (A) and (B).

On the other hand, if somebody's selling the idea that Gannett turned over SBTS to the religious right, I might buy it. :mrgreen:
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Fri May 20, 2016 9:47 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I took Margie to be saying "the two worst (unrelated) things ... were (A) and (B).

OK, I see. My brain mistakenly inserted a colon after "Binghams'". The power of punctuation!!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 21, 2016 7:26 am

Jay M. wrote:OK, I see. My brain mistakenly inserted a colon after "Binghams'". The power of punctuation!!

No harm, no foul. Plus, I actually enjoyed messing in my mind with the idea of Gannett somehow being behind the Seminary takeover. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Sat May 21, 2016 11:26 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Jay M. wrote:OK, I see. My brain mistakenly inserted a colon after "Binghams'". The power of punctuation!!

No harm, no foul. Plus, I actually enjoyed messing in my mind with the idea of Gannett somehow being behind the Seminary takeover. :mrgreen:

Darned phrasing. I wouldn't put it past Gannett, though.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 21, 2016 11:46 am

Margie L wrote:Darned phrasing. I wouldn't put it past Gannett, though.

no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Mon May 23, 2016 7:31 pm

My 2 friends and I just dined here. Forget free parking at 5 pm, be prepared to pay $3 across the street. We got a pitcher of Margaritas. They had some kick and were tasty, not too sweet. The lime flavored chips and salsa were good, the Queso was milk thin. I had to ask for plates, because it dripped off chips. Flavor, just okay. Service was friendly and prompt. Shoot, they even tried to bring us a free drink and a plate of nachos! Lol! My friends had chicken fajitas. They were good, one loved the jalapeños in mix, the other did not. Guacamole was very boring as were the beans. I had the seafood paella. What a mess. I worried that the spice would be over the top. It was spicy, but that covered up the lack of flavor and the gluey consistency of the rice. The shrimp were edible. The mussels were mush. The worst part was the calamari, which was heavily breaded and fried and sitting on top of the dish. Salty,overlooked and totally dry, there could have been rubber bands inside the breading. Lovely setting, not worth returning for me.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Mon May 23, 2016 11:56 pm

Linda C wrote:My 2 friends and I just dined here. Forget free parking at 5 pm, be prepared to pay $3 across the street. We got a pitcher of Margaritas. They had some kick and were tasty, not too sweet. The lime flavored chips and salsa were good, the Queso was milk thin. I had to ask for plates, because it dripped off chips. Flavor, just okay. Service was friendly and prompt. Shoot, they even tried to bring us a free drink and a plate of nachos! Lol! My friends had chicken fajitas. They were good, one loved the jalapeños in mix, the other did not. Guacamole was very boring as were the beans. I had the seafood paella. What a mess. I worried that the spice would be over the top. It was spicy, but that covered up the lack of flavor and the gluey consistency of the rice. The shrimp were edible. The mussels were mush. The worst part was the calamari, which was heavily breaded and fried and sitting on top of the dish. Salty,overlooked and totally dry, there could have been rubber bands inside the breading. Lovely setting, not worth returning for me.

Sounds like the CJ lady gives it 3 1/2 stars
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue May 24, 2016 8:10 am

Steve Shade wrote:
Sounds like the CJ lady gives it 3 1/2 stars

:lol:
no avatar
User

scott.shanklin

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:44 pm

by scott.shanklin » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:14 pm

Ate here in April after the Garth Brooks concert. The crowd was light and they were over staffed.

Was blown away by how bad it was. I thought that since it was affiliated with Doc Crows, that they would have it right.

If anything, so much staff would indicate a focus on service, but I was wrong there.

Service was terrible and the food was worse. Frankly Taco Bell could provide a better taco and I haven't had one of those for over 20 years.

Perhaps the site is taken for granted and expected to makeup for the garbage they are passing off as food.

Sad to see.
Previous